Tahiti cruise on Windstar have many questions

golfch1x

couple of questions, new to cruise critic as a poster... followed the board in 2004 when we cruised Princess in tahiti... lots a great tips so thought now that we want to go back I'd post a few questions.

1) anyone use a travel to book their windstar cruise?

2) rooms? thinking of booking on deck 2 aft... but that is near the sports platform... thinking lots of traffic and lots of heat... thoughts? ( not that we'll be in our room, but sometimes i like to take a late afternoon nap;))

3) we had a balcony on Princess... just portholes on Windstar.... really like the balcony and butler service on Princess... should I look at PG or Oceania? The all inlcusive price, cruise airfare, room pre & post on Windstar seems like a great deal.

Any and all comments from those who have been to tahiti on any of these cruises is appreciated.

I have been to Tahiti in the PG, the Med on Windstar. The Surf was by far our favorite cruise, and tied for favorite vacation ever. We did not love the PG, and would not recommend or sail her again.

You will be surprised at how tolerable the heat in French Polynesia is. The breezes keep it from feeling stifling. I wouldn't worry about that. I also don't think the sports platform will be an issue. I would be more worried about not being too close to the tender doors, those are all tender ports except Tahiti.

You will never miss the balcony. We had one in the PG and never used it, we wished we had saved the money.

Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.

thanks ducklite! good info. not worried about the temp on the islands.. just worried that open bay doors tender areas and sports deck will be sucking in hot air into our room. again probably by night it will cool down anyway in the room. have to say, had dinner & breakfast on our balcony and it felt very special! i'm sure we'll be able to find some private space on Wind Spirit with only 150 passengers!

We were on the Wind Spirit in Tahiti this May. You will love Windstar and Tahiti. We did use a popular on- line travel site to book the trip only because it was considerably cheaper than what Windstar was offering at the time. With their new President, hopefully this will no longer be the case.

We were in room 114 and felt vibration. The seas were unseasonably rough and the lapping of the water did bother us. I would choose a room on deck 2 and midship if you have that option.

The islands and the people are beautiful, the service on Windstar is outstanding and the food is delicious.

Have a great time.

couple of questions, new to cruise critic as a poster... followed the board in 2004 when we cruised Princess in tahiti... lots a great tips so thought now that we want to go back I'd post a few questions.

1) anyone use a travel to book their windstar cruise?

2) rooms? thinking of booking on deck 2 aft... but that is near the sports platform... thinking lots of traffic and lots of heat... thoughts? ( not that we'll be in our room, but sometimes i like to take a late afternoon nap;))

3) we had a balcony on Princess... just portholes on Windstar.... really like the balcony and butler service on Princess... should I look at PG or Oceania? The all inlcusive price, cruise airfare, room pre & post on Windstar seems like a great deal.

Any and all comments from those who have been to tahiti on any of these cruises is appreciated.

We have traveled to and through French Polynesia six times now. Five times on the PG and once on the Oceania Marina. We also have recently returned from a Costa Rican cruise on one of the refurbished Seaborne boats, the Star Breeze.

The main pros of the PG experience:

All inclusive everything. No envelopes. No tipping. Food/drink at any time you wish.

The crew are all long-time, loyal, warm and genuine in their desire to serve. Most are Filipino and an important part of their culture is built around respecting guests.

The food and wine are exceptional. They do not skimp because they are all-inclusive and because of their long-time presence, they source local fruits, vegetables, fish and meat.

Balconies are large for a small ship and enjoyable in the humidity and heat of FP.

They immerse you in local culture at each port, usually bringing on local artists and entertainers on board.

Not many cons to mention, but:

Entertainment can be erratic and the small stage = small shows, but the real show is outside!

The seven day Society Island cruise is the best immersion for a first-timer, but spring for a ten-day to get a real picture of the diverse FP.

A TIP:

If you have frequent flyer miles burning a hole, consider NOT taking Air Tahiti. It is truly a bucket. If flying from LA, there are other options. As for pre-post lodging, there are many options on Moorea, and the ferry ride takes about 45 minutes. Tahiti is dirty and busy by comparison.

Oceania pros:

FOOD!!! Never have I experienced truly 3-star Michelin quality cuisine, but on board this ship, it's four specialty restaurants are included in the fare, and that fare is worth the price simply for the gastronomic excesses. By the end of the cruise, we were saying, "Not lobster again!"

Style. The ship is in pristine condition. The marble baths have a separate tub and shower and ample size.

Crew. Mixed results. The rather startling contrast between the level of service of Oceania and PG left me at times longing to be back on the Gauguin. The crew were either European, often with apparent disdain for passengers or Indian and Filipino, with the same level of appreciation for the passengers as on the PG.

