Fewer formal nights

violetta58

We are going on the Queen Elizabeth in Aug for the Baltic cruise which we did many years ago and it was fantastic.When the documents arrived today I was a little shocked to see there were only 3 formal nights in the 2 week cruise .I know it is a very port intensive cruise but there are 4 sea days so I would have expected at least 4 .I love Cunard because of being able to dress up , if they are going the way of many other lines this is a shame IMHO.

We are going on the Queen Elizabeth in Aug for the Baltic cruise which we did many years ago and it was fantastic.When the documents arrived today I was a little shocked to see there were only 3 formal nights in the 2 week cruise .I know it is a very port intensive cruise but there are 4 sea days so I would have expected at least 4 .I love Cunard because of being able to dress up , if they are going the way of many other lines this is a shame IMHO.

I concur in my live of formal nights. I found similar last year on my QE med cruise. Due to the two weeks being very port intensive there were only a handful of formal nights. On cruises with more sea days you are far more likely to get more formal nights.

That said, what's to stop you dressing formally on a non formal night anyway? :) probably easier for women than for men I suppose (a tux would stand out more on an informal night).

Fortunately, 16 of my 32 nights of upcoming Cunard voyages are formal! I'm thrilled.

Lucky you!! I get what you say though and I will still take more formal dresses than needed so I can glam up !

It would be great if every night was formal night. But, I guess too much of a good thing would devalue the experience.

So long as Cunard doesn't go the way of flip flops and singlets as Princess has allowed (and many other lines embrace wholeheartedly) ill be happy.

I bet you could dress the way you like if you dress up more than the stated dress code for the evening.

I have done that a few times for a special occasion e.g. a birthday. Nobody looked askance at our group as far as I could tell.

Sometimes on the shorter voyages often labelled "booze cruises" here, I've seen groups dressed in their finest formal, the younger generation particularly, in spite of an all informal dress code in the programme. So your point is well made.

Back to the original observation, I'm fairly sure there was a Shanks edict when they changed the code that they would ensure 3 of every 7 days would be formal which seems far removed from 3 in 14 proposed for the August Baltic cruise.

M-AR

It would be great if every night was formal night. But, I guess too much of a good thing would devalue the experience.

So long as Cunard doesn't go the way of flip flops and singlets as Princess has allowed (and many other lines embrace wholeheartedly) ill be happy.

We did the Round Britain followed by a Roundtrip Atlantic, and very fortunate to be invited to the Captains Table on a Semi-Formal night with,four American and four British Guest to my amazement one of the American Guest had a Black Roundneck T-Shirt on, yes he did have a Jacket on, but I thought it was a little disrespectful to the Host Capt. Wells. So much for such a lot of American Males dress sense, fortunately their ladies have more idea.:confused:

The Ask Cunard section states there will only be two or three formal nights a week.

I too would like more formal nights. I think it should be Cunard's big selling point that there are more formal nights and how dressy the cruises can be. I think it would attract new customers rather than repel them. It is the lines big difference from all the other cruise lines. There are many people of all ages who love to get dressed up for the evenings as well as enjoying the cruises. If the formal nights become even less there will be little to differentiate cunard from everyone else.

There is nothing to stop you from going formal EVERY night. Do what pleases you, and don't concern yourself if you stand out in the crowd.

This comes from someone who has done this.

Well yes but it's not quite the same is it. The best part of formal nights is that everyone in the DR is in formal attire. Wouldn't be much fun for me being the only penguin in the room.

David.

I was shocked that we had 3 formal nights on our westbound transatlantic last month. :eek: I expected two but three out of 7 is just a bit much for me. After traveling through Europe for three weeks, we did not have enough formal wear.

I was shocked that we had 3 formal nights on our westbound transatlantic last month. :eek: I expected two but three out of 7 is just a bit much for me. After traveling through Europe for three weeks, we did not have enough formal wear.

Sorry to sound a bit blunt , but after all this is a 'Transatlantic Cunard' ..Cunard are well know for formality after six pm in the evenings . We are not talking here Costa or Carnival. ;) ( Ok ! Carnival owns Cunard ...but Cunard maintains it's own brand/product )

The rational for the three formal evening, are often to do with the various Cocktail/Captain's receptions held though out the voyage. As Cunaders, we like to make our evenings a sense of occasion .;)

Fortunately, 16 of my 32 nights of upcoming Cunard voyages are formal! I'm thrilled.

Wow! How did you manage that?

As to the title of the thread....

I think Cunard has cut back on formal nights. The 2013 QE World Voyage had about 50 formal nights whereas the 2014 only had about 35. If I remember correctly on the QE2s 2008 World Voyage, every sea night was formal!

Wow! How did you manage that?

As to the title of the thread....

I think Cunard has cut back on formal nights. The 2013 QE World Voyage had about 50 formal nights whereas the 2014 only had about 35. If I remember correctly on the QE2s 2008 World Voyage, every sea night was formal!

I got lucky I guess. It's over the Christmas/NY period too so there seems to be more formal nights then due to the special days.

This time I'm packing two tuxes (once I bought a second one - looking for something with a little colour - burgundy or a navy blue).

I'm going to need at least one suitcase for all my evening wear!

I got lucky I guess. It's over the Christmas/NY period too so there seems to be more formal nights then due to the special days.

This time I'm packing two tuxes (once I bought a second one - looking for something with a little colour - burgundy or a navy blue).

I'm going to need at least one suitcase for all my evening wear!

Good to see our Aussie friend setting the standards :cool: wish a few more from down under would ;)

Until a few years ago there were four formal nights on a crossing. That was when the crossings were six nights and the tradition was that one dressed formally every night except the first and last. I hope the dress code doesn't get dumbed down any further.

A few years ago I was on board QM2 when the National Symphony Orchestra was performing the Last Night of the Proms on an "elegant casual" night. Maestro Anthony Inglis had requested black tie and long dresses from his volunteer choir. At dinner I didn't notice any unusual looks or comments from others at the sight of formally-dressed passengers. As others have said before, the dress code is a minimum standard, not a maximum.

The trend could be that airlines are now charging for luggage and/or extra bags. It used to be you could take two bags (from the US to Europe), now you are restricted to one (unless flying above coach-class). And flying within the US, there are also bag restrictions.

Now that we no longer travel with steamer trunks, I think the trend is a practical change, rather than a trend of giving in.

Well yes but it's not quite the same is it. The best part of formal nights is that everyone in the DR is in formal attire. Wouldn't be much fun for me being the only penguin in the room.

David.

Well, David, maybe everyone should think like me! Being a penguin is fun!

Though, frankly, on a port-intensive cruise, I will not even be in the mood to go formal every night. I do agree that all sea days should be formal, however.

The trend could be that airlines are now charging for luggage and/or extra bags. It used to be you could take two bags (from the US to Europe), now you are restricted to one (unless flying above coach-class). And flying within the US, there are also bag restrictions.

Now that we no longer travel with steamer trunks, I think the trend is a practical change, rather than a trend of giving in.

Agreed, but one might also say: "If you can afford the ship, then you can afford the airline luggage charge".

I had the same reaction as you when I read the number of formal nights for a Transatlantic I booked for next year. Three formal nights is too many for a 7-day cruise/crossing.

I had the same reaction as you when I read the number of formal nights for a Transatlantic I booked for next year. Three formal nights is too many for a 7-day cruise/crossing.

I think 3/7 is a reasonable number. Personally, I'd like 4/7 but I know that's unlikely.

Transatlantic crossings should be formal affairs.