Autograph service being discontinued

Got2GoGo

It's no wonder why they are stopping the unofficial service.

Comments like they only allow 2 items per Stateroom? But I have 3 kids!

And the items ranging from photo mats and plates, to sneakers, backpacks, quilt squares. The list is endless, and must have become an ever increasing headache for GS to deal with as more and more people requested the service. And then those that complain that a character used the wrong color or signed in the "wrong" place.

It's easy to see how a once magical special unofficial service has become expected and out of control taking up too much time.

ex techie

I would bet on it returning as a concierge perk or a fee service after the expected hair pulling, teeth gnashing and speculation as to whether or not Walt is turning over in his grave.

I would bet on it returning as a concierge perk or a fee service after the expected hair pulling, teeth gnashing and speculation as to whether or not Walt is turning over in his grave.

LOL! That is too true on all counts!

ex techie

Agree with all of the above.

And if people must have their "stuff" signed, they can take it in the meet and greet lines WITH their markers and something to lean it on to be signed. There is no rule that only a book can be signed at meet and greets. That would actually be more fair to the characters as they would be signing during "on stage" time. Of course, if this gets out of hand, we'll see rules like autograph books only or one item per person can be signed.

Edited by moki'smommy

It's already been reported on another site that shoreside are saying only autograph books will be signed at the meet and greets.

For once it sounds like DCL have thought ahead and stopped what could only become a massive mess of 5 kids all wanting signatures on a certain place on XYZ item, and the helicopter parents also adding their 2c worth about which color.

ex techie

It's already been reported on another site that shoreside are saying only autograph books will be signed at the meet and greets.

For once it sounds like DCL have thought ahead and stopped what could only become a massive mess of 5 kids all wanting signatures on a certain place on XYZ item, and the helicopter parents also adding their 2c worth about which color.

ex techie

Good--keep the lines moving!

I would HATE to be on Guest Services after these dates:

Disney Dream – August 7, 2015 | 3-Night Bahamian Cruise – Itinerary A from Port Canaveral

Disney Fantasy – August 8, 2015 | 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise – Itinerary C from Port Canaveral

Disney Magic – August 10, 2015 | 5-Night Mediterranean Cruise – Itinerary B from Barcelona

Disney Wonder – August 10, 2015 | 7-Night Alaskan Cruise – Itinerary A from Vancouver

I really hope they do not get too much abuse, but I fear they will. Complete meltdowns by adults that will encourage their children to join in their screaming and shouting and tears, demands for refunds because their cruise is ruined!!!!

If they have been double smart, they would have emailed every Guest on cruises after those dates pre warning them not to bring items to be signed.

Unlikely they thought that far ahead, nor that those that would have a meltdown would read it, or believe they are special and somehow DCL would still make it happen for them.

I get the disappointment for anyone who was hoping to have something signed. But as anyone who has cruised before knows, policies can change on a day to day basis, and your expectations need to allow for that and reflect that in your attitude.

The one thing is DCL need to be firm and consistent on this, because of they allow even just one person the same privilege and it is posted on there DISboards, all hell will break loose and they will be back to square one.

It's such a shame that a once off magical moment has turned into this, and to be fair, DCL should have nipped this in the bud many many years ago before THEY allowed it to get out of hand. As I've said before, they can be their own worst enemy sometimes.

ex techie

Your one phrase said it all--"policies can change on a day to day basis." We have done B2B cruises where there were policy changes between the legs.

This was a nice perk while it lasted, but it had lots of problems...."I didn't get my markers back. They were expensive markers, blah blah." Sorry--your item is handed around a table with a bunch of people doing the signatures. By the end, your markers had become separated from your object. Too bad. "But I have 3 kids and can't get just 2 items signed." Too bad--rules are rules. ETC.

And you hit the key point. The policy needs to be etched in stone. ONE exception and they are going to be in trouble, even if that exception is a concierge guest.

Ruined their cruise. Yeah, right. If this ruins your cruise, you need to get a life.

Your one phrase said it all--"policies can change on a day to day basis." We have done B2B cruises where there were policy changes between the legs.