Cons.

For me it was learning that the ~1,000 passenger load resulted in more of a big ship rather than intimate 300-600 passenger experience we've become to appreciate. Less passenger interaction and a feeling of being squeezed at times.

Crew. described above.

Sales pitches. Everywhere. From booking the next cruise to booze packages, there was an abundance of mercantilism. No bother to me as I just ignored them, but be aware.

Windstar pros and cons.

I have not sailed on one of the sailing vessels, but had a very unfortunate experience with Windstar in Costa Rica. My complaints about communication, service, condition of the ship and disorganization are in an earlier trip report. Admittedly, this was after a grounding of the sister ship Star Pride and amidst a changing of the guard at the corporate level, but I cannot recommend Windstar based on my experience.

Having said that, there are many Windstar loyalists who are repeat guests, so perhaps the sailing vessels offer a difference.

We took the Wind Spirit Tahiti cruise which we thought was absolutely glorious. The sails added to the wonderment. Sailing in that lagoon was something for the eyes to behold. Only 149 passengers truly it was like a private yacht. The impeccable service, fabulous food, the scenery, nice people, the motu day, we took swimming with rays and sharks fabulous, Dr. Pool's enlightening dolphin experience, his passion, we took the moai tour which was so educationalm especially since we also saw very different ones on Easter Island and the island Tahitian barbeque with the fire dancing magnificient. We loved every minute. Bora Bora my least favorite day for I do not shop and I dislike hyper tourism. I spent most of the day on deck just taking in the scenery. Tahiti screams out sailboats. I am so glad we went, we loved every second. Highly recommend the Wind Spirit. We took Air Tahiti Nui and it was fine but I need to preface it, we flew business class with miles, very comfortable 8.5 hours. Long trip from the East Coast. I must fully admit we crossed the Pacific with the Spirit then took the cruise, rather 19 days sailing than 14 hours flying any day. Have a great time a beautiful part of the world.

WOW 5 times.... we are starting to question going back as the first time was almost perfect and fear we would be comparing the two experiences constantly. I have to say you rave review of PG is making me want to do more research. Thanks for your reviews

We found the food and wine in The Paul Gauguin to be lackluster. We feel our meals on Disney were better. The wine was plonk unless you wanted to buy something reasonably good.

We had numerous issues with some crew. Our cabin steward was the worst we have ever had and there were some very disturbing things she did in our cabin. We also had a very, very unpleasant experience with an officer--to the point that their corporate management was involved in a resolution. The young man who served us breakfast every morning was a gem, and we made sure he knew we appreciated him with a "loaded handshake" the last morning.

As mentioned, the entertainment was poor.

We also got a lot of "no's." On Windstar we were able to order a late lunch from room service and have it delivered poolside. Don't even think about it on the PG--completely not doable according to them. Oh--and chair hogs, something we flat out did not experience on Windstar. Try getting a cup of tea before 7:00 am on the PG. Not going to happen. If you order it from room service when they open at 6:30, it shows up lukewarm around 7:00. On Windstar it shows up piping hot within five minutes starting at 6:00 am. Maybe little things, but they begin to add up.

We flew Air France and they were terrible. If we ever go back we will probably take the Hawaiian Air flight from HNL unless we manage to catch a ship from LA.

thanks ducklite... I was beginning to wonder if I had made the right choice on Windstar. Spent the past 20 minutes looking at just a trip to Bora Bora for a week. Don't think I can beat the price from Windstar for room board and a multi Island tour and a small ship. Oh the decisions.

To be perfectly honest, if I had just gone to one island and stayed in a resort knowing what I experienced , I would have been so depressed. The beauty in a cruise is sailing through the glorious lagoon, visiting the very different islands. I hope you will enjoy whatever choice you make.

I have been to Tahiti on the Pacific princess (10nights I think and 600 passengers) and then a year later (Jan 2016) on the wind spirit (10 nights I think and 150 passengers)

We normally sail on Azamara and Oceania and the Windstar cruise in Tahiti was our first with them. We loved it and it was the best cruise we have been on. (so much so that we booked another windstar cruise in Italy later this summer) The ship and service and crew is wonderful and when you combine that with a non-traditional cruise ship experience it made for a wonderful time. The ships had a BBQ lunch ashore in Fakarava and night BBQ in Bora Bora. Both of these events were wonderful and not to be missed.

We also enjoyed the pacific princess. It was still smallish at 600 passengers and we also enjoyed it very much. It is much cheaper cost wise than windstar but it is also more of a traditional cruise experience both in the style of ship and on board experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Im an experienced cruiser, I have never use small ship like Windstar (Yatch type). Im plannning to do Tahiti sometimes in 2017. I am the seasick person easily. Yet, I have never had any sea ill on any ocean cruise lines. W. yatch seems very small, with your experience, please give me your input if this W yatch would make me sick. BTW: medicine does not help me. Im just sick for days in bed. Thank you in advance for all your inputs.

