Cigarette purchases and Customs

Missileer

Some time a go there was a post about being "invited" to visit with Customs the morning of debarkation if you had purchased more than one carton of smokes per person. It was on an East coast sailing. Have heard nothing since and was wondering if anyone has had this experience. If so what was the result? Am especially interested in West coast sailings.

Thanks.

The ship does send its onboard purchase list to CBP. Always best to declare. Sometimes it costs more to process a duty than the amount of the duty. Example Friends have purchased 6 bottles of coffee Sheridan's several times. Only once have they been levied the duty tax. All out of Long Beach.

Even with the duty tax, would the cigs be less than at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

They pretty much open up the time on debarkation morning for those that wish to go and self-report their purchases. A lot of times, if you go see the Customs folks and have a paltry amount of merchandise over the limits (cigs, booze, etc), they'll give you a free pass.

If you are coming back from the Caribbean, you can take back 5 cartons per person.

Customs really isn't concerned if it's for personal consumption and not for sale.

Been doing this for 40 years! never a problem.

If you are coming back from the Caribbean, you can take back 5 cartons per person.

Customs really isn't concerned if it's for personal consumption and not for sale.

Been doing this for 40 years! never a problem.

i think that is coming back from st thomas and they were purchased in st thomas. as per the custom form, only 1 cartoon per person age 21 years and old can be brought in duty free but it's up to the customs agent as to whether they charge you duty on anything over the duty free allowance.

i think that is coming back from st thomas and they were purchased in st thomas. as per the custom form, only 1 cartoon per person age 21 years and old can be brought in duty free but it's up to the customs agent as to whether they charge you duty on anything over the duty free allowance.

Yes, that's correct as far as St. Thomas. If you come back from Canada, Bermuda or Bahamas, it's 1 carton per person.

Roughly, how much is a carton of Marlboro's from duty free. Last time I cruised, I didn't smoke so never paid attention to the prices. Is it cheaper to get them there?

Marlboro cartons were $33 each on the ship and $28 in St. Thomas.

This was on Sunshine two weeks ago.

The increased allowances on cigs apply in both St. Thomas and San Juan.

There are also increased allowances for liquor, but I don't know the specifics offhand. The folks in the ship's store will know the answer.

Have fun!

Wendy

The extra tariff actually applies to additional bottles of alcohol. You can bring more bottles home but they charge a tax, although it's small, to the price of what you purchased. Cigarettes and cigars however are "supposed to be" one per adult, period, but as we know they generally don't care if you have an extra carton or two.