Booking a shorter cruise that's part of a longer one (Guarantee Only ?)

Cruiser Andi

I am booking a 7 day cruise that is the last part of a longer 12 day cruise. Right now, on the 12 day segment, you can choose your stateroom. The 7 day portion is guarantee only. Is this normal? And if so, when do they generally allow people to choose their room or is it a game of roulette?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am booking a 7 day cruise that is the last part of a longer 12 day cruise. Right now, on the 12 day segment, you can choose your stateroom. The 7 day portion is guarantee only. Is this normal? And if so, when do they generally allow people to choose their room or is it a game of roulette?

Quite normal. HAL allows the people who are sailing for a longer period to have their choice of cabin, then assigns the leftovers to those on shorter segments.

People taking the full cruise aren't forced to move that way.

You may or may not ever reach a period when you can select a cabin for a shorter segment. You can ask your TA to see if HAL will take a cabin out of inventory to allow you to pick a specific cabin, but don't get your hopes high for a positive response.

Quite normal. HAL allows the people who are sailing for a longer period to have their choice of cabin, then assigns the leftovers to those on shorter segments.

People taking the full cruise aren't forced to move that way.

You may or may not ever reach a period when you can select a cabin for a shorter segment. You can ask your TA to see if HAL will take a cabin out of inventory to allow you to pick a specific cabin, but don't get your hopes high for a positive response.

This sentence tells it all: "People taking the full cruise aren't forced to move that way. "

IMO Psgrs on the longer cruises should always have first choice & take priority..:)

Thank you both for the responses. It's a repositioning cruise from Vancouver for the end of Alaska to San Diego for the Mexico season. I've never done a guarantee before because it scares me. [emoji4] I don't want to be stuck by the showroom or under the galley. I'll take a look at deck plans and see if I can find a category of room that would keep me away from those areas.

Thank you both for the responses. It's a repositioning cruise from Vancouver for the end of Alaska to San Diego for the Mexico season. I've never done a guarantee before because it scares me. [emoji4] I don't want to be stuck by the showroom or under the galley. I'll take a look at deck plans and see if I can find a category of room that would keep me away from those areas.

This plan may not work, as often GUARs are assigned up. Not always, but there is a high probability of not being assigned the category (ie: J, D, etc) you book. That is the standard GUAR booking norm, whether segmented cruise or not.

Look at it this way: you could pick your own cabin and end up with problems that were not evident, a cabin that was not in fact as good as you thought it should be.

You'll likely do well and enjoy the cruise immensely!

Edited by SilvertoGold

This plan may not work, as often GUARs are assigned up. Not always, but there is a high probability of not being assigned the category (ie: J, D, etc) you book. That is the standard GUAR booking norm, whether segmented cruise or not.

Look at it this way: you could pick your own cabin and end up with problems that were not evident, a cabin that was not in fact as good as you thought it should be.

You'll likely do well and enjoy the cruise immensely!

Very true! [emoji4] This may turn out to be a good thing and I could end up booking guarantees in the future. I'm doing the last 7 days which is the Mexico portion. This segment is exceptionally priced starting at $599 for an inside and the cruise isn't until the first week of October 2017. For the price it's worth rolling the dice and seeing what happens.