Ocean-The Beach House

jessie36

Hi All,

We are on Oceana in September and have booked the Beach House for one of the evenings. If this turns out to be a formal night will we have to wear formal dress to eat in the Beach House?.

Thanks for any advice.

According to the P&O web site - No - allegedly :)

The web site says black tie code applies in Oceana's Crows Nest but of course Oceana does not have a Crows Nest :confused::rolleyes:

I have never been on Oceana, but will be next year for first time. I have done other P&0 ships and black tie applies to every dining room, bar and restaurant, other than main buffet and upper deck bars. My understanding is it is the policy throughout the fleet. So I would be surprised if black tie does not apply to the Beach House. Black tie is usually on the evening of a sea day. So if you have booked Beach House for a sea day then good chance it will be black tie

Edited by Mr Piano

I have never been on Oceana, but will be next year for first time. I have done other P&0 ships and black tie applies to every dining room, bar and restaurant, other than main buffet and upper deck bars. My understanding is it is the policy throughout the fleet. So I would be surprised if black tie does not apply to the Beach House. Black tie is usually on the evening of a sea day. So if you have booked Beach House for a sea day then good chance it will be black tie

Sorry, just plain wrong, honest ;)

the P&O website has a list of where the formal dress code applies.

For example on Oceana the only bar where Black tie applies is Magnums. The Yacht and Compass, Winners, Le Club, Starlights and Explorers bar are all evening casual.

P&O seem to have had the crazy idea to change the Glasshouse to black tie on formal nights. The glasshouse concept is meant to be a relaxed bar where you can buy food if you wish.

On all the P&O cruises I have been on you could not book the Beach House in advance, you just turn up on the night and either go in or get given a pager to come back.

Is it different on Oceana?.

The Beach house on Oceana used to be the Horizon Grill and is the nearest thing that Oceana has to a cover charge restaurant. There is no epicurean or sindhu aboard and last time I was aboard I noticed that they had replaced the normal buffet chairs with softer ones during the times the beach house was open. OK, there is café Jardin but it is not a 'fine cuisine' restaurant. Neither is the beach house. Last time I ate there I had an excellent meal and terrible indigestion for hours afterward. I suspect the food is just too rich :(

No you don't have to dress in formal wear to eat at the Beach House. We ate there a couple of times on Ventura, the ribs and burgers were great adn well worth it if you don't want the buffet but don't want to dress up. We didn't have to book and the cover charge was £5 although some of the dishes had a extra charge. Like on Ventura, Oceana has a sectioned off part of the buffet area.

Have a wonderful time, we loved Oceana.

We've just got back from an amazing cruise and can say that you will LOVE The Beach House whatever you are wearing! Don't think you had to dress up in the Beach House on formal nights as they didn't in Café Jardin on a formal night.

We were told that from next week the cost of the Café Jardin and Beach House is going up from £5 to £7.50 (we think). To be honest, after paying $50 on Celebrity that really seemed more than a bargain!

We have lots to feed back but that will be tomorrow when we've finished unpacking (boo hoo)

Edited by Presto2

We're just back from oceana and had booked the beach house specifically on the formal nights as we didn't want to dress up. The horizon did say black tie applied to all the restaurants except buffet but when I checked at reception they confirmed that we didn't need to dress up. A few groups dining in there were in black tie but the rest were like us. I would recommend booking the speciality restaurants before you go or book on the first day on board as we did see people being turned away for bookings. I can highly recommend both the beach house and cafe jardin, we actually had better service and food in them than in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're just back from oceana and had booked the beach house specifically on the formal nights as we didn't want to dress up. The horizon did say black tie applied to all the restaurants except buffet but when I checked at reception they confirmed that we didn't need to dress up. A few groups dining in there were in black tie but the rest were like us. I would recommend booking the speciality restaurants before you go or book on the first day on board as we did see people being turned away for bookings. I can highly recommend both the beach house and cafe jardin, we actually had better service and food in them than in the MDR.

Hope you too had a great time - we've had an amazing time. Could have seen you and not known :):) Must admit, I can't imagine being in formal gear in the Beach House in that heat ! Agree re booking. We met someone who had only been able to get a slot there on the Tuesday night that we were in Venice. Enough said.

It was fantastic wasn't it! I've been glued to the website since coming back to look at which cruise we can do next [emoji4] I have to say, it was a lovely atmosphere on board, the other guests were friendly and staff attentive but not pushy, a wonderful holiday [emoji274][emoji274]

It was fantastic wasn't it! I've been glued to the website since coming back to look at which cruise we can do next [emoji4] I have to say, it was a lovely atmosphere on board, the other guests were friendly and staff attentive but not pushy, a wonderful holiday [emoji274][emoji274]

Totally agree and will write our review today. A wonderful cruise and credit to the whole crew and fellow passengers. Just want to be back there today :-(