Triumph from NO in Feb

SummerXU

My post is two-fold. I'm looking for general thoughts on Triumph. I've never sailed the Triumph class and am not real certain as to the main similarities/differences between say, the Conquest class.

Also, I've never sailed in Feb and am curious about the weather. Since it's only a 5 day cruise, we have to eek out all the sun and pool time we can. Obviously weather will vary, but for those of you who have done New Orleans in January or February, will it be warm enough to lay out on our sea days? (Itinerary is NO, sea day, Cozumel, Progreso, sea day, NO.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May be a little cool for part of the first day. It's a great time to cruise. Temps in Mexico will be ok. Good time, if interested, to see the Uxmal ruins out of the port of Progresso. Temp maybe mid 70s to low 80s. Too hot in the May to Sept. months.:) Just my opinion. Great sailing down the Miss. river.:)

It may be freezing cold on the first and last sea days.

Somewhere I have photos of us sitting on deck wearing parkas, scarves and gloves, but there was sun and it was fun.

It is a good time to visit the sauna or take a nap.:)

Or it may not be cold.

Still, you may want to bring your coat.

We were all glad to have ours.

Edited by mzloolue

It may depend on what part of feb. I sailed at the end of February and it was like spring. I'm looking at cruising a couple weeks earlier next year so I'd be interested in what mid-feb is like.

Edited by Saint Greg

Well I can say with the 50 plus years I've been in south Louisiana there's no way possible to predict February temps. I've seen teens (very few times) to almost 80°. Normally we hang in the 60's but it only takes one good cold front and it could get in the 30's. I'd just get the forecast the week before the cruise to see what you are in for.

We've sailed out of NO the last week of February and the first and last sea days were VERY windy and cool; hardly anyone was outdoors. We also had pretty rough seas on the seas days. However, the weather in the ports was worth the ride - sunny and temperatures were perfect.

Last year we sailed in December from NO and temperature was HOT during embarkation and debarkation and the sea days were very nice. We are sailing Carnival and Triumph for the first time this December, so hoping for more of the same weather.

Edited by aliciam

The Triumph and Victory are the same size. Although slightly smaller than the Conquest class, the layout is about the same.

As for the weather down here, Jan and Feb are usually the coldest months of the year, but I'm sure it won't be bad out in the Gulf for the sea days.

For us, the weather is great in Jan/Feb for cruising. Were from Denver so 60 degrees is flip flop weather!

If you are flying and staying in hotels, you might want to check into when Mardi Gras is for the year you are cruising. Next year it's FEB 28th so that whole weekend before and the week of is just crazy with crowds and prices.

If you want to plan ahead with money and time/embrace Mardi Gras like us, its fun to begin your trip with Mardi Gras then get on a boat!

We cruised out of NY last February. Everyone was in shorts the first morning at sea. The weather in the Bahamas was 80's and the water temp was probably in the low 70's. I think out of NO and in Mexico, barring some abnormal weather system, you will have great weather and temperatures.