Car Rental CDW in Europe.

I just read Rick Steve's article on renting cars in Europe and what to choose CDW coverage or not. It is really excellent and my husband and I both now feel as though we have a good handle on OUR best bet renting a car for next month. You can get there by Google " Rick Steves car rental in Europe".

The guide walks you through several options. For us, we have 2 Visa Signature accounts and one MasterCard World account. We went into the Visa Signature site and got the card benefits section. Using the information from the Rick Steve's site, we determined that we were covered for all rental car CDW expenses and we have $3000 US lost luggage benefit and some cancellation and medical expenses benefits. It was much more than I thought and it is all spelled out in about 5 easy to read pages. Rick says that you need to print those pages and take it with you as proof that your CDW insurance is provided. There are some rules so make sure for yourself.

I hope this helps some of you. I am forever in debate on take CDW at the rental counter or don't and run a big risk. If you don't have a Visa Signature account -- read about the benefits (and think of the 40K bonus points and the 2 points per dollar) and consider adding this credit card. Many Visa's ours happens to both be Capital One Venture cards.

Not selling credit cards or insurance but you need to know what is in your benefits for the cards . If you spend less on the rental car --more to spend somewhere else.

Yep! That was one I didn't think about but I have heard people get ripped on it -- like 15 days for a small scratch or such. The important thing I learned was you must decline all CDW from rental company. Read the rules your company might have different set than mine. I was pleased though at how much travel insurance type benefits are offered at no additional cost. Put it on the card anyway:D I always hope I don't have to test out any of these insurances. I am finally getting smart enough to at least think about what these choices are and what I am deciding on.

CDW is what they sell you (or try to) at the rental car counter. It would be 28 Euros a day for full coverage on my German car rental for 12 days so you can see why I am so happy! Read the article about car rental in Europe and then read the card benefits from your own credit card (I have Capital One Visa signature Venture Card). Rick Steves explained it better than anyone else has at least for me. I guess part of the problem was I really really wanted the insurance agent for my car insurance to say they covered the CDW but that is not how it works. Probably each credit card has it's own rules but for mine I am happy with the additional coverage.

Credit cards in US have become very competitive looking for customers. Points and credits and partnerships and benefits can add up to some savings or conveniences or just take a lot of time. I will not pay for using a credit card but I am willing to open for bonus points. In America a good credit score can get you cards that do much for you. The important point is to pay them off monthly. If you can do that -- the points and benefits are a free bonus.

As a frequent international renter of cars (for over thirty years) we can simply say it is a friggen minefield. While we are big fans of the Rick Steves books (and often recommend them here on CC) I am not sure we totally agree on this particular issue. Yes, many of us have credit cards that give CDW coverage in most of Europe (Italy and Ireland are often excluded by most cards). Personally, we have often relied on that coverage...but we are aware of the risks. The real question is will the cards truly pay-off, what hoops will you have to jump through, and what happens in the meantime.

And one should carefully review the fine print of the CDW coverage. The credit card company will often require a police report (not always possible) and other compliance procedures. So one should be cautious, informed, and consider the ramifications before they make CDW decisions.

As to Loss of Use (which can also cost thousands of Euros in a major accident) this is another minefield. Some credit card policies give some coverage and others do not! But even when covered, the credit card companies sometimes demand all kinds of proof (where you are at the mercy of the rental car agency) before they will pay off.

So what to do. If you are renting for 1 or 2 days you might want to bite the bullet and buy excess insurance. But for longer term rentals you may have to roll the dice. On the longer term (3 days or longer) you might also want to check with Autoeurope.com or Kemwel.com (sister companies) to see what kind of "inclusive" deals they can offer. We have sometimes been able to rent cars with zero deductable...and other times NOT.

For really long term rentals (3 weeks or longer) in France you might want to check-out the leasing deals from Peugeot which include lots of insurance. Those leases allow you to actually pre-order a new car (to your specifications).... This is a great deal for those who might be spending the summer in Europe...

Hank

As a frequent international renter of cars (for over thirty years) we can simply say it is a friggen minefield. While we are big fans of the Rick Steves books (and often recommend them here on CC) I am not sure we totally agree on this particular issue. Yes, many of us have credit cards that give CDW coverage in most of Europe (Italy and Ireland are often excluded by most cards). Personally, we have often relied on that coverage...but we are aware of the risks. The real question is will the cards truly pay-off, what hoops will you have to jump through, and what happens in the meantime.

And one should carefully review the fine print of the CDW coverage. The credit card company will often require a police report (not always possible) and other compliance procedures. So one should be cautious, informed, and consider the ramifications before they make CDW decisions.

As to Loss of Use (which can also cost thousands of Euros in a major accident) this is another minefield. Some credit card policies give some coverage and others do not! But even when covered, the credit card companies sometimes demand all kinds of proof (where you are at the mercy of the rental car agency) before they will pay off.

