Caribbean questions

groovechick

After what seems like an eternity our Caribbean cruise is finally coming closer (6 months and counting!) and one or two questions are starting to crop up. From reading the forums I understand the islands are generally pretty safe and the islanders friendly and helpful, but how does that go for carrying moderately expensive (digital SLR) camera equipment on excursions ashore (we will probably be mostly DIY)? We will take all the sensible precautions, but if DH wants to snap away as we tour an island he will want to have the camera slung round his neck. Is this advisable? Would it be safe to leave camera cases etc. on a local tour guide's locked van when we get out to visit a particular attraction?

Also are nasty, bitey things (mozzies etc.) much of a problem in mid- to late December? Is heavy duty insect repellent required? In the past this has not been a problem for me, but last year I got a bite (here in the UK) which got badly infected and took a long time to heal, so am anxious to avoid a rerun. DH also has a history of bites giving him blood poisoning, requiring antibiotics, so I want to be well prepared.

Hi,

Been to the Caribbean a few times and have never felt un safe, I would make sure if your doing DIY that you there are still plenty of people around. I would say just take care like you would anywhere in the world.

Mozzies seem to like me to but never been bitten in the Caribbean, on saying that never been in December.

What islands are you going to. Have a good time enjoy love the Caribbean.

Lyn

We tend to wander around with cameras around our necks - never felt uncomfortable or worried in the Caribbean although we have generally been in touristy areas and not off the beaten track. Your DH may well have a more expensive camera than those we use though. Might having it in a case around the neck be an idea when not actively taking shots? At least it's not on display all the time and identifiable as an expensive piece of kit. Not heard of anyone being victim to a camera theft on our visits though. But I do think it's sensible to be aware and take reasonable precautions - wherever you are. I wouldn't leave it in the tour operator's vehicle when visiting attractions as you can bet your bottom dollar that you will want to photgraph something when you're in there!!!

We take 50% Deet and use it in the Caribbean - especially if you take a tour into the interior (like the tropical gardens/forests in Dominica). Mossies in general are most active early morning and evening when you will likely be on board then and there isn't a problem on the ship. But that's not the case with all - see the link below.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-caribbean

So it's as well to be protected. They recommend the use of insect repellent.

DH is one of those people who attracts insects - he was once like a pin cushion after we sat on towels on the sand in Aruba (guess that was sand flies). Since then we never sit directly on the sand and always have sun loungers! But we also use Deet everyday. Don't use the suncream with insect repellent included - it's not strong enough. And 50% is recommended as a minimum for areas where mosquitoes are active. Boots sell their own version and Jungle Formula is another. We find it works for us.

I also have bad reactions to insect bites so have to take antihistamines when there is a risk (probability in my case) that I will be bitten. I take a one a day antihistamine (I.e Piriton) for the duration of my trip and if I do get bitten don't suffer bad reactions. I also use Deet. My family use me as their defense since the mozzies always go straight for me and leave them alone :)

Hi,

Been to the Caribbean a few times and have never felt un safe, I would make sure if your doing DIY that you there are still plenty of people around. I would say just take care like you would anywhere in the world.

Mozzies seem to like me to but never been bitten in the Caribbean, on saying that never been in December.

What islands are you going to. Have a good time enjoy love the Caribbean.

Lyn

Thanks lindyloo22. We honeymooned on St Lucia, so this is why DH was keen to return to the Caribbean for our silver anniversary, but we couldn't get a cruise calling at St Lucia that fitted our dates. We are calling at Aruba, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Tortola, St Maarten, Antigua, Dominica and Grenada. Can't wait!

Your DH may well have a more expensive camera than those we use though. Might having it in a case around the neck be an idea when not actively taking shots? At least it's not on display all the time and identifiable as an expensive piece of kit. Not heard of anyone being victim to a camera theft on our visits though. But I do think it's sensible to be aware and take reasonable precautions - wherever you are. I wouldn't leave it in the tour operator's vehicle when visiting attractions as you can bet your bottom dollar that you will want to photgraph something when you're in there!!!

We take 50% Deet and use it in the Caribbean - especially if you take a tour into the interior (like the tropical gardens/forests in Dominica). Mossies in general are most active early morning and evening when you will likely be on board then and there isn't a problem on the ship. But that's not the case with all - see the link below.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-caribbean

So it's as well to be protected. They recommend the use of insect repellent.

