Celebrity Reflection Mediterrean June 2016

shainky84

My fiancee and I are first-time cruisers. After much consideration, we've mhave decided to take our honeymoon as a 10-night Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Celebrity Reflection next June. We like this itinerary because it is very focused on Greece, which is where we wanted to be, and 2 sea days will give us more time to relax aboard the ship than the 7-night cruises were initially looking at...

So far, we have been very impressed with Celebrity and the Reflection from all the research we've been doing. It seems like it has the offerings of a mega-ship while not feeling too overwhelming or crowded. But, as we continue to plan, and before we book, what do we need to know?

A mid-ship balcony is a MUST, but what category? Is it worth the upgrade to Concierge Class? What deck(s) are best for the stateroom?

We plan to upgrade to the most comprehensive dining package we can to give ourselves options, but late seating or early seating? (Is flexible seating an option, and should we even consider it?)

I'm enjoy drinking, but my fiancee will have 1 or 2 and that's it. For this trip, I don't imagine any heavy drinking on port days (maybe 1 with breakfast and 1-2 with/after dinner), but I plan to have fun on sea days. I'm addicted to regular, brewed coffee (2-3 cups in the morning, easy), we both drink Diet Coke, and and my fiancee is an avid fan of unsweetened iced tea. What's the best beverage package?

The ship departs from Rome on a Friday, but we plan to leave NY on Tuesday night to arrive in Rome on Wednesday. The extra few days will let us sightsee there, and also gives us a chance to adjust to the time difference and board the ship relaxed and refreshed. Should we book airfare through Celebrity? What about hotel? Can they help us get from the airport to the hotel, and then the hotel to the port?....And how do we get back to the airport after we disembark?

What shore excursion should we do? Should we do them on our own or through the ship? We want to sightsee in each of the ports, but we don't want to break the bank or become so exhausted that we are burnt out and can't enjoy the trip as a whole. We don't want to regret not doing something, but we don't want to do everything to the point that our experience is more about getting from place to place instead of enjoying the places we do so. We are looking, I guess, at a mix of rest/relaxation and sightessing.

We are a male gay couple from NYC area in our early 30s. What sort of experience might we expect on the ship? I've heard that the cruise industry is very inclusive of gay couples, but is there anything that Celebrity does or does not do that we should take note of? (Yes, I've posted in gay and lesbian forum as well.)

What questions am I not considering?

Thanks!

I would go with Aqua Class so you have Blu as your restaurant.

It's more special than the main dining room. Book each of the specialty restaurants. If it's in your budget, I'd go for a sky suite on the corner aft positions. Those are our favorites. Then you'd get some free specialty dining and your dining room is the new Luminae and that would make the cruise really really special.

If you can transfer your booking to one of the big online travel agencies, they might give you a beverage package plus some on board credit, maybe pay the gratuities.

It doesn't sound like you need a beverage package. If you get the classic package as a perk, fine, but you would likely come out ahead just buying what you want as you go. That's what we've done. It certainly doesn't sound like you need a premium alcohol package. You have to do the numbers, however. The best tactic would be to get on the ship and go a day or two without a package and see how it goes. If you feel you need one then purchase it at any bar. You'll only need to pay for the remaining days. But from what you said, it just doesn't sound like you'd get your money's worth from purchasing a package.

My fiancee and I are first-time cruisers. After much consideration, we've mhave decided to take our honeymoon as a 10-night Eastern Mediterranean cruise on the Celebrity Reflection next June. We like this itinerary because it is very focused on Greece, which is where we wanted to be, and 2 sea days will give us more time to relax aboard the ship than the 7-night cruises were initially looking at...

Thanks!

I suggest you to join roll call (it may be inactive now but it will be more active close to sailing): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2152912

You may ask there questions about private tours and any other questions as well.

Edited by cruza

lol, so many questions :) Can't possibly answer them all without writing a novel. My biggest suggestion is to just read more and more and more of the boards here on specific topics. But here are some thoughts:

* I was on the Reflection in April. Lovely ship. You'll enjoy it.

* What category... the difference between a regular balcony and concierge is small. Some priority in embarking, canapes in the afternoon (most scoff at these, I really enjoyed them!), a bottle of (cheap) bubbly in the room. Personally, I didn't find it worth the normal extra cost, but if you get a good deal with extra perks, worth consideration. If you do want to go up a category to Aqua Class, you'd be in the Blu restaurant instead of the main dining room. I haven't done that because I like the MDR. Many do, though. Probably want to read more about that.

* You mention *comprehensive dining package*. Not sure what you mean here. There are a few specialty restaurants that you might want to look at. I hear great things about them, although the only one I've tried myself is just Bistro on Five.

