Sugar Free Syrup

pthjudy

Does anyone know if Disney has sugar free syrup in the MDR and buffet? My 11 year old granddaughter has Type 1 diabetes and that is one food substitution that is easily acceptable. Also would the servers be able to provide some approximate carb counts?

Does anyone know if Disney has sugar free syrup in the MDR and buffet? My 11 year old granddaughter has Type 1 diabetes and that is one food substitution that is easily acceptable. Also would the servers be able to provide some approximate carb counts?

Don't know about the sugar-free syrup. Maybe. You could call DCL and ask.

I doubt that the servers can give you carb counts. DCL (as most major cruiselines) doesn't supply dietary info like that. Your best route for that would be to familiarize yourself with normal ranges for the most likely foods that she would be interested in. And wing it. That's what I've had to do with my low sodium diet.

Don't know about the sugar-free syrup. Maybe. You could call DCL and ask.

I doubt that the servers can give you carb counts. DCL (as most major cruiselines) doesn't supply dietary info like that. Your best route for that would be to familiarize yourself with normal ranges for the most likely foods that she would be interested in. And wing it. That's what I've had to do with my low sodium diet.

Did you just really liken your low sodium diet to type 1 diabetes specific requirements???

pthjudy,

Contact DCL and ask for their special needs department. They should be able to help with the syrup. As for carb count. As above I wouldn't expect them to know. They may be able to approximate if you speak to the Head Server aboard, but as always with non prepackaged foods, there are variations in preparation and quantities and therefore it would only be a guideline.

ex techie

Sugar free syrup is definitely available at the buffet and in the main dining rooms upon request. It is not sitting out for the "general public" to use, but a mention to a server will make it appear.

Notify DCL of her needs in the same way you would an allergy (just call them). The head server will meet with the parent/guardian as well as the girl on day 1 to supply all the information needed/available. As techie noted, a carb count is totally dependent on serving size, etc. Yes, they can provide approximate information whether the individual uses the exchange system or counts carbs, but it is only approximate.

The difficulty comes in when she decides she doesn't like something, so leaves part of the "serving" on the plate, etc. There is a certain amount of using your best judgement in such situations. They are also able to supply sugar free or no added sugar items (I'm sure you understand the difference) and are very happy to do so. There is at least one "no added sugar" dessert on the regular menu at each meal. They will do everything possible to come up with things that she likes while still keeping within her allowed meal plan.

Sugar free syrup is definitely available at the buffet and in the main dining rooms upon request. It is not sitting out for the "general public" to use' date=' but a mention to a server will make it appear.

Notify DCL of her needs in the same way you would an allergy (just call them). The head server will meet with the parent/guardian as well as the girl on day 1 to supply all the information needed/available. As techie noted, a carb count is totally dependent on serving size, etc. Yes, they can provide approximate information whether the individual uses the exchange system or counts carbs, but it is only approximate.

The difficulty comes in when she decides she doesn't like something, so leaves part of the "serving" on the plate, etc. There is a certain amount of using your best judgement in such situations. They are also able to supply sugar free or no added sugar items (I'm sure you understand the difference) and are very happy to do so. There is at least one "no added sugar" dessert on the regular menu at each meal. They will do everything possible to come up with things that she likes while still keeping within her allowed meal plan.[/quote']

Thank you so much for your information and suggestions. My daughter has a notebook where she keeps data from most meals. She also checks online but won't have that capability onboard. They are often able to "judge" how much insulin to pump. (Just got the pump so no more 4 daily shots!) I forwarded your post to her. Thank you again.

Because someone asked....

Sugar free means an item contains NO sugars. It is most common in packaged items, although made from scratch can be sugar free as well. It does not mean "no carbohydrates" because items containing flour have carbs from the flour.

No added sugar is the label commonly applied to fruit dishes, etc. Fruits contain fructose (fruit sugar). It is impossible to make a dish containing fruit and have it be sugar free. It is "no added sugar" if either no sweetener other than the fruit was used or an artificial sweetener was used in place of a sugar or sugar containing substance.

