Steakhouse VS. Chef's Table on Conquest

Gabby229

I have not yet been to the chefs table but I have never read a negative review of it. It seems to be one thing that is a unique experience loved by everyone who tries it. I have eaten at the steakhouse and we love it! The food is much better than the dining room. It is a quiet intimate place to enjoy an excellent meal. On our next cruise we will do both. The steakhouse is a relaxed meal with friends and the chefs table is more like a food excursion, an adventure for the eyes and tastebuds. After reading so so many chef table reviews, I think for me that is a "must go" at least once:) the steakhouse will be a must go for me and DH each cruise as we really enjoy it.

We have done the Steakhouse many times and the CT 5 times. Very different, each in their own way. The Steakhouse offers an upscale meal above the MDR and takes 2 + hours. The CT is an experience, including a tour of the Kitchen during first seating cooking, 7 courses (pre-selected) with fee flowing red and white wine. Depending on the ship, it is either held in the kitchen or sometimes other rooms. We have had it last three hours, and the menu might be considered somewhat eclectic for moderate tastes. I would highly recommend both.

Edited by jimbo5544

They are 2 very different things. Steakhouse is a nice dinner with a $35pp additional charge. Chef's table is an on-ship excursion that gets you a 7 course dinner with wine, champagne and appetizers, galley tour, photos with the chef for $75. Depends what you want to experience.

We are doing both and will always try to do both. They are both different experiences and amazing. I like the steakhouse on the first night for the free bottle of wine!

Us too, we always do the Steakhouse on the first night and sometimes the last. This cruise will be our first time doing Chef's Table and I am so excited.:)

Edited by vegasmommy

• 1 month later...
Do you book the chef's table prior to cruise date? Through the website?

You can book it in advance by sending an email to the maitre'd of the MDR. I think you can also schedule by asking John Heald on his site.

Do you book the chef's table prior to cruise date? Through the website?

If you are absolutely wanting to experience the CT I book book ahead. Most cruises it is still available at the start of the sailing however there is a limit of 16 per sailing which is just over half of 1% of the patrons on board. It is possible for it to be sold out prior to boarding.

As others have said you may contact JH (which I used the first time) and email the stakehouse. You can also book it through the stakehouse button on your CCL website (which I used for our last time on the Conquest)

Happy sailing

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

We finally did CT on our last cruise and was a very interesting experience.

We do not eat pork or shellfish and they were very good about working with us and giving us other dishes to replace ones made with pork or shellfish.

If you like gourmet dining certainly worth trying at least once.

If you are absolutely wanting to experience the CT I book book ahead. Most cruises it is still available at the start of the sailing however there is a limit of 16 per sailing which is just over half of 1% of the patrons on board. It is possible for it to be sold out prior to boarding.

As others have said you may contact JH (which I used the first time) and email the stakehouse. You can also book it through the stakehouse button on your CCL website (which I used for our last time on the Conquest)

Happy sailing

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure where the 16 per sailing came from. On the Valor (an 8 night cruise) the Chef Table was offered a few different nights with 12 per night.

Also, OP, the time we spent at the CT was about 4 hours as opposed to 2 hours in the steakhouse. Champagne started at 5:30 pm and we were done around 9:30. The magician came in and did some card tricks during one wait period between courses, but most courses are presented fairly regularly with very detailed information about the ingredients and the processes required to make each dish.

• 4 months later...
I like the steakhouse on the first night for the free bottle of wine!

Hi! I've never tried the steakhouse. I don't drink wine but my Mother, who I will be with, does like wine. She wont finish the whole bottle in one meal tho. Will they "save" it for her for other nights, and, if so, can it be "transferred" to the MDR so she can enjoy it there?

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

We have done the Steakhouse many times and the CT 5 times. Very different, each in their own way. The Steakhouse offers an upscale meal above the MDR and takes 2 + hours. The CT is an experience, including a tour of the Kitchen during first seating cooking, 7 courses (pre-selected) with fee flowing red and white wine. Depending on the ship, it is either held in the kitchen or sometimes other rooms. We have had it last three hours, and the menu might be considered somewhat eclectic for moderate tastes. I would highly recommend both.

Yes ^^^^^ Exactly what I was going to say!! :D

Hi! I've never tried the steakhouse. I don't drink wine but my Mother, who I will be with, does like wine. She wont finish the whole bottle in one meal tho. Will they "save" it for her for other nights, and, if so, can it be "transferred" to the MDR so she can enjoy it there?

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

Yes!

Is it appropriate for a 13 year old who loves to cook and enjoy different foods. Well behaved and would be fascinated by touring the kitchen.

Our Chef's table was a 3 hour event. Would the teenager be up for that?

Is s/he able to make appropriate conversation with adults for a great length of time?

If so, then yes, a teenager would likely enjoy the event. (I will note that I do not drink and found the meal to be worth the price without alcohol. Soda is provided.)

We LOVED the Chef's Table. I cried when I realized there was no way I was going to be able to do it our most recent cruise (being pregnant, I don't think I ate that much food the entire cruise, much less in 1 meal...). To the OP, when choosing between the steakhouse: do you want a romantic meal with a spouse/special meal with your group? Or a food experience? To me, that's the difference between the two.

Edited by skittl1321

If you go to the steakhouse on the first night sailing, do you get to choose the bottle of wine from a list, or is it only "red or white" and their choice?

There's 1 red and 1 white available, both very cheap. I've only had the red as DH doesn't drink white (I drink either, but prefer red or sparkling to white anyway), but the red is nothing special but perfectly drinkable. Not too sweet.

Edited by berrieh

We did the Chef's Table on the Conquest this spring. They have a beautifully decorated room off of the dining room for it. There were 14 of us. It was an amazing experience and we can't wait to do it again.