Crew Gift

MJEasley

Hi everyone, I leave on Tuesday for Panama Canal on Coral Princess and my daughter brought 4 NYC tee shirts as a little extra gift for the crew. My question is 2 of the tees have the embroidered skyline of NYC and depicts the Twin Towers. Do you think these two would be appropriate to hand out. Yes we will still be tipping. She just thought it would be nice to give them a little gift extra. Any suggestions. Thanks

That's a tough one about the Twin Towers. I don't think I would give those to the crew, but that's just me. You have to be careful that your crew members aren't Arab or Muslim because a depiction of the Twin Towers could be taken in a bad way by the crew person.

I know your daughter is trying to be nice and very thoughtful by giving shirts, but you have to realize that these workers have very little space to keep these little gifts (they share rooms and the cabins they have are tiny, tiny), and they have even less space to pack these gifts when they leave the ship to go home. If every one of their customers gave them gifts of t-shirts or hats, they could have hundreds of them by the time their contract is finished.

I definitely agree with Cruisead. The ship's waiters and cabin attendants definitely do not have storage space for gifts. As far as T-shirts they hardly have any time to wear them. They are either at work in uniform or in bed sleeping. For the money you are spending on T-shirts they would much rather have in cash.

Im sorry-but I also agree with the above posters. For one- you dont know the nationalilty of your crew member. And second- they dont have the cabin space for anything extra... imagine an inside cabin with 4 people living.. with all their belongings... it could be quite cramped.

Cash and phone cards are always the best, particularly phone cards to call to their families in their native country.

Tshirts with twin towers? VERY inapporpriate. Many of the crew are from Muslim nations, already Americans are viewed with suspicion, and generally impractical. That's a gift I can guarantee that most crew will say "you've got to be kidding". Not trying to be hurtful here, just offering constructive criticism. From my own experience, most crew appreciate things they can use and take up little space in the cabin.

I have to agree with the others about giving tee shirts with the twin towers on them. I wouldn't.

Cash and phone cards are always the best, particularly phone cards to call to their families in their native country.

Tshirts with twin towers? VERY inapporpriate. Many of the crew are from Muslim nations, already Americans are viewed with suspicion, and generally impractical. That's a gift I can guarantee that most crew will say "you've got to be kidding". Not trying to be hurtful here, just offering constructive criticism. From my own experience, most crew appreciate things they can use and take up little space in the cabin.

I have to say about the "many of the crew are from Muslim nations, already Americans are viewed with suspicion" quote, the reverse is also true.

Just DON'T go there with the tee shirts.

My sweetheart is a crew member of many years, and I'm quoting him.

I have to say about the "many of the crew are from Muslim nations, already Americans are viewed with suspicion" quote, the reverse is also true.

Just DON'T go there with the tee shirts.

Cash and phone cards are always the best, particularly phone cards to call to their families in their native country.QUOTE]

cash yes ---a phone card that you buy in the usa will not work making a call from ocho rios to the phillipines-----------as i underestand it there are telephone cards that the crew can buy on the ship to make these calls --however they are not available for pax purchase ---therefore its back to cash and the crew member can buy a card that will work

Archived