Fewer formal nights

violetta58

We had our first Cunard cruise in November on QV - these are my thoughts on the dress code.

1. I felt pretty anxious about the dress code having read many of the posts on CC - in the end I needn't have worried the clothes I took were more than adequate, there were others (ladies) dressed in what I would describe as casual clothing in the evening and no one batted an eyelid.

2. I felt that the majority of men on the cruise even wore some sort of collar during the day - my husband is a committed t-shirt (clean, pressed, plain!) fan and he thought some fellow diners at lunch in the Grills might have been a bit "sniffy", though he might have just been paranoid....?

3. We don't mind the formal nights (there were 4 on our sailing) and enjoyed dressing up, though, again, to put new cruisers minds at rest, there were plenty of ladies whose outfits were not as glam as one might have been led to expect - and everyone looked fine - I was relieved, it took the pressure off.

4. Our one major disappointment was that the strict jacket required dress code is enforced on the last night. Because we wanted to put our suitcases out for collection before dinner we chose to eat in the Lido on the last night. Obviously this was our choice and we could just have easily kept the cases till later and chucked in the jacket afterwards, but I did I overheard another gentleman saying he was going to wear his jacket "with my coat over the top" to disembark the following morning, so I believe it is an issue, not just for us. Perish the thought that I compare Cunard with P&O, but they completely relax the dress code on the final night and no one looked scruffy. It would be more convenient for many if the last night could even be just collar required for the gents but no jacket?

Just my musings. Carry on.

... Obviously this was our choice and we could just have easily kept the cases till later and chucked in the jacket afterwards ...
This is exactly what I do, cases out just before getting into bed (but before the deadline of course).

Glad you had a good time.

This is exactly what I do, cases out just before getting into bed (but before the deadline of course).

Glad you had a good time.

They do say that cases must be out before 11:00pm, but like a lot of others, we've put ours out well after midnight without any problems, as there is usually still quite a few awaiting collection even into the wee small hours.

Incidentally, a couple of years ago, her indoors put a couple of cases out before I had returned from my final sojourn.

On my return I noticed that two plastic ties that hold our "Presidents Club" (from Fairmont Savoy) cards, were lying on the floor and the cards were missing. The cards show an ID number in case the luggage goes missing and a number to call.

We had to get security involved as we had no idea why anyone would want to steal them. They contacted Fairmont immediately and the cards were cancelled. New ones were issued later.

Edited by BigMac1953

Good news indeed :)

(Mind you, shouldn't New Year's Eve always have been scheduled as a formal night? Of all nights in the year? :confused: ... Maybe someone shoreside has just looked at a calendar and noted that New Year's Eve falls on December 31st this year... :rolleyes: )

Can I wish you a great New Year cruise, have the most wonderful time :)

I think it's probably because we are due to be docked on New Year's Eve, we were always planning to wear formal anyway but it's nice that it's now official.

Such an easy decision. Just follow the folks as shown on all of Cunard's Grill brochures. Those folks seem to have no problem checking in with a blazer for the men and a dress for the ladies and I am certain all do not fly private jet. If Cunard wished to have folks in T shirts and jeans I am sure they would be showing that level of attire in their marketing material.

Such an easy decision. Just follow the folks as shown on all of Cunard's Grill brochures. Those folks seem to have no problem checking in with a blazer for the men and a dress for the ladies and I am certain all do not fly private jet. If Cunard wished to have folks in T shirts and jeans I am sure they would be showing that level of attire in their marketing material.

Don't know about that, the elegant passengers from the brochures never seem to be aboard when I am cruising.

David.

Ehg

I totally agree. No jackets for last night.! Many cruises say casual and as you said, no one was scruffy!

On that I must disagree. I've read here that many men don't consider a jacket to be a problem since they find it useful to wear one anyway - plenty of pockets for travel documents and other necessities.

Two, the jacket requirement is the only thing keeping dining dress standards up to a certain bar. Once the jacket isn't necessary, then the standard will be dress shirts. Then "nice" polos will suffice. Then.. Well, you get the idea. Down the porcelain facility until it looks like Carnival Corporation's namesake brand.

On that I must disagree. I've read here that many men don't consider a jacket to be a problem since they find it useful to wear one anyway - plenty of pockets for travel documents and other necessities.

Two, the jacket requirement is the only thing keeping dining dress standards up to a certain bar. Once the jacket isn't necessary, then the standard will be dress shirts. Then "nice" polos will suffice. Then.. Well, you get the idea. Down the porcelain facility until it looks like Carnival Corporation's namesake brand.

Very well said.

Indeed! I really don't understand the fuss about a jacket. It's just a jacket, for goodness sake. No tie is required on non-formal nights, although I am one of the large minority of men who will never go to dinner on a Cunard ship without both jacket and tie. I well remember that on all the crossings we made on the QE2 a jacket and tie were required in the restaurants for every night, including the first and last, even in Tourist Class.

As I never travel where it is hot I always wear a blazer on international trips or even on long air or train journeys across Canada. It is not simply for appearances. In addition to providing me with pockets, as referred to by BlueRiband, it keeps me warm on the cool nights and mornings. After departing the ship I often take the jacket off on onward transportation, be it a coach transfer, a train or aeroplane. It is one less thing to pack.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo

On that I must disagree. I've read here that many men don't consider a jacket to be a problem since they find it useful to wear one anyway - plenty of pockets for travel documents and other necessities. Two, the jacket requirement is the only thing keeping dining dress standards up to a certain bar. Once the jacket isn't necessary, then the standard will be dress shirts. Then "nice" polos will suffice. Then.. Well, you get the idea. Down the porcelain facility until it looks like Carnival Corporation's namesake brand.
Excellent post, thank you. Couldn't agree more.

As a middle aged male, I've started wearing jackets pretty much as a matter of course now since the shoes/jeans/jacket look has become very on trend over the last couple of years for men of my age.

Plus, I've had to start wearing glasses to read 12 months ago so the top pocket gives me somewhere to put them. In fact, I can't get any more jackets in my wardrobe now !

Edited by ToadOfToadHall