Thoughts on Suva

Ruby_1966

On our RCL cruise in December we have a stop at Suva, Fiji.

Is it easy to just get off and walk around or are we better off to book a tour?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

There is only one word you need to know in Fiji and it is BULA.

We have been to Suva several times and really enjoy it. The port area itself can be a bit confronting the first time. The local tour operators and taxi drivers are all very enthusiastic for your business we just smile and say no thanks.

There is some really good shopping and some great Chinese Restaurants.

For a first visit I would recommend a short walk to the museum and maybe a stop at the Grand Pacific Hotel for a drink and a swim.

In Suva we hired a taxi for a look around. It was a Sunday so stores were not open. Not too many taxis on Sunday either but we found one easily enough, I don't remember being accosted. We were well toured, got out a couple of places and walked around, took photos, saw the president's home, some nice hotels and it's grounds which were getting set up for ship excursion visits.... . My spreadsheet says we paid $50 USD, probably with tip for about 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. Very friendly folks, no issues. m--

We will be in Suva overt night next April on our TP from Sydney to Seattle. Do you know if there are tours from Suva to Nadi? I would love to visit the Hard Rock Cafe on Denarau Island. We don't want to rent a car because we are not familiar with driving on the left side.

You are probably looking at 4 hours each way based on what our taxi driver said when we there in March.

That is a long tour, good to know. Thank you for the information.

• 3 weeks later...

Many people dislike Suva but IMHO it is no worse than half the ports visited in the Caribbean. Yes, you can walk around the town easily. There is a big fruit/vegetable/flower market very close to the port. And the usual tourist trap market not too far from the dock. You can also walk to the shops - there is a (I think) 3-storey building just around the corner from the dock which has interesting shops. There is a free transit bus from the dock to "downtown".

We have walked to the museum. It is probably about a mile and unless you are used to very humid heat, it would be advisable to take a cab. The museum was AUD$10 each (from memory) and we spent at least 2 hours there. Someone mentioned having a drink at the Grand Pacific Hotel. It was under renovation when we were there but it would be lovely.

There are plenty of tourist operators at the dock vying for your attention. Maybe there is a tour available that would suit you.

We have been to Suva 3 times and having 2 more stops coming up. To me it is a matter of enjoying the different culture and making the most of your stop.

BTW, beware of what they called "rascals". These are locals on the street (not at the wharf) who may offer to take you around. They are to be avoided at all costs

• 2 weeks later...
Many people dislike Suva but IMHO it is no worse than half the ports visited in the Caribbean. Yes, you can walk around the town easily. There is a big fruit/vegetable/flower market very close to the port. And the usual tourist trap market not too far from the dock. You can also walk to the shops - there is a (I think) 3-storey building just around the corner from the dock which has interesting shops. There is a free transit bus from the dock to "downtown".

We have walked to the museum. It is probably about a mile and unless you are used to very humid heat, it would be advisable to take a cab. The museum was AUD$10 each (from memory) and we spent at least 2 hours there. Someone mentioned having a drink at the Grand Pacific Hotel. It was under renovation when we were there but it would be lovely.

There are plenty of tourist operators at the dock vying for your attention. Maybe there is a tour available that would suit you.

We have been to Suva 3 times and having 2 more stops coming up. To me it is a matter of enjoying the different culture and making the most of your stop.

BTW, beware of what they called "rascals". These are locals on the street (not at the wharf) who may offer to take you around. They are to be avoided at all costs

Thank you so much. It is very interesting to read. :)

We liked Suva. We wandered through the three storey shopping building, then ambled our way though the town. I noticed several old colonial buildings that seemed to be under restoration. The Grand Pacific restoration was finished when we were there so we stopped for a drink, and then decided to have lunch there. Wonderful food. We got a taxi back to the markets, had a look through there, and also through a supermarket and a couple of shops nearby.

Suva isn't a trendy, glitzy, tourist town. It is what it is, a real Pacific Island capital city, no frills, no fuss, no hurry, no worry. :D

We liked Suva. We wandered through the three storey shopping building, then ambled our way though the town. I noticed several old colonial buildings that seemed to be under restoration. The Grand Pacific restoration was finished when we were there so we stopped for a drink, and then decided to have lunch there. Wonderful food. We got a taxi back to the markets, had a look through there, and also through a supermarket and a couple of shops nearby.

Suva isn't a trendy, glitzy, tourist town. It is what it is, a real Pacific Island capital city, no frills, no fuss, no hurry, no worry. :D

Thank you that sounds really good. :)

I was not a fan of Suva primarily because I was looking for ports with the South Pacific vibe. Suva is not it. To get to nice beaches requires a decent trek. AS others have said you can walk around and there are shops, etc. IMHO not really anything unique to purchase and it is a relatively large and active city. Not really a local village feel at all.

Be aware of the "wood carvers" who tend to line up along the street asking you for your name. Then then quickly carve your name on the trashy wood carving and insist that you now have to buy it. Ignore them.

I was not a fan of Suva primarily because I was looking for ports with the South Pacific vibe. Suva is not it. To get to nice beaches requires a decent trek. AS others have said you can walk around and there are shops, etc. IMHO not really anything unique to purchase and it is a relatively large and active city. Not really a local village feel at all.

Be aware of the "wood carvers" who tend to line up along the street asking you for your name. Then then quickly carve your name on the trashy wood carving and insist that you now have to buy it. Ignore them.

Thank you that is very good to know.