We were there in mid May this year and the seas were rough the last evening. There were people that were affected. I too am prone to seasickness, but I had used ginger and the wrist bands, and did not have a problem. You need to make sure you put on the bands before you start sailing. The cruise and the islands were a beautiful experience. If you think you can do it, I know you would not be disappointed.

We have been on the Wind Song (identical to the Wind Surf) before it caught fire off Bora Bora years ago. They towed it out and sunk it to become a reef. The only rough seas we encountered were between Bora Bora and Papeete the last night of the cruise.

We also went on the Renaissance ship before they went bankrupt - those ships eventually became Princess (the small ships) and some Oceania. Both of the cruises were the absolute best - great food... there was something magical about Wind Star, though - with the sails and exceptional service and the sports platform was great. We even water-skiied in Cooks Bay!

We have been on a Gauguin ship (Tere Moana) in the Med. and it was great too - but never the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti. I hea great things about that as well.

In the past 30 years, we have been to Tahiti (Moorea) at least every other year (probably 20+ times) - usually to Moorea for 2-3 weeks at a time. If you were going over for a land stay, you might try Moorea. It is much less expensive than Bora Bora and just as beautiful.

Thank you all for your great info. I take them to my heart. Like I said I did do the ocean ships at no problem. Oceania Regretta was smallest size ship I was on and we were in Pacific Ocean, the sea is always rough any time of the year, but i was okay. Im debating between Paul G and Windstar when comes to Tahiti. So many guests love the yatch W/S which I would love to experience the sailing feel of it. ANd this is my fear, the vomit, the headache...etc..So Paul G is an actual ship, bigger base, this is a safer feel for me? correct me if im wrong.

Is there a room or deck on W/S that you can recommend in order to avoid the seasick feel?

I have another question here, if it should be moved, i will do so: is there any overwater bungalows in Moorea that the water to swim is only 3 feet high. Our family member has small children. And we would like to an OWB with not to deep to swim. Many thanks in advance (our first time in Tahiti).

Small children and both the Paul Gauguin and Windstar are NOT a good match. Neither has children's activities, menu's, or other accommodation. I don't believe Windstar will accept children under 6.

Edited by ducklite

Small children and both the Paul Gauguin and Windstar are NOT a good match. Neither has children's activities, menu's, or other accommodation. I don't believe Windstar will accept children under 6.

Thank you for your input here. We are still planning. All our questions are thrown out there. We will take your advice here about no kids under 6 allowed on ships. Part of the family may want to do no cruise. SO if you know any OWB with 3 feet deep water for swimming, please help. Thankyou

Moorea is an ideal place for children - but please give ages. There are better places for very young (3-6) and then 6-9. Also give the duration of the stay and a budget. Since I have been going to Moorea almost every year for the past 30 years, I know most of the properties... and there is one for you!

An overwater with a walkway that is right off the beach sounds appropriate for the 3-6 age bracket - as long as they can be controlled from falling off the balcony where the water might be 6 + feet deep. How fancy do you want it and do you plan to eat out every meal?

Moorea is an ideal place for children - but please give ages. There are better places for very young (3-6) and then 6-9. Also give the duration of the stay and a budget. Since I have been going to Moorea almost every year for the past 30 years, I know most of the properties... and there is one for you!

An overwater with a walkway that is right off the beach sounds appropriate for the 3-6 age bracket - as long as they can be controlled from falling off the balcony where the water might be 6 + feet deep. How fancy do you want it and do you plan to eat out every meal?

You are surely cool! thank you in advance.

The kids are from 7 to 12. But some girls are very small frame, you dont think they are 7 or 8, you would think they are 5 or 6. To eat out and to explore is always nice. But we take in all options, inclusive or non-incl. With children, we do want to be picky and must go out all the time. We prefer not to have the bungalow that sits on sand and the deck lead out to the water. To us that is not OWB. We are looking at both Moorea and BR/BR. We do seriously take advices from you all here in the forum. We have no idea what is the price per night hotel for OWB tho. We are budget minded people. We are working people. So to save $$ is always appreciated. And again, bless you! and thank you for your offer to help. Please throw them all out: where to eat, hotel stay. We must experience the OWB regardless.

One thing I think will be an issue is that the OWB's usually have a max capacity of three. You might look into renting a house, the Marlon Brando house might be an option. Over the water with a twin next door, I want to thin they probably sleep 10-12 between them. Not sure how deep the water is.