Things to do in Nassau?

alfiegeorgina

I highly recommend the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim. The facility is incredibly beautiful and you really do have a very intimate encounter. It's a short boat ride from the pier to the island cove facility. You will motor past Atlantis on your 20 minute journey. You will never forget the feeling of two dolphins pushing you by your feet across the lagoon. This was one of the top experiences I've had in the ocean and I've scuba dived all over the world for over 40 years.

Book this excursion as soon as your booking window opens up and you won't have any problem getting it. Also, we bought the CD picture/video package. Money well spent to capture the experience of a lifetime.

Nassau - one of the worst ports IMHO :)

I agree. Nassau is not a great port. After you have seen it once you will know what I mean. As far as the trips to Atlantis, let me warn you that a great deal of your day will be traveling back and forth and waiting lines. Atlantis is very busy but it is fun. If you really want to do Atlantis I would recommend you just go there and stay for a few days.

I highly recommend the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim. The facility is incredibly beautiful and you really do have a very intimate encounter. It's a short boat ride from the pier to the island cove facility. You will motor past Atlantis on your 20 minute journey. You will never forget the feeling of two dolphins pushing you by your feet across the lagoon. This was one of the top experiences I've had in the ocean and I've scuba dived all over the world for over 40 years.

Book this excursion as soon as your booking window opens up and you won't have any problem getting it. Also, we bought the CD picture/video package. Money well spent to capture the experience of a lifetime.

I am thinking of Blue Lagoon but without the dolphin encounter (a bit too pricey for 4). Is blue lagoon still worthwhile and only if in Nassau for half s day? It does look great from pictures and think my kids would enjoy.

We found Discovery Cove in Orlando to be a better dolphin experience than anything we did at any port. That said, I was shocked the last time I went to their web site --the price has increased astronomically since we did it. It is definitely a dolphin swim, not a shallow water "experience."

Blue Lagoon without dolphin--you'll probably enjoy it. You will spend a fair amount of time getting there and back. The question you need to answer is whether a local beach (some are at no charge) would be just as much fun.

ProTip: stay in the ship. Nassau is often referred as "the Detroit of the Caribbean".

Totally agree. And it is sad--in 1998, DCL had worked with the Bahamian government to make the situation there better for cruise passengers. Now it is back to total scum again.

Sorry, but I have no polite words for people touching my child, wanting to braid her hair. They have a right to try to recruit business, but keep their possibly dirty hands off my kid. She has been grabbed, touched, run fingers thru her hair, etc. This has not happened to us in any other port. Yes, we've seen hair braiders elsewhere, but they have not been aggressive toward children or young teens.

In addition, it is not a particularly clean or nice port.

Anyone have an opinion on doing the carriage rides near the pier?

Wondering how safe it was, where it took you and how much? We have a very short port time here 7am to noon so we were thinking of taking our girls on a carriage ride then going to junkanoo beach for a couple hrs before heading back to the ship

Edited by randykaye

Anyone have an opinion on doing the carriage rides near the pier?

Wondering how safe it was, where it took you and how much? We have a very short port time here 7am to noon so we were thinking of taking our girls on a carriage ride then going to junkanoo beach for a couple hrs before heading back to the ship

As has been stated above, it is highly advised you either stay on the ship or go with an excursion outside Nassau. All 5 times we've been there we've gone off the boat 3 times and came right back to the ship after being hustled and offered drugs, pretty much in the open, right outside the port. Nassau it's not a good port for DIY adventuring.

And don't trust ANY quoted price, even if written on a sign. The sign may say $2 per braid, but when they put one braid in your kid's hair, suddenly it is $10 "because we use beads." They didn't ASK about beads, and the way they do it, it can't be done without beads. And the beads cost 1 cent each in any US craft store. And this was years ago when DCL had insisted that the government make things better!

Same with any other huckster on the street. Best to stay away from all of them. There are some free public beaches relatively near the port (15-20 minute walk, short cab ride). But why? You have Castaway Cay coming up--safe, clean, wonderful. Enjoy the ship on Nassau day.

When I told my husband that the itinerary for my mom and I on the Dream included Nassau the 1st words out of his mouth were "Lady, I braid your hair".

I appreciate entrepreneurialism - I just don't want to be hassled after saying no. I am going to enjoy the ship that day - and look at all the Christmas decorations and such with no crowds.

So has anyone done the Seaworld Explorer Semi-sub tour? We have such a short port time I don't see us spending that kind of money for a such a short time to do Atlantis or Blue Lagoon although they both look fabulous! We've got 6 and 9 year old

Edited by randykaye

I've enjoyed Nassau every time I've been there. My first time there with my mom and daughter, we just randomly walked around and checked out the busy shops. When my husband and I went alone, we did our own walking tour, going to the Queen's Staircase, the pirate museum, and Fort Fincastle, ending with conch fritters at the Conch Bar & Grill.

I've done the Ardastra Gardens/Flamingo Show tour which was nice. The dolphin encounter at Blue Lagoon was fun. A couple of years ago, two of my sons and myself did the Graycliff Chocolate making excursion, yum. Last week, we did the Forts/Junkanoo tour which was also interesting. The last one was kind of long on bus drive and loaded with Bahamas political/government information and a trip through a neighborhood that might make some people uncomfortable, but it ended with learning about Junkanoo and making noise with drums and whistles, etc which was interesting and fun.

Yes, my son and husband were offered drugs last week, but a simple no thanks was all it took. I've never had anyone touch me or my kids there. Lots of the usual hollering for business, but it's been easy for me to ignore.

If I had young children, I'd probably stick with a ship sponsored excursion, though. I wouldn't stay on the ship but I understand why some people do.