So what to do. If you are renting for 1 or 2 days you might want to bite the bullet and buy excess insurance. But for longer term rentals you may have to roll the dice. On the longer term (3 days or longer) you might also want to check with Autoeurope.com or Kemwel.com (sister companies) to see what kind of "inclusive" deals they can offer. We have sometimes been able to rent cars with zero deductable...and other times NOT.

For really long term rentals (3 weeks or longer) in France you might want to check-out the leasing deals from Peugeot which include lots of insurance. Those leases allow you to actually pre-order a new car (to your specifications).... This is a great deal for those who might be spending the summer in Europe...

Hank

Thanks for the information Hank. I appreciate your input. We will be in France for about 15 days. We are renting at Frankfurt airport and returning to Rotterdam airport. There is a 250 Euro fee for dropping off in Netherlands instead of Germany -- but I got such a good deal that the cost is still less than it was to rent in France and train to port. I agree it is a minefield but the trip we wanted needed the freedom of a car so roll the dice and take our chance. I am using Hertz because longtime member of loyalty and married driver spouse free and if I have troubles at least can deal in English at home. With the tragic floods raging in France right now might be better off with a rental boat! We still have 16 days to start but the films look horrible and one of the chateaus we are visiting is surrounded and isolated by floodwater.

Thanks for the information Hank. I appreciate your input. We will be in France for about 15 days. We are renting at Frankfurt airport and returning to Rotterdam airport. There is a 250 Euro fee for dropping off in Netherlands instead of Germany -- but I got such a good deal that the cost is still less than it was to rent in France and train to port. I agree it is a minefield but the trip we wanted needed the freedom of a car so roll the dice and take our chance. I am using Hertz because longtime member of loyalty and married driver spouse free and if I have troubles at least can deal in English at home. With the tragic floods raging in France right now might be better off with a rental boat! We still have 16 days to start but the films look horrible and one of the chateaus we are visiting is surrounded and isolated by floodwater.

Sounds like a good plan. Hertz and Europcar are long been our two "go to" car agencies in Europe (although we often use AutoEurope or Kemwel to book those companies at a decent discount). Sixt has also provided us with some decent cars.

The rain/flood situation in France looks awful! Just last night I saw a report which predicts Paris will be back to near-normal in a week....but we fear that some of the flood damage in the Loire will linger. One of our most memorable trips was driving through the Loire where we stayed in and dined at many Chateaus (this was many years ago with the Euro was at 89 cents!

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

I have a qualifying American Express card and I have subscribed to their Premium Car Rental Insurance plan. For a flat $24.95 per rental up to a 42 day rental, you have complete CDW coverage and American Express is primary for theft and damage. You pay when you rent. Not a monthly charge.

Copied from the American Express website - Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand.4

Coverage is for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington State Card Members). Coverage automatically extends to other eligible American Express Card Account(s) when you enroll one of your Card Account(s). (Note: not all accounts are eligible, for example Corporate Cards).

Like all insurance there are some exclusions for certain types of vehicles and uses but definitely worth checking out if you have an AMEX card. The exclusions are no different than with your other CC companies but this coverage is more complete and AMEX is primary not secondary on the claim.

I should say that there is a $19.95 per rental option but the extra $5 provides a lot more peace of mind.

No CC covers liability.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?&pcrpsource=SEM&extlink=ps-us-pcrp-google-Brand_Insurance_Exact_RLSA-sYXVyGbuE|dc&pcrid=108426734105&pmt=e&kw=american%20express%20premium%20rental%20car%20insurance&gclid=CNLN6teJv80CFQERaQodVJsH3w

I have a qualifying American Express card and I have subscribed to their Premium Car Rental Insurance plan. For a flat $24.95 per rental up to a 42 day rental, you have complete CDW coverage and American Express is primary for theft and damage. You pay when you rent. Not a monthly charge.

Copied from the American Express website - Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand.4

Coverage is for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington State Card Members). Coverage automatically extends to other eligible American Express Card Account(s) when you enroll one of your Card Account(s). (Note: not all accounts are eligible, for example Corporate Cards).

Like all insurance there are some exclusions for certain types of vehicles and uses but definitely worth checking out if you have an AMEX card. The exclusions are no different than with your other CC companies but this coverage is more complete and AMEX is primary not secondary on the claim.

I should say that there is a $19.95 per rental option but the extra $5 provides a lot more peace of mind.

No CC covers liability.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?&pcrpsource=SEM&extlink=ps-us-pcrp-google-Brand_Insurance_Exact_RLSA-sYXVyGbuE|dc&pcrid=108426734105&pmt=e&kw=american%20express%20premium%20rental%20car%20insurance&gclid=CNLN6teJv80CFQERaQodVJsH3w

We have had an AMEX card for over forty years and often use it for rental cars in Europe. As to paying extra for the Premium...one needs to consider if it is worthwhile. Even the regular AMEX coverage (not the Premium) becomes primary outside the USA (for most of us) since US auto insurance gives no coverage. The Primary aspect is only worthwhile if renting a car within North America. The higher coverage limits are worthwhile if you rent very expensive cars...but most normal rentals are easily covered under their regular coverage. We assess our situation before every trip, and if we see a specific reason to get their Premium Coverage we simply activate that on our account (and often cancel it as soon as we return home).