DH is one of those people who attracts insects - he was once like a pin cushion after we sat on towels on the sand in Aruba (guess that was sand flies). Since then we never sit directly on the sand and always have sun loungers! But we also use Deet everyday. Don't use the suncream with insect repellent included - it's not strong enough. And 50% is recommended as a minimum for areas where mosquitoes are active. Boots sell their own version and Jungle Formula is another. We find it works for us.

Thanks Kruzseeka. DH's camera is in the low to mid price range, a fairly recent acquisition so he is keen to make the most of it. Absolutely take your point about sensible precautions, which we would always take, esp. as we have teens with us. Ouch, your poor hubby re the sand flies! I will be sure to get us sun loungers if we do a beach break.

I also have bad reactions to insect bites so have to take antihistamines when there is a risk (probability in my case) that I will be bitten. I take a one a day antihistamine (I.e Piriton) for the duration of my trip and if I do get bitten don't suffer bad reactions. I also use Deet. My family use me as their defense since the mozzies always go straight for me and leave them alone :)

That's a brilliant idea Triplalot! I would always carry some with me just in case, so will make sure I have a good supply. There was a very interesting feature last year about the scientific reasons why some people *always* get bitten and others hardly ever. I would have put myself in the former category until the bad bite last year - maybe I was just unlucky. Our daughter, OTOH, only has to step outside the door, even here at home, and she comes under attack. :(

Groovechick I think your daughter has the same problem as me. My worst bite was from an Horse Fly in the UK which bit my foot (bare foot in sandals) whilst walking through grass, my foot and lower leg swelled to about 3 times it's normal size and took weeks to recover, not a pretty sight :)

If OH is the one who takes the pix, might be worth you being the one with the money/cards. He can then concentrate just on taking the perfect pix.

I take the pix out of us 2, and OH is the one who carries money/cards.

We wandered round all the touristy spot ok.

I am also the one who gets bitten. Badly normally.

I used to take deet stuff with me. However it is a nasty thing, and it can damage plastics (sunglasses) ,and the cautions on the bottle are soo long I decided to look for alternatives.

I took this with us last November to the Carribean, and I didn't get bitten by anything once.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Incognito-Natural-Anti-Mozzie-Camouflage-Repellent/dp/B001EJOHYG

def. something worth looking into.

Enjoy your cruise.

Groovechick I think your daughter has the same problem as me. My worst bite was from an Horse Fly in the UK which bit my foot (bare foot in sandals) whilst walking through grass, my foot and lower leg swelled to about 3 times it's normal size and took weeks to recover, not a pretty sight :)

That sounds awful Triplalot. Daughter just gets bitten lots but doesn't react particularly badly. Husband has several times had to get antibiotics when bites have turned to blood poisoning within 24 hours or so. I am dreading when ticks get to our part of the world.

I take my cameras everywhere I go on holiday. I use a lowerpro slingshot bag which fits all around my chest and shoulder so that I can carry lenses and spare batteries. I have also made sure that our home insurance covers my kit when we are on holiday.

I have never felt threatened anywhere in the Caribbean except for Jamaica and that was more being pursued through a local market and pestered to buy trinkets. :eek:

I'm the one that always gets bitten (both at home and abroad) and my local pharmacy advised me to take garlic capsules which really do seem to have cut down the effects but I also used Avons Skin so Soft oil which, believe it or not, really does deter the nasty little bugs!!

Enjoy your cruise, we are off to the Caribbean again in February and really looking forward to it. :D

Peter

If OH is the one who takes the pix, might be worth you being the one with the money/cards. He can then concentrate just on taking the perfect pix.

I used to take deet stuff with me. However it is a nasty thing, and it can damage plastics (sunglasses) ,and the cautions on the bottle are soo long I decided to look for alternatives.

I took this with us last November to the Carribean, and I didn't get bitten by anything once.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Incognito-Natural-Anti-Mozzie-Camouflage-Repellent/dp/B001EJOHYG

def. something worth looking into.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you english lady. I like taking pix too, but nowhere near as much as OH. Last holiday I think I took around 250, I think his tally was at least four times that. I have a Pacsafe bag I use when ashore and usually carry cards/money etc. for us. My camera is just a pocket digital, so fits in there too.

Thanks so much for the recommendation re the repellent. I much prefer natural products, so that sounds wonderful. Will stock up right away.

I'm sure we will have a great time. Looking forward to experiencing Britannia. Also an old school friend has just moved out to the Caymans for work (was previously in Canada), so we may get to meet up.

I take my cameras everywhere I go on holiday. I use a lowerpro slingshot bag which fits all around my chest and shoulder so that I can carry lenses and spare batteries. I have also made sure that our home insurance covers my kit when we are on holiday.

