HAL Photo Package Questions

JimAOk1945

I spent a lot of time doing research but could not find a current thread. I also did a search on the HAL website and couldn’t find the answers I’m looking for. But, I know the seasoned cruisers on the HAL board will be helpful.

This is our first HAL cruise. My wife and I are looking forward to celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary while we are on the 14 day Alaska itinerary on the Maasdam.

Our previous cruises were on Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. There were photo packages available which included all the photos taken during the cruise and a CD. The packages included pictures such as embarkation, each port stop, formal nights both at dinner and individual pictures with backdrops, casual around the ship, etc.

Does HAL have anything like this? If so, does anyone know the cost? We don't usually buy a lot of pictures on our cruises, but this is a special occasion.

Thanks

We have sailed HAL once about a year ago. It was for my Uncles wedding, and they bought the "all inclusive" or unlimited type package for obvious reasons. I don't remember the cost but I believe it included both professional and casual shots (HAL calls the shots in the MDR and on the gangway casual IIRC).

We bought a package of 5 professional shots (digitals on a CD) for about $150 for ourselves.

Note that you may be charged extra for group shots over a certain number of people (i.e. more than 4 people), though in our experience they waved the surcharge.

Happy anniversary cruise!

I spent a lot of time doing research but could not find a current thread. I also did a search on the HAL website and couldn’t find the answers I’m looking for. But, I know the seasoned cruisers on the HAL board will be helpful.

This is our first HAL cruise. My wife and I are looking forward to celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary while we are on the 14 day Alaska itinerary on the Maasdam.

Our previous cruises were on Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. There were photo packages available which included all the photos taken during the cruise and a CD. The packages included pictures such as embarkation, each port stop, formal nights both at dinner and individual pictures with backdrops, casual around the ship, etc.

Does HAL have anything like this? If so, does anyone know the cost? We don't usually buy a lot of pictures on our cruises, but this is a special occasion.

Thanks

There are usually different Photo packages advertised at the Photo Gallery. On one of our first cruises we purchased a package that included all the casual and Formal night photos. We received all the prints as well as the digital files. These packages can range in cost from a couple hundred $ and up (3, 4, 5 hundred $ depending on length of cruise).

Go to the Photo Gallery when you get on board and see what they are offering. Make sure you have the embarkation photos taken the first day so you don't miss out on any photos for your package.

We were on the ms Statendam's final 14-day Alaska cruise last year. We purchased a small photo package beforehand online and used that as credit toward upgrading onboard. Packages available in the photo shop were:

$99.95 any 5 activity photos plus digital files.

$199.95 ALL your CANDID photos taken this cruise. We upgraded to this one, which included no formal portraits. We could have paid extra for digital files.

$199.95 any 5 portrait photos plus digital files.

$299.95 All your portrait photos taken this cruise.

$349.95 ALL your photos taken during this cruise.

$449.95 ALL your photos plus digital files.

Congratulations! You have booked a marvelous cruise to celebrate your 50th.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

Devinlad, shrimpboat123, bcummin

Thanks for your quick responses and wonderful information. I knew I could rely on the HAL community. You have answered my questions and given me the information I needed. The prices are rather high, but this is a very special event for us.

Thanks also for the good wishes. Happy sailing to all of you. Cruising is a wonderful way to travel!

I would welcome any other remarks about photo packages, or tips and personal experiences with the HAL photographers that anyone wishes to share.

For example, on Gala Night there are probably long lines of people waiting for pictures to be taken. Am I correct in thinking the lines may be shorter early in the evening?

Edited by JimAOk1945

I would welcome any other remarks about photo packages, or tips and personal experiences with the HAL photographers that anyone wishes to share.

For example, on Gala Night there are probably long lines of people waiting for pictures to be taken. Am I correct in thinking the lines may be shorter early in the evening?

We always take the Gala Night photos and have never had to wait more than one couple for our turn. Usually, the photogs are begging people to step up. Also, there seems to be more than one working at a time around different areas of the ship. On our last 12 day Caribbean cruise, our travelling partners bought a package that contained EVERY photo ever taken of them during the cruise. (Including the shore shots). It was $299. It was great because we were in a lot of them too. They also received the release and digital files. Hope this helps.

If you remember to sit side by side at dinner on the gala nights, your formal photos should be nice together. These are not considered portraits which cost extra.

Yes, ask them to print out a photo release for you. I think it is included with the digital photos.

Barbara

We always take the Gala Night photos and have never had to wait more than one couple for our turn. Usually, the photogs are begging people to step up. Also, there seems to be more than one working at a time around different areas of the ship. On our last 12 day Caribbean cruise, our travelling partners bought a package that contained EVERY photo ever taken of them during the cruise. (Including the shore shots). It was $299. It was great because we were in a lot of them too. They also received the release and digital files. Hope this helps.

