State issue travel warning for mexico

Summer23

I live near the border with Mexico here in San Diego and have not seen/heard any specific new problems since people here go back and forth across the border every day.

Not sure how anything has changed?? The story linked above does state that most problems have been at night and between rival gangs.

Sometimes innocent people get caught in the cross fire but most cruise stops are in the daytime and I have not seen any reports of daytime tourist problems.

Mexico has always had travel warnings. My hubby has been all over the world; Mexico, Ecuador, Africa, Europe and the only place he has ever felt he was in danger was NYC. Like the PP said, stay in groups, be smart.

I too have travel the world , also born , raised and live in NYC..

do you realize it has a very low murder rate crime rate and has been that way for many years now?

The travel warning is about cartel violence spreading to tourist areas ..

Like heads in a cooler , machine guns on a beach in Cabo . Or shootout in Cancun..

when was the last time you saw or heard of heads in cooler due to a drug war in NYC , or kidnaping from buses ? Not at all like crime you see in the states .. it's warfare...

Thanks for sharing. Sorry you're getting beat up on the Carnival board. Lately I've been following the story of the tainted alcohol being served at very famous Mexican all-inclusive resorts, especially since Carnival offers excursions at some of these name-brands. I've seen multiple major media reports in the U.S. the past few months about tainted alcohol being served at these major name Mexican resorts where U.S. customers have been poisoned and even died. Scary stuff and passengers need to be aware and informed. Of course we all want to enjoy our excursions, but staying informed and making informed decisions is priceless.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/investigations/2017/07/28/amid-more-blackout-reports-mexico-says-take-action-tainted-alcohol-resorts/519101001/

Thanks for sharing. Sorry you're getting beat up on the Carnival board. Lately I've been following the story of the tainted alcohol being served at very famous Mexican all-inclusive resorts, especially since Carnival offers excursions at some of these name-brands. I've seen multiple major media reports in the U.S. the past few months about tainted alcohol being served at these major name Mexican resorts where U.S. customers have been poisoned and even died. Scary stuff and passengers need to be aware and informed. Of course we all want to enjoy our excursions, but staying informed and making informed decisions is priceless.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/investigations/2017/07/28/amid-more-blackout-reports-mexico-says-take-action-tainted-alcohol-resorts/519101001/

Like.... also at one of the higher end all inclusive too .. knockoff / tainted booze is a national issue in Mexico

Thank you very much.You are most kind and I was only wanting to share info that was recently on the news in hopes that it would be informative.

As we have been taught take it with a grain of salt or if it doesn't apply to you then disregard.

[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too have travel the world , also born , raised and live in NYC..

do you realize it has a very low murder rate crime rate and has been that way for many years now?

The travel warning is about cartel violence spreading to tourist areas ..

Like heads in a cooler , machine guns on a beach in Cabo . Or shootout in Cancun..

when was the last time you saw or heard of heads in cooler due to a drug war in NYC , or kidnaping from buses ? Not at all like crime you see in the states .. it's warfare...

Jacksonville has a homicide almost every other day.

Heads in a cooler? That's nothing when you recover a young girl stuffed in a suitcase.

I too have traveled to Paris and many other countries this is not my first rodeo.

No reason to be sarcastic. Take it as a grain of salt or disregard.

Like just keep scrolling .

Have a great cruise

There are legitimate reasons for tourists to be cautious. There are growing turf wars between drug cartels, and crime that is specifically targeting tourists.

There are many cases of robberies, kidnapping and assaults. There have been cases of tourists being assaulted. They are then taken to medical clinics and not allowed to leave until they pay. There are cases of people working at the resorts, the people who assaulted the tourist and the clinic all working together.

And then there is the tainted booze.

You do need to be cautious in mexico. The crime can't be compared to US cities. Especially because some of it is targeting tourists.

There are legitimate reasons for tourists to be cautious. There are growing turf wars between drug cartels, and crime that is specifically targeting tourists.

There are many cases of robberies, kidnapping and assaults. There have been cases of tourists being assaulted. They are then taken to medical clinics and not allowed to leave until they pay. There are cases of people working at the resorts, the people who assaulted the tourist and the clinic all working together.

And then there is the tainted booze.

You do need to be cautious in mexico. The crime can't be compared to US cities. Especially because some of it is targeting tourists.

Thank you for sharing your information .

It is appreciated.

You do need to be cautious in mexico. The crime can't be compared to US cities.
This is an important point. The nature of the obligation that the police have toward protecting the public is different, not because the objective is different but because the execution is different.

Especially because some of it is targeting tourists.
My interest is in the addition of Quintana Roo to the advisory. I haven't found that that is related to violence directed at tourists. Can you mention specific examples of how that has increased in the last year or so, in the area around Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc?

We were in Coz back in April. It was our 2nd time. We rented a jeep as did a few of our other groups did. We met at Coconuts for lunch. I volunteered to drive back to thr port to pick up bro and sis inlaw that did an excursion. On the way back I saw a guy that wrecked a scooter, but the other thing that got me thinking was the empty road and miles of not passing anything or anyone. I definitely travel differently now that I have a family. We get drinks almost everywhere we go. I guess from now on we will just buy a couple bottles from duty-free and brown-bag it!;p

Basically the same as in NYC or any other place...be aware of your surroundings, don't go anywhere sketchy, stay in a group, and have a good time!

Woefully misinformed. Maybe parts of the South Side of Chicago, but NYC has nowhere near the amount of terror you could experience in parts of Mexico.

This is an important point. The nature of the obligation that the police have toward protecting the public is different, not because the objective is different but because the execution is different.

My interest is in the addition of Quintana Roo to the advisory. I haven't found that that is related to violence directed at tourists. Can you mention specific examples of how that has increased in the last year or so, in the area around Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc?

I don't have specific examples. I don't plan on travelling there so I don't follow it closely but I have seen reports on various news sites.

But here is a report from a few years ago about scams relating to clinics

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/01/25/scott-giddy-mexico_n_1232378.html?utm_hp_ref=ca-mexico-violence

Here's one about tainted booze

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/us/mexico-state-department-alcohol-warning/index.html

Another incident at a resort

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/investigations/2017/08/16/blackout-victims-mexico-resorts-have-little-hope-justice/565961001/

I've been searching off and on all day. So far almost all the reports I've found point at Cancun. Also:

In a press release, Marisol Venegas Pérez tourism secretary of Quintana Roo, rejected the regional travel warning saying that it was not a restriction, but only a travel recommendation adding, “In Cozumel we have not had any increase in homicides, so it is important for US State Department to rectify the information that includes the island.
https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/cozumel-says-they-should-be-exempt-from-us-travel-warning/2017.html

In Quintana Roo, the Mexican state that is home to both Cancún and Playa del Carmen, the government has recorded 134 homicides this year, which is nearly equal to the 165 the state saw in the entirety of 2016. The Benito Juárez municipality, which includes Cancún, has already surpassed last year’s homicide total of 89 when it ended June with 95 murders and in nearby Solidaridad has registered 21 slaying through June, closing in on last year’s total of 26. In Los Cabos, homicides in the famed beach area are up 400 percent this year.