Judy, if your daughter is bringing a computer or smart phone on the trip, she can sign up for a free 50mb internet package on the first day. This is available on most, but not all cruises and you must sign up by midnight of embarkation day. That might give her enough usage to do her research for the entire trip. If not, she can decide whether or not it is worth purchasing a package. Just be sure that she has turned off ALL apps that may be running in the background. These eat data!

Edited by moki'smommy

Because someone asked....

Sugar free means an item contains NO sugars. It is most common in packaged items' date=' although made from scratch can be sugar free as well. It does not mean "no carbohydrates" because items containing flour have carbs from the flour.

No added sugar is the label commonly applied to fruit dishes, etc. Fruits contain fructose (fruit sugar). It is impossible to make a dish containing fruit and have it be sugar free. It is "no added sugar" if either no sweetener other than the fruit was used or an artificial sweetener was used in place of a sugar or sugar containing substance.

Judy, if your daughter is bringing a computer or smart phone on the trip, she can sign up for a free 50mb internet package on the first day. This is available on most, but not all cruises and you must sign up by midnight of embarkation day. That might give her enough usage to do her research for the entire trip. If not, she can decide whether or not it is worth purchasing a package. Just be sure that she has turned off ALL apps that may be running in the background. These eat data![/quote']

I had actually told her about the free mb. (I intend to sign up if available.) she does NOT want to bring any devices to the dining room. Why? You may ask. If the iPads or phones are available the kids will want to play on them and she wants device free meals! She has a book and notebook with good information. Thanks for your suggestions.

I had actually told her about the free mb. (I intend to sign up if available.) she does NOT want to bring any devices to the dining room. Why? You may ask. If the iPads or phones are available the kids will want to play on them and she wants device free meals! She has a book and notebook with good information. Thanks for your suggestions.

She does not have to bring her device to the MDR's at all. Once you have spoken to the Head Server, they will be able to provide you with the menu for the following night to view and pre order or not.

That should enable your daughter to check out the options and research or count carb counts online or in her book (if she wishes) later on.

She certainly sounds like a very polite and responsible young lady.

ex techie

They will also be happy to modify menu items as far as possible to suit her needs. For example, if there is a chocolate cake on the dessert menu that she would love to have, it might be possible to make it with a sugar substitute for her. They will seriously go beyond all expectations to meet her needs provided you explain them to the chef or head server.

As techie said, they are happy to provide a copy of the menu for the next night so you can review it and they can work with you on any special orders or provide info on the standard items.

They will also be happy to modify menu items as far as possible to suit her needs. For example' date=' if there is a chocolate cake on the dessert menu that she would love to have, it might be possible to make it with a sugar substitute for her. They will seriously go beyond all expectations to meet her needs provided you explain them to the chef or head server.

As techie said, they are happy to provide a copy of the menu for the next night so you can review it and they can work with you on any special orders or provide info on the standard items.[/quote']

The strange think about type 1 diabetes is that the doctors have told them ( and they use a Joselin Center which is like the Mayo Clinic of diabetes centers) that she can eat whatever she wants as long as they calculate the carbs and adjust the insulin accordingly. Nevertheless, my daughter cuts carbs whenever she can including buying low carb ketchup! That's why I asked about the syrup. So she can eat the Mickey bars (we all do) but take it easy on the rolls. Again I will pass on these excellent suggestions.

Thank you so much for your information and suggestions. My daughter has a notebook where she keeps data from most meals. She also checks online but won't have that capability onboard. They are often able to "judge" how much insulin to pump. (Just got the pump so no more 4 daily shots!) I forwarded your post to her. Thank you again.

Actually you can purchase internet service on board. You can't purchase it before you leave but can purchase it once sailing. We did it last cruise and will do it again on our next in October. I wish it was included in the price but I guess we all have to wait for that.