Best spot to see glaciers on the Sun ?

uvasag

We will be sailing from Seward on the Norwegian Sun. I wanted to know the best spot on the ship to see the glaciers. Thanks.

On the top deck, bow, outside the Spinnaker Observation lounge, is an open area. It will probably be crowded but that area lets you see on both sides of the ship.

Which Glacier area is the ship visiting?

On the top deck, bow, outside the Spinnaker Observation lounge, is an open area. It will probably be crowded but that area lets you see on both sides of the ship.

Which Glacier area is the ship visiting?

Excellent place to view from the deck outside the Observation Lounge deck 12 !

But if it is crowded then any where on one of the top decks - the usual drill is

for the captain to rotate the ship into a full circle so anyone from anywhere

on the ship can see the glaciers - top deck - balcony cabins - OV cabins -

and Promenade deck 6.

Leaving the glaciers the Great Outdoors deck 11 Aft is a prime spot.

Just pray that the weather is co-operating - with low overcast skies/fog/rain

not much can be seen even with binoculars and telephoto lens.

Weather bad seek shelter and viewing in the Garden Café Buffet.

The same comments can be said for the Tracy Arm Sawyer Glacier south of Juneau.

Due to the small ship size of the NCL SUN you really should not have problems

trying to find viewing space.

The Hubbard Glacier field is usually visited in the AM (morning hours) and the

Tracy Arm/Sawyer in the PM (afternoon-pre-dusk) but these could vary.

When leaving Seward get out and about and check out where the good spots

are for that photo opt - Sun/Sets are just gorgeous.

NCL caterers to a Port stop at Icy Point Straight (Hoonan) which is not as

scenic as the port stop at Sitka frequented by Holland-America and Carnival.

Just got back from the southbound itinerary for the sun. I found the best spot for Hubbard was the deck above las ramblas and le bistro in the aft on what would be deck 13 I guess. You have to go up the stairs next to sports court outside to even find it. There was no one up there and we had some awesome calving that day.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

We just got back from the Northbound route. The observation deck outside of the observation lounge was WAY to crowded. Deck 6 was the best deck for us. We always had a position against the railing so we were never looking over someone else in front of us. Deck 6 goes all around the ship so you can see the glacier at all times - just continue to walk around as the ship turns. Another plus is that you are closer to the water so it is spectacular when you see the glacier calving.

Unfortunately, we did not get to go to Hubbard Glacier as the fog was too thick that morning.

If it's any consolation, we heard that rain seems to coincide with more calving. It was true for us last year when it was raining (lots of calving) and this year when it was sunny (almost no calving).

Thank you don't_use_real_name and Jaysun1095. Do they open up the helipad for glacier viewing ?

No Helipad on the NCL SUN - if an emergency happens the helicopter would

have to winch you off the ship in a bosun's chair; basket or gurney as there

is no place suitable to land a copter.

No Helipad on the NCL SUN - if an emergency happens the helicopter would

have to winch you off the ship in a bosun's chair; basket or gurney as there

is no place suitable to land a copter.

Don't think there is a "helipad" on the Sun.

On our Southern Caribbean cruise on the Sun a couple of years ago, I was pretty certain I found the "Helipad-deck" - that was where I went to have some QUIET time in the sun. And I was totally alone up there every single time....

Unfortunately I don't remember the exact location, except that it was on one of the top decks, and kind of "hidden"...

IMG_8707.jpg.0a5256e2ea9007d0843a88067f11d163.jpg

Edited by TrumpyNor

I haven't been on this ship but if they have a thermal spa, that is one place I would recommend.

We've been on 2 Alaska cruises on other lines and both times we relaxed in thermal spa and would view everything from their huge windows. Also a little deck outside. Most spas are near the top of the ship.

Just remember, you must be dressed to use the spa and not in street clothes.

If it's any consolation, we heard that rain seems to coincide with more calving. It was true for us last year when it was raining (lots of calving) and this year when it was sunny (almost no calving).

Thank you ravenjls. Yeah weather plays such a big part on trips to Alaska. I was just checking the forecast for Seward for next 10 days and it says rain everyday.

And if it is any more consolation, it was supposed to rain all 21 days in Norway and it only rained 3-4 :D

Edited by davesgirl51

And if it is any more consolation, it was supposed to rain all 21 days in Norway and it only rained 3-4 :D

Experienced the same for our Panama Canal cruise last October, from LA to Miami. Weather prognoses said it would rain every single day during that cruise, and we ended up having only one day with a little rain (the rest of the rain came in the night, when everybody was asleep). So I have stopped letting cruiseweather.com "ruin" my expectations for great cruise weather.... :p