French Polynesia - Society Islands

Bora Bora. Some kind of stingray and shark water activity. Names and companies will vary.

Moorea. Some excursion that takes you up to the Belvedere (scenic lookout) for the spectacular scenery. Dr. Poole's dolphin trip (whales too, in season.)

What islands are you visiting?

Thanks Wendy the Wanderer!

We're doing the 10-day out of Papeete which stops at Huahine, Rangiora, Raiatea, Bora Bora, and Moorea.

We'll be on Tahiti (of course) 2 days pre-cruise and we're staying 3 extra days post-cruise in an OWB at the Hilton Moorea.

You're welcome. We've done the pearl farm on Rangiroa, and last time an all-day boat trip across the lagoon to a motu where we swam, snorkelled and had a picnic lunch. On the way back we stopped at a place called the aquarium which is a small lagoon within the lagoon, where there are thousands of fish. We stopped and snorkelled there. Next time I go back, I want to go there again--it was very close to the dock, so I'm thinking that there must be boat operators who can take people out there.

On Huahine we did a tour around the island led by an anthropologist, and saw the sacred sights. I have heard there's good snorkelling there.

On Raiatea we've done a number of different things, but my favourite was snorkelling, down at the bottom of the island. The land and water trip, partly by 4x4 and partly by boat up the river is great too. It's all good.

We really enjoyed Patrick's on Bora Bora and would do it every time we visited. Sharks outside the reef, rays and sharks inside the reef, coral gardens, then a motu picnic. The day was spectacular!

View from the motu picnic

17521219395_70bd81e6d5_h.jpg

Sharks outside the reef

14195284014_0c678270e5_b.jpg

On Huahine we did Mark's half day, but had scheduled the full tour. It was a bit disappointing to learn we wouldn't be seeing the eels until we go there. The snorkeling was not that great and the island picnic was nice, but not great. The highlight was the shark feeding. I would probably have done something different if I had known. The tour was OK, but doubt I would do it again.

On Moorea, my wife did the Three Coconuts hike while I went diving. She enjoyed the hike, but it was a lot of work and very muddy. It's not a relaxing time, but great if you're looking to work off some of those extra desserts. The second day we went out with Dr. Poole. He makes for a very interesting time. He is extremely passionate about his work and very enjoyable.

On Tahiti we rented a car and drove around a bit.

We didn't go to the other islands you're visiting.

I was recalling the so-called sacred eels on Huahine--part of our tour. Are those that you meant? In my opinion, they were not worth going out of your way to see--interesting, but minor.

Meant to say that the pearl farm tour on Rangiroa, although interesting, was not great--I would have preferred to get in the water. And we had a much better pearl farm tour years ago on Manihi, another of the Tuamotu atolls. It is interesting to see and hear about how the pearls are cultivated.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Least favourite was actually the biggest on the bill....Tahiti...

17255694785_dc897158ee_z.jpg

Again, I have written a full review if you are interested...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/05/15/tahiti-one-way-to-see-the-island/

Having said that, the actual excursion organisation was excellent. Nice company.

Bora Bora. Some kind of stingray and shark water activity. Names and companies will vary.

Moorea. Some excursion that takes you up to the Belvedere (scenic lookout) for the spectacular scenery. Dr. Poole's dolphin trip (whales too, in season.)

What islands are you visiting?

Must agree with you on Moorea, whatever one does one must head up to Belvedere Lookout...

16622413162_c05dbb8dcb_z.jpg

for a view of the ship at least...

16623066085_7ebf05466e_z.jpg

We actually hired a car and I have again written a full review of our circumnavigation of Moorea on my blog...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/13/moorea-one-way-to-do/

Edited by Solent Richard

• 2 weeks later...