One problem we have with AMEX is that it does not give coverage in several countries (such as New Zealand and Australia, and certain other countries in Europe such as Ireland and Italy which are covered by either our MC or Visa. So it is not a one card fits all kind of thing...and one is well-advised to look at each situation (in advance) and find the best insurance solution.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have had an AMEX card for over forty years and often use it for rental cars in Europe. As to paying extra for the Premium...one needs to consider if it is worthwhile. Even the regular AMEX coverage (not the Premium) becomes primary outside the USA (for most of us) since US auto insurance gives no coverage. The Primary aspect is only worthwhile if renting a car within North America. The higher coverage limits are worthwhile if you rent very expensive cars...but most normal rentals are easily covered under their regular coverage. We assess our situation before every trip, and if we see a specific reason to get their Premium Coverage we simply activate that on our account (and often cancel it as soon as we return home).

One problem we have with AMEX is that it does not give coverage in several countries (such as New Zealand and Australia, and certain other countries in Europe such as Ireland and Italy which are covered by either our MC or Visa. So it is not a one card fits all kind of thing...and one is well-advised to look at each situation (in advance) and find the best insurance solution.

Hank

Hlitner, you are absolutely right and I never said it was a one stop shop. I was only offering one of many alternatives. I also disclosed exactly what countries were not covered. For me, it is absolutely worth the nominal charge to have American Express take the primary position instead of the secondary one. It makes the entire process much faster. I only have one company to deal with - American Express. My other cards from Visa and MasterCard are secondary coverage so I have to file with everyone else first before I turn to them. It takes far more work and much longer for me to get reimbursed. That is why I use the American Express Premium Car Rental insurance.

For those of you driving in 6 countries excluded from AMEX's coverage, of course it isn't an option. For those of you that don't mind having to file with one company, wait for the outcome, and then turn around and file all over again with your Visa or MasterCard issuer, by all means don't use American Express. As for me, file once and only once is worth $24.95 per rental up to a 42 day rental and it is far superior to buying the incredibly expensive coverage offered at the rental counter. I had one experience several years ago with filing with a Visa issuer. They required that I file with my automobile insurance company first, obtain the denial, and then file with them. Long drawn out affair. Never again.

Edited by mjobtx

The Chase Sapphire Preferred and the JP Morgan Palladium cards both offer Primary Auto Rental Coverage Worldwide:

E.g., the Chase:

"Auto Rental Coverage

Your Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver has been enhanced from secondary coverage to primary. So if the unexpected occurs, you can now rely on an enhanced level of coverage. Decline the rental company’s collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.*"

E.g.:

https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1130203/inline/SapphirePreferred_World_Mastercard_M0000035_BGC10379_Eng_P.pdf?__gda__=exp=1466919001~acl=/api3/file/1130203/inline/SapphirePreferred_World_Mastercard_M0000035_BGC10379_Eng_P.pdf*~hmac=0c909c46ad3d4e68a62b5ac130dc506ced5c1fb5576567b8c56beb6dcf1c1901

The Chase Sapphire Preferred and the JP Morgan Palladium cards both offer Primary Auto Rental Coverage Worldwide:

E.g., the Chase:

"Auto Rental Coverage

Your Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver has been enhanced from secondary coverage to primary. So if the unexpected occurs, you can now rely on an enhanced level of coverage. Decline the rental company’s collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.*"

E.g.:

https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/1130203/inline/SapphirePreferred_World_Mastercard_M0000035_BGC10379_Eng_P.pdf?__gda__=exp=1466919001~acl=/api3/file/1130203/inline/SapphirePreferred_World_Mastercard_M0000035_BGC10379_Eng_P.pdf*~hmac=0c909c46ad3d4e68a62b5ac130dc506ced5c1fb5576567b8c56beb6dcf1c1901

Thanks for the info notjaded. I think I have a Chase Slate around here somewhere but I didn't read the fine print in that multi-page document I received. It will save me $24.95 to use it. I probably don't have the document anywhere. Does it cover all countries unlike AMEX? Italy is one I can see driving in. The others, probably not.

Michael

Thanks for the info notjaded. I think I have a Chase Slate around here somewhere but I didn't read the fine print in that multi-page document I received. It will save me $24.95 to use it. I probably don't have the document anywhere. Does it cover all countries unlike AMEX? Italy is one I can see driving in. The others, probably not.

Michael

Your are welcome.

I don't know anything about the Slate, but the very best thing you can do is get a benefit brochure mailed to you, and discuss the details with the Chase folks.

Edited by notjaded

Your are welcome.

I don't know anything about the Slate, but the very best thing you can do is get a benefit brochure mailed to you, and discuss the details with the Chase folks.

Thanks again. You are right. Card companies have so many variations and that don't all have the same benefits.