* Drink packages: From what I hear, the entire Celebrity sales process will change as of July 6th with the bundling of perks. Lots of threads on the current drink packages and the ups/downs of each. Many find that the classic package serves all of their desires. I personally like the premium package for the broader selection of wines in the MDR, plus the quirky cocktails on occasion.

* Pre-cruise in Rome: WAY too much to go in to here. Yes, check your roll call. In fact, lurk on the roll calls of other Med trips to get ideas. Also the Ports of Call boards can help with Rome specifics - hotels, car services, etc.. June is a lovely time to be in Rome!!

* Shore excursions: Not sure what your ports are. But generally speaking, in Europe, I usually find it a better experience to plan my own things. Less expense, less crowd-herding, more personalized, and safe. Again, look at your roll call as well as other research (internet, guide books, etc) for ideas.

Have fun planning! And congrats on the upcoming nuptials :)

So far, we have been very impressed with Celebrity and the Reflection from all the research we've been doing. It seems like it has the offerings of a mega-ship while not feeling too overwhelming or crowded. But, as we continue to plan, and before we book, what do we need to know?

A mid-ship balcony is a MUST, but what category? Is it worth the upgrade to Concierge Class? What deck(s) are best for the stateroom?

We plan to upgrade to the most comprehensive dining package we can to give ourselves options, but late seating or early seating? (Is flexible seating an option, and should we even consider it?)

I'm enjoy drinking, but my fiancee will have 1 or 2 and that's it. For this trip, I don't imagine any heavy drinking on port days (maybe 1 with breakfast and 1-2 with/after dinner), but I plan to have fun on sea days. I'm addicted to regular, brewed coffee (2-3 cups in the morning, easy), we both drink Diet Coke, and and my fiancee is an avid fan of unsweetened iced tea. What's the best beverage package?

The ship departs from Rome on a Friday, but we plan to leave NY on Tuesday night to arrive in Rome on Wednesday. The extra few days will let us sightsee there, and also gives us a chance to adjust to the time difference and board the ship relaxed and refreshed. Should we book airfare through Celebrity? What about hotel? Can they help us get from the airport to the hotel, and then the hotel to the port?....And how do we get back to the airport after we disembark?

What shore excursion should we do? Should we do them on our own or through the ship? We want to sightsee in each of the ports, but we don't want to break the bank or become so exhausted that we are burnt out and can't enjoy the trip as a whole. We don't want to regret not doing something, but we don't want to do everything to the point that our experience is more about getting from place to place instead of enjoying the places we do so. We are looking, I guess, at a mix of rest/relaxation and sightseeing.

We are a male gay couple from NYC area in our early 30s. What sort of experience might we expect on the ship? I've heard that the cruise industry is very inclusive of gay couples, but is there anything that Celebrity does or does not do that we should take note of? (Yes, I've posted in gay and lesbian forum as well.)

Thanks!

First of all congratulations! The Reflection is a beautiful ship , I am sure that you will love her!

As for category I would agree with the other poster who said if you could find it in your budget to go for the aft sky suite for all the reasons they stated. As for speciality restaurants, I would try to do the package as they are all wonderful in different ways. I would recommend late dining as we prefer not rushing back from the excursions and having some time to relax prior to dinner.

I would keep checking airfare through Celebrity and if you purchase on your own. We found Choice air to be less expensive so chose that, however hotel you can most likely get better rates on your own. See if there is a roll call for your sailing date as you may find others to join you on private tours which will be less expensive and much nicer going in small groups of 6-10 rather than huge buses of 40-50.

I think gay or straight your experience onboard will be the same, we have sailed with Celebrity about 4-5 times and always find a delightful mix of people.

I think I answered all your questions but feel free to ask whatever you would like the folks on this board have some wonderful advise!

The fare structure will increase on Monday, it appears. I would book now, because I understand you can cancel for free, and rebook if you find a better deal. I don't know why you think midship cabin is a must. If you are in good shape there's no reason why you can't also consider anything towards the aft (more walking). I love aft cabins for the view, as do others. Since you are first time cruisers, I would avoid the front of the ship. Look at suite guarantees - that means you don't pick your cabin, it gets assigned to you - it might not be that expensive and you will have more room, a bigger balcony and a special suite dining room, among other benefits. You asked many good questions; the more you read here the better. Congratulations on your marriage and have a great cruise.

We did that cruise this past May. Fantastic and the ship was terrific. There may be better perks if you book a CC or Aqua class cabin ( ie, classic package, etc) or above. We were given all three when we booked a CC cabin. In Rome, we stayed at the Albergo Cesari, ( recommended by these boards) which we highly recommend, charming hotel right in the center and walkable to all major sites. They can arrange pick-up from the airport. We also used Through Eternity Tours for tours of the Vatican and Ancient Rome. Both were five hour tours. I think you do need the five hours for the Vativan but probably three would be fine for Ancient Rome. Small group tours with excellent guides.