I'm the one that always gets bitten (both at home and abroad) and my local pharmacy advised me to take garlic capsules which really do seem to have cut down the effects but I also used Avons Skin so Soft oil which, believe it or not, really does deter the nasty little bugs!!

Peter

Our home insurance more than covers OH's camera equipment. He too has a camera bag although I don't think it's a slingshot.

I had heard about Avon SSS but I though they no longer made the specific version that was the best insect repellent. At least it smells nice!

Hope you enjoy your cruise when it comes around Peter!

Our home insurance more than covers OH's camera equipment. He too has a camera bag although I don't think it's a slingshot.

I had heard about Avon SSS but I though they no longer made the specific version that was the best insect repellent. At least it smells nice!

Hope you enjoy your cruise when it comes around Peter!

Hi groovechick

I believe that Avon skin so soft is still available via Amazon. (Possibly in two or three bottle sets)I friend gave me some but I haven't tried it yet as mosi repellant but hoping it works 😀

Hi groovechick

I believe that Avon skin so soft is still available via Amazon. (Possibly in two or three bottle sets)I friend gave me some but I haven't tried it yet as mosi repellant but hoping it works

Fantastic janieb. Then I can kill two birds with one stone and buy the SSS and the product recommended by the english lady at the same time. Thanks!

Hi, I've always felt pretty safe in the Caribbean Islands and agree the Islanders are friendly and helpful but it's always best to take care wherever you go. Re the Mossies..I've used Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray (Must be the Original) for years and don't get bitten. St.Lucia is particularly beautiful shame it's not on your cruise for your anniversary but I'm sure you will enjoy all the other Islands especially Tortola and St.Maarten.. Enjoy and Happy Anniversary - Cheers

After what seems like an eternity our Caribbean cruise is finally coming closer (6 months and counting!) and one or two questions are starting to crop up. From reading the forums I understand the islands are generally pretty safe and the islanders friendly and helpful, but how does that go for carrying moderately expensive (digital SLR) camera equipment on excursions ashore (we will probably be mostly DIY)? We will take all the sensible precautions, but if DH wants to snap away as we tour an island he will want to have the camera slung round his neck. Is this advisable? Would it be safe to leave camera cases etc. on a local tour guide's locked van when we get out to visit a particular attraction?

Also are nasty, bitey things (mozzies etc.) much of a problem in mid- to late December? Is heavy duty insect repellent required? In the past this has not been a problem for me, but last year I got a bite (here in the UK) which got badly infected and took a long time to heal, so am anxious to avoid a rerun. DH also has a history of bites giving him blood poisoning, requiring antibiotics, so I want to be well prepared.

Sorry forgot to mention - the Avon Skin So Soft (Original) Dry Oil Spray is still available in the UK, I would also take the Antihistamine with you just in case. Cheers

We have cruised the Caribbean a number of times during December and have never had a problem with mozzies. When taking land based holidays in the Caribben we always use insect repellant. The difference being on cruise ships is that we are usually at sea during the evening when the mozzies feed.

The other question regarding walking around with expensive cameras, again we have never felt uncomfortable on any of the Islands. On one of our first cruises to the Caribbean, we were visiting Tobago, we had taken a taxi to Pigeon Point beach, my wife and were walking down the beach when the taxi driver came running down the beach towards us clutching my expensive camcorder which I had left behind on the back seat of his taxi.....enough said.

Thank you Calypso Lady and hammers. I'm really looking forward to seeing the other islands, especially Grenada, as I'm really into cooking and spices.

hammers - there are lovely, honest people wherever you go in the world, aren't there? It is just a shame that it is usually the awful, dishonest ones who grab the headlines.

Thank you Calypso Lady and hammers. I'm really looking forward to seeing the other islands, especially Grenada, as I'm really into cooking and spices.

hammers - there are lovely, honest people wherever you go in the world, aren't there? It is just a shame that it is usually the awful, dishonest ones who grab the headlines.

Grenada is great for spices but you might be interested in going to the Sunny Caribbee spice shop if you are going to Tortola. It's definitely worth a visit and I usually take some products back as little presents. The building is pretty too and worth a photo opp.

http://sunnycaribbee.com/

Grenada is great for spices but you might be interested in going to the Sunny Caribbee spice shop if you are going to Tortola. It's definitely worth a visit and I usually take some products back as little presents. The building is pretty too and worth a photo opp.

http://sunnycaribbee.com/

By coincidence, one of my colleagues at work recommended the exact same place to me last week in a conversation.