This is wonderful information. It's good to know there will be more than one photographer taking pictures, and that the line on Gala Night may not be as long as I anticipate. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my question.

If you remember to sit side by side at dinner on the gala nights, your formal photos should be nice together. These are not considered portraits which cost extra.

Yes, ask them to print out a photo release for you. I think it is included with the digital photos.

Barbara

What a wonderful tip! We will definitely do this. It's also nice to know these are not considered portraits. Thanks for taking the time to post this information.

I believe there were several photographers on our Eurodam cruise last year. They were scattered about Decks 1, 2 and 3 on formal night taking portraits for everyone. Then, a couple of them did rounds in the MDR and restaurants for candids during dinner seatings.

I would suggest going to at least 2 or 3 photographers on formal night for some portraits to get a variety. Also, consider the green screen one as they can change up the backdrop if you want a different one.

They will have prints in the gallery by the next evening which cost you nothing to have a look at. If you like them, then you can decide which and how many to buy and whether a package suits you.

We made our picks on the last full day so we knew all our options (note it will probably be busy later on that day as many people will do the same).

Cheers!

On our Noordam TransAtlantic two years ago, we bought the all-inclusive package ... all photos taken printed, as well as put on a cd or dvd. We came home with quite a collection. :):)

I only wish we'd decided to do it right away instead of waiting a few days to buy it. We would have posed for more photos during the early part of the cruise.:(

It was just $399 for the whole two weeks.:D

Cheers!

I believe there were several photographers on our Eurodam cruise last year. They were scattered about Decks 1, 2 and 3 on formal night taking portraits for everyone. Then, a couple of them did rounds in the MDR and restaurants for candids during dinner seatings.

I would suggest going to at least 2 or 3 photographers on formal night for some portraits to get a variety. Also, consider the green screen one as they can change up the backdrop if you want a different one.

They will have prints in the gallery by the next evening which cost you nothing to have a look at. If you like them, then you can decide which and how many to buy and whether a package suits you.

We made our picks on the last full day so we knew all our options (note it will probably be busy later on that day as many people will do the same).

Cheers!

Wonderful information! The green screen sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that on any of our previous cruises. Thanks!

On our Noordam TransAtlantic two years ago, we bought the all-inclusive package ... all photos taken printed, as well as put on a cd or dvd. We came home with quite a collection. :):)

I only wish we'd decided to do it right away instead of waiting a few days to buy it. We would have posed for more photos during the early part of the cruise.:(

It was just $399 for the whole two weeks.:D

Cheers!

We will keep this in mind and pose for as many pictures as possible throughout our 14 day cruise. Thanks!

We will keep this in mind and pose for as many pictures as possible throughout our 14 day cruise. Thanks!

I think the package can be purchased right away and if you do that, each time you find yourselves on the photo wall, you have them add each photo to your "folder" or take it with you. I am not sure exactly how that works because we didn't do it until half way through.

At that time we scoured the photo displays for our pictures. We also made a project out of going from background to background on formal nights to add to our collection getting close-ups, full-length photos, individual pictures as well as posing as a couple. We also got our table photos and one with the Captain.

Just be sure to have your pictures taken at every opportunity, including getting off at each port.:D

We surely got the most for our $399. Have fun!

Cheers!

We also made a project out of going from background to background on formal nights to add to our collection getting close-ups, full-length photos, individual pictures as well as posing as a couple. We also got our table photos and one with the Captain.

Just be sure to have your pictures taken at every opportunity, including getting off at each port.:D

We surely got the most for our $399. Have fun!

Cheers!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post so many details. I never would have thought about the different types of poses.

Question: Can I specify that I want both close-ups and full length photos or is this something the photographers do for everyone?

Thanks so much for taking the time to post so many details. I never would have thought about the different types of poses.

Question: Can I specify that I want both close-ups and full length photos or is this something the photographers do for everyone?

You're welcome!:)

On formal nights when there are several photographers working, one at the top of the Atrium stairs, one at the bottom, etc etc. ... you can get in line for each. As they work with you, they are trying to get a photo you will buy so they are quite happy (depending on how long their line is) to take different poses. And, they are using digital so added poses cost them nothing (other than time). They were happy to take individual and couple poses AND close-up and full length. One photographer even brought in a fancy chair for DW to sit while I stood behind. Quite formal.:D:D

We picked those who were not too busy or (because we ate early) we found during the late dinner seating that they weren't as busy and had lots of time for us. Just make it fun and enjoy yourself.

Once you get all the photos, you can always just toss the ones you don't like.;)

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Just make it fun and enjoy yourself. Once you get all the photos, you can always just toss the ones you don't like.;)

Cheers!

AZNative,

You are a treasure trove of information. I am very grateful that you have taken the time to answer my questions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kindness. Thanks a million!