This was a nice perk while it lasted' date=' but it had lots of problems...."I didn't get my markers back. They were expensive markers, blah blah." Sorry--your item is handed around a table with a bunch of people doing the signatures. By the end, your markers had become separated from your object. Too bad. "But I have 3 kids and can't get just 2 items signed." Too bad--rules are rules. ETC.

And you hit the key point. The policy needs to be etched in stone. ONE exception and they are going to be in trouble, even if that exception is a concierge guest.

Ruined their cruise. Yeah, right. If this ruins your cruise, you need to get a life.[/quote']

Too true!

ex techie

One suggestion...if you happen to get a special perk that is not available to the general public or the general concierge guest, it is probably best to keep quiet about it. We have had several instances of special treatment. In some cases it was because it was a perk on that cruise for all platinum guests or for all Back to Back guests. Other times it was frankly because after 30 cruises we know a few CMs in high places and sometimes nice things just happen. But when something happens that is out of the normal, I don't discuss it on the boards because then everyone will come to expect it.

Darn. Not the end of the world but disappointing. I wonder if a concierge at say the end of August would have wiggle room to get an item signed.

I hope not. There are many special perks to being Concierge as it is.

If they do this, they might as well have made that clear that from theses dates forth, only Concierge Guests will have this privilege.

But knowing the way some behave being Concierge, I am resigned to knowing it will happen for those at least in the Walt or Roy. Whether they keep their mouths shut.... Unlikely.

I don't think they will send anything out, because that risks the probably 2/3 of the people on the ship who had no idea it existed now being upset because it was taken away.

It could easily be handled by saying that a previously unofficial service you may or may not have known about is no longer available.

Disney Cruise Line regrets that due to over demand and un reasonable requests, this service is no longer offered.

End of. those that knew, now know it isn't, and those that didn't know, also know it isn't.

They are pre warned, it should be repeated in the terminal from day one and henceforth, that "No items will be accepted by Guest Services for Character Signatures unfortunately. You may wish to bring an autograph book to Character meet and greets for the Characters to sign that will be plentiful on your Disney Cruise. No other items other than autograph books will be signed unfortunately due to demand to see our World Famous Disney Characters.

Please sign here to acknowledge that you understand this policy"

ex techie

Still thank that will cause more problems than it solves.

What there can be is a sign at Guest services that says "We are sorry, but no items can be accepted or held at Guest Services."

Even if they sign something people will still complain.

It could easily be handled by saying that a previously unofficial service you may or may not have known about is no longer available.

Disney Cruise Line regrets that due to over demand and un reasonable requests, this service is no longer offered.

ex techie

Still thank that will cause more problems than it solves.

What there can be is a sign at Guest services that says "We are sorry, but no items can be accepted or held at Guest Services."

Even if they sign something people will still complain.

I said that an email sent out could

in regards to your statement that it would create more fuss if they told Guests via email.

I also said that telling the Guests at check in in the terminal where I said it could be handled this way would re-enforce that message for those that missed the email.

They are pre warned, it should be repeated in the terminal from day one and henceforth, that "No items will be accepted by Guest Services for Character Signatures unfortunately. You may wish to bring an autograph book to Character meet and greets for the Characters to sign that will be plentiful on your Disney Cruise. No other items other than autograph books will be signed unfortunately due to demand to see our World Famous Disney Characters.

Please sign here to acknowledge that you understand this policy"

I agree to disagree?

I'm only thinking of the Guest Services CM's that will be battered with complaints, so warning Guest's in advance is the best option I see, rather than those that did not know, do not care, having to see lines of screaming adults having total meltdowns like a 3 years old over being able to get items signed pre the policy change.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Darn. Not the end of the world but disappointing. I wonder if a concierge at say the end of August would have wiggle room to get an item signed.

Sign it yourself; that would be no different than some random cast member doing it.

I feel bad for guest services, but I also recall a cruise on another line where there was a letter in cabins on board that due to some maintenance work a certain facility was going to be out of order for two days of 10...

People went to pax services to complain and demand a free cruise.