We small group private tours for excursions ( arranged through our Connectios group on these boards) except for the ship's excursion to Santorini, which we enjoyed. It's a great itinerary! Enjoy!

Firstly, congratulations!

As others suggest, would choose aqua class or sky suite if you can stretch to it, over conceirge, simply for food options (its all about food for me!!) location on ship is not really relevant, those seas are beautifully calm, and the aft offers a hypnotic view of the sea, would only suggest mid ship if you have walking issues (for me it helps keep off the intake of food!)

There are lots of photos, and a couple of very short videos on my blog, link below, if that helps. Have fun!

Claudia,

Thanks. Aqua Class is unfortunately out of our price range, so that's out; it looks nice, so it's something to aspire to. Do the Aqua Class allow dining by guests in other categories, subject to availability of course?

I'll see what my travel agent can do about beverage or gratuity packages. I like the idea of having some beverages included, but it sounds like I would do OK with a lower package instead of the most comprehensive one. Thanks.

Barry

Thanks again,

Barry

cruza,

Thanks. I looked at the Roll. It is quite empty for now, but I assume it will grow as we get closer to the date. I will join it once we book. Seems like it makes sense to wait a bit to start asking questions about excursions and tours anyway.

Thanks,

Barry

Barry

ChiGal,

Thanks so much. Your input and feedback is much appreciated, and so well organized.

We are very excited about the ship! Not sure if we can swing the upgrade to AquaClass, though my travel agent found a great deal that makes (or at least appears to make) the upgrade to Concierge worth it. I think we are going to book it today or tomorrow!

I want the most options with dining. I know they change the menu daily, but I feel like eating in the same 2 or 3 restaurants for the whole trip will get repetitive, so I want to make sure we have reservations in the special restaurants (Murano, Qsine, Tuscan Grille, Lawn Club Grill) as much as we can. Seems like it pays to add that package on before departure and get the discount.

If we book today or tomorrow, the change in pricing won't matter. The package my travel agent found includes classic beverage package, so I think that will work at least for now. If I want to upgrade later, that's always an option.

Thanks for suggestions regarding Rome and ports on the ship (Naples, Messina, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, Ephesus). I will certainly look at Roll Call and Ports of Call for ideas and suggestions. I might be a bit nervous exploring entirely on my own, but perhaps we can find another couple or two and explore as a group of 4 or 6.

Thanks,

Barry

Wendy & Neil,

A colleague at work (also named Wendy) has already given me some pointers since this is the first cruise for either of us. She definitely said late dining for the same reason you suggested. Initially, I thought 8:30 to be kind of late to first sit down, but if we don't get back from an excursion until 5:30, better to shower, change, relax, etc. and not rush.

It seems like everyone recommends Aqua Class or the Sky Suite, but I don't think it will work out for us - at least not on this trip. I'll very soon be joining the Roll Call for the sailing and will begin to look at the Ports of Call as well. I'm hesitant to explore ports as just the two of us, but perhaps a small group of 6 or 8 would be nice.

Thanks,

Barry

JFontaine,

Thanks for your support!!! It's good to know I'm asking the right questions for a first-timer.

My fiancee is a bit nervous about sea-sickness, and we've learned that mid-ship is best for combating that. No worries about walking along the deck to get our room, in fact that's a great way to get some exercise.

My travel agent got us a good deal on Concierge, so we are going to book today or tomorrow. Good to know we can cancel and rebook without penalty if a better offer comes out next week!

Thanks,

Barry

Louise,

Thanks so much. Yes, mid-ship desire is based on my fiancee's worry about sea-sickness. I agree with you about aft to walk off dinner, just don't know if we can stretch the funds to cover the upgrade to Aqua without giving up something else we want for this trip. I'll see, though, once we have all the numbers. I can't imagine I wouldn't be able to upgrade later as long as their is still room.

Thanks for sharing your blog. I took a quick look, and I'll look again when I have some more time. Good stuff!

Thanks,

Barry

Wendy & Neil,

A colleague at work (also named Wendy) has already given me some pointers since this is the first cruise for either of us. She definitely said late dining for the same reason you suggested. Initially, I thought 8:30 to be kind of late to first sit down, but if we don't get back from an excursion until 5:30, better to shower, change, relax, etc. and not rush.

It seems like everyone recommends Aqua Class or the Sky Suite, but I don't think it will work out for us - at least not on this trip. I'll very soon be joining the Roll Call for the sailing and will begin to look at the Ports of Call as well. I'm hesitant to explore ports as just the two of us, but perhaps a small group of 6 or 8 would be nice.

