New to Oceania so many questions?

pris993

Really enjoy the formal nights on P&O but are happy to go with whatever dress code applies to a cruise line. Can't do with people who book a cruise and then complain that the cruise line doesn't allow what you want !!!

Just thinking that if we were to do Oceania hubby would wear what he always wears for smart / casual nights (smart trousers and a shirt with collar and sleeves) while I wear smart dresses / dress trousers / nice tops. He also has a nice casual jacket he could wear.

Am just wondering if I could be ok with a long black dress like I wear on a formal night on P&O. NOT a ball gown or dressy formal gown, just a simple black evening dress or similar.

I know that people say you wear what you want on O but I would feel uncomfortable as the only one !!!

Hope this makes sense - thank you:)

Your long dress will be fine & you will not be out of place. I've worn short, long & maxi dresses on my O cruises. Comfortable & easy to pack. I think the faux pas would be wearing them dripping in jewels & matching tiara:eek:

Hubby brings a jacket, more often worn for pre & post cruise occasions.

I am certain you'll enjoy the the casual-chic ambiance of O.

My point exactly. There are a number of factors that can play into what people can bring, whether they have to check it, if they have to pay fees, etc.

In fact on that Galapagos trip, I took a lot of heat for NOT bringing my own gear, on a Scuba message forum. But what they didn't all realize was that the Galapagos was the last stop on a lengthy trip that included a several-day visit to Machu Picchu, and we had very strict limits on how much we were allowed to bring on that leg. I had to make a choice - scuba gear or clothes! And I didn't really want to go to dinner in my wetsuit every night. :o

:D Having been to Machu Picchu just last April I know exactly what you mean!

Mura

You may not be able to fathom it, but I can tell you that, fathom or not, it's a reality. And it has nothing to do with my intelligence...and I must say I find your directive to me to "get smart" to be rather offensive.

Lee I agree with you

Some posters her feel they are superior to others

we flew with carry -ons & guess what I checked them

we did not have to pay but I hate dragging my bags around & trying to stuff them in the overheads with the hundreds of other passenger

It is my personal choice

It is your money & if you choose to pay for extra bags it is YOUR choice not some blowhard on CC

I think the faux pas would be wearing them dripping in jewels & matching tiara:eek:

Wait...wut? I can't wear my diamond tiara? HORRORS! ;)

:D Having been to Machu Picchu just last April I know exactly what you mean!

Amazing place, huh? Truly magical. I feel so fortunate to have been able to see it. But it was definitely challenging to pack for the rest of that trip, which involved visits to Lima, Ecuador, and Galapagos, given the limits on what we were allowed to bring to Machu Picchu. But we managed!

Lee I agree with you

Some posters her feel they are superior to others

we flew with carry -ons & guess what I checked them

we did not have to pay but I hate dragging my bags around & trying to stuff them in the overheads with the hundreds of other passenger

It is my personal choice

It is your money & if you choose to pay for extra bags it is YOUR choice not some blowhard on CC

Thanks for understanding why I "blew my top"! I try not to do that in here, but that comment just hit me wrong. :p

Amazing place, huh? Truly magical. I feel so fortunate to have been able to see it. But it was definitely challenging to pack for the rest of that trip, which involved visits to Lima, Ecuador, and Galapagos, given the limits on what we were allowed to bring to Machu Picchu. But we managed!

We did the Galapagos in 1989. It was a wonderful trip on a small ship -- heck, it was a boat! Carried 12 passengers of which we were only 9. We had wanted to do Machu Picchu before the "cruise" but the Shining Path was still active and so we decided to postpone it. Never thought it would be 25 years or so before we had another chance!

Instead we did an overnight train trip up the Andes from Quito and met an Englishwoman who had opted out of the Machu Picchu trip that her friends took when she heard you needed to put chicken wire over your backpacks when in town because of theft ... The other English-speaker on that train trip was a good friend of a college professor of mine from 25 years earlier than that!

It was another world last spring when we went there, and yes, it's spectacular. Everyone should go to MP if they can! But there's a definite luggage problem!

On this trip we didn't have the problem you did with luggage, but yes, the train doesn't allow you to take "real" luggage with you. We were on a week's pre-cruise tour which held our real suitcases so we just took a small overnight bag with us. I don't bring formal gowns or lots of shoes with me :D but we still had clothing for a 3 week cruise.

Mura

We did the Galapagos in 1989. It was a wonderful trip on a small ship -- heck, it was a boat! Carried 12 passengers of which we were only 9. We had wanted to do Machu Picchu before the "cruise" but the Shining Path was still active and so we decided to postpone it. Never thought it would be 25 years or so before we had another chance!

We too did part of our Galapagos trip on a very small passenger boat! We spent 3 nights in a hotel, and I think 4 nights on the boat. I believe ours held 16 passengers total. Definitely not in the "luxe" category - tiny cabins - but it was FABULOUS. You can't compare it to a cruise of any kind - it was more like being on a private yacht. And of course we had a naturalist with us who took us on day trips on various islands.

So glad you did eventually get back to see MP.

And by the way...since we've kinda veered off-topic a bit...just wanted to point out that this whole discussion shows to those who are considering Oceania the kind of people I expect you will meet on an O cruise. Personable, well traveled, with lots of great stories and adventures to share. :D