Actual overheard quote "I didn't even know you had an XXX but since I can't use it I want a credit."

Lets just say 500 people know about it on a 3000 pax ship. If they don't say anything, maybe 100 of those will complain vocally (20 percent). If they tell all 3000, and only 5 percent decide to complain (you are still going to get a good hunk of that same 100), you get 150 complaints. You will also get idiots who don't read and think, for example, that all autograph sessions have been cancelled. Or will see the words 'Mickey Mail' and think no more newsletters.

Disney makes changes to its Platinum plan every year. Every year people scream how they are taking things away and making it cheaper. The vast majority of those will never ever book that plan and say so.

Unfortunately, if people perceive that something has been taken away from them, even if its something they wouldn't normally use, they complain, because there is a perception of lost paid for value and cheapness on the part of the provider. This is true even if it wasn't a formal offering before. Disney VIP tour guides often find themselves on the hook for something nice another guide did extra on a prior tour...

That said, there is a partial way to mitigate the potential drama. In the Navigator, put an autograph policy block stating that only books or similar can be signed, and autographs are available only at scheduled meet and greets and autograph sessions (wording intentional). This way at least Guest Services have a written policy to point to. And if Disney wanted to make nice for a bit, hold an autograph session with several characters and tickets like Anna and Elsa someplace like they do at sports signing events.

I said that an email sent out could

in regards to your statement that it would create more fuss if they told Guests via email.

I also said that telling the Guests at check in in the terminal where I said it could be handled this way would re-enforce that message for those that missed the email.

I agree to disagree?

I'm only thinking of the Guest Services CM's that will be battered with complaints, so warning Guest's in advance is the best option I see, rather than those that did not know, do not care, having to see lines of screaming adults having total meltdowns like a 3 years old over being able to get items signed pre the policy change.

ex techie

I feel bad for guest services...

That said, there is a partial way to mitigate the potential drama. In the Navigator, put an autograph policy block stating that only books or similar can be signed, and autographs are available only at scheduled meet and greets and autograph sessions (wording intentional). This way at least Guest Services have a written policy to point to. And if Disney wanted to make nice for a bit, hold an autograph session with several characters and tickets like Anna and Elsa someplace like they do at sports signing events.

Stating a policy in the Navigator is a good idea. It shuts down the people who knew and doesn't point out the difference to people who didn't. I'm happy though to see that MOST people here and on Dis are taking the news with a sigh and moving on. I find myself getting irritated with the ones looking for exceptions regardless of the fare paid.

Our first cruise is coming up and I'm excited. That being said, I am not EXPECTING pixie dust only a fun vacation. I feel pretty confident that just seeing characters on the ship will be plenty for DD. Alas, it's the adults who are unrealistic.

Stating a policy in the Navigator is a good idea. It shuts down the people who knew and doesn't point out the difference to people who didn't. I'm happy though to see that MOST people here and on Dis are taking the news with a sigh and moving on. I find myself getting irritated with the ones looking for exceptions regardless of the fare paid.

Our first cruise is coming up and I'm excited. That being said, I am not EXPECTING pixie dust only a fun vacation. I feel pretty confident that just seeing characters on the ship will be plenty for DD. Alas, it's the adults who are unrealistic.

Imagine that, people who've made final payment may be a bit miffed when the other party decides to alter the terms of the contract. Again it won't be the end of the world and I think it could be amusing to see a list of items dropped off for signatures but last minute unilateral contract changes are never a good thing.

Imagine that, people who've made final payment may be a bit miffed when the other party decides to alter the terms of the contract. Again it won't be the end of the world and I think it could be amusing to see a list of items dropped off for signatures but last minute unilateral contract changes are never a good thing.

Was Mickey Mail part of your contract? It wasn't in mine. Not even in the additional concierge perks that shoreside contacted me about....

It was an offered amenity that I received on my first cruise and that was still offered when I booked the cruise and after final payment. If you're happy paying for something only to have it taken away thats great. I'm sure I'll still have a very Disney cruise with or without the signatures.

Having items signed was never part of the cruise contract, nothing was altered.