Thanks,

Barry

Hi Barry,

I also noticed your post about your partner worrying about sea sickness. I an address that from my experiences, first to let you know, I get motion sickness even on rides, let alone car, train, ships etc. I start taking ginger capsules a couple of days before we go, take less drowsy Dramamine one in the morning, one at dinner time everyday, plus I take the ginger capsules daily, I always bring ginger mints ( trader joes sold in an altoid like container) I always take regular Dramamine and RX mess with me, and ginger candy but to be honest we have cruises 20+ times, Caribbean,Alaska,Mediterranean and have been fine.

As for cabins, at first I always chose midship but have since sailed in all locations, truth of the matter is IF you were goi g to have rougher seas you can experience it anywhere as the dining venues are primarily in the aft, other things forward. I would also recommend, to frequently check prices on celebrity's website as prices and packages change often.

We are going on the Reflection this fall ( it will be our third time on this particular ship) we found two other couples on our roll call and are doing all our private tours with them. Many times it ends up being less expensive and definitely more enjoyable with 6-8 people.wendy

Sea sickness - I am the WORST sailor, (I have flown home from a ship before due to sickness) but have never had any problems with it on Celebrity, at all - if I sail a small ship, I take Phenergan, but have never needed on Celebrity so try to reassure hubby its not needed.

I can hand on heart say that you will have the most amazing experience on Celebrity Reflection, she is a beautiful beautiful ship!

Wendy & Neil,

A great point! We will be all over the ship anyway, so the sea sickness could happen no matter what. But I think that having a room that may be a bit more stable would be nicer to get some sleep. I've been to Israel in June, and I've noticed the Med. Sea to be pretty calm there by and large, so I'm hoping it'll be calm seas in Greece/Italy too. I'm not so worried about rain, but wind?

My travel agent (a friend's mother) just told me, "If my husband can do it, anyone can. You'll be fine." My fiance likes roller coasters (not super extreme, but definitely more than me). I'm afraid to do anything that has a large drop or flips; he'll do both!

Maybe I should be more concerned!

I just gave the travel agent our info for the deposit and travel insurance policy! She's booking us on Monday! I will start doing some port research and see about those private tours.

SO EXCITED!! Now I just have to wait 11.5 months....And finish planning the wedding....

• 2 weeks later...
Louise,

Thanks so much. Yes, mid-ship desire is based on my fiancee's worry about sea-sickness.

Thanks,

Barry

We are also on the same cruise as you next year. This will be our 7th cruise but the first on Celebrity. My husband can't do amusement rides and was nervous about sea-sickness on our first cruise. I got him some wrist bands from the pharmacy that work based on pressure points. He hasn't had a problem and very often doesn't wear them. The newer and bigger ships have better stabilizers so it seems to be less of a problem. We also plan on arriving in Rome on Wed and have our hotel booked but not our flights. Not sure if we will leave from NYC or Boston. Our roll call has been pretty quiet but hopefully will pick up soon. Looking into shore excursions. Looking forward to seeing you on the ship and congrats!

We are also on the same cruise as you next year. This will be our 7th cruise but the first on Celebrity. My husband can't do amusement rides and was nervous about sea-sickness on our first cruise. I got him some wrist bands from the pharmacy that work based on pressure points. He hasn't had a problem and very often doesn't wear them. The newer and bigger ships have better stabilizers so it seems to be less of a problem. We also plan on arriving in Rome on Wed and have our hotel booked but not our flights. Not sure if we will leave from NYC or Boston. Our roll call has been pretty quiet but hopefully will pick up soon. Looking into shore excursions. Looking forward to seeing you on the ship and congrats!

Ruth & Sam,

Thanks so much for your suggestion. As we hear from more and more people, I think that our concerns are becoming less prevalent. We'll still bring the meds, the bands, the patches, and all of that, but I'm starting to think it will be less and less necessary.

We are still weighing our options for the pre-cruise. I imagine we will fly out of NYC since that's where we leave, but I have family in Boston so that's an option as well if the fares are better. We are waiting to see what pre-cruise land package Celebrity offers before we book anything on the gound; we are trying to figure out if it makes sense to do Rome with a group or on our own. (Out of curiosity, can I ask what hotel you booked?) We've just started to look into shore excursions.

Looking forward to meeting you aboard the ship!

Barry

My wife and I did the 11 night med itinerary on Reflection in June 2014. I agree with all the previous posters. Keep an eye on your roll call it will get busier in the fall. In addition to the previous comments, here are my .02.

1. Don't worry about seasickness. I am prone to seasickness in smaller boats. Never had a problem on Reflection. After a day at sea you won't even notice it

2. Check the specific forums for your ports of call. There is great info there.

3. Look into RomeCabs for your transfers. We used them four times during our pre and post cruise stays in Rome.

4. Recommend Hotel Madrid in Rome. It's not fancy but it's near the Spanish Steps which is a great location.

5. Here is a link to my review of our cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2066933

Congrats!

Cheers

Tom

Edited by Tommy3putts