Suites on Silver Explorer Deck 7

machotspur

I have a query that I am hoping that those with experience of Silver Explorer may be able to help with. (We have sailed on Explorer previously but our memory is not helping answer the question !).

The uppermost deck – Deck 7 – contains 6 suites :-

2 x Owners

2 x Medallion

2 x Grand

At the point where the staircase and elevator goes up to Deck 7 there is a doorway to a forward outside deck, in front of the two Grand Suites 700 & 701.

Is this area of deck accessible to all, or is it for the sole use of specific suites on Deck 7 ?

If it was open to all then this could be intrusive to those in 700/701 as the bedroom windows face on to the deck.

Thank you to anyone with a better memory than I !!

We have spent two months in the Medallion suites on the Explorer. If we are sailing warmer waters we like the bigger balcony a medallion has, so we have done two trips of a month each upon deck 7. The deck between 700 and 701 is accessible by anyone, but in fact very few people are aware it is there. I have only seen a couple of people out there, it is not very big and couldn't hold that many people anyway ! But you can see into those suites from that deck area.

We have spent two months in the Medallion suites on the Explorer. If we are sailing warmer waters we like the bigger balcony a medallion has, so we have done two trips of a month each upon deck 7. The deck between 700 and 701 is accessible by anyone, but in fact very few people are aware it is there. I have only seen a couple of people out there, it is not very big and couldn't hold that many people anyway ! But you can see into those suites from that deck area.

rojaan19 - thanks so much for the insight which is very much what were were looking for. We are considering the itinerary you took in March 2013 - Cape Town to Accra - and were concerned about the privacy of the forward facing windows in the Grand Suites 700 & 701. Like you we would value the larger balcony space on a warmer weather itinerary such as this so will probably choose either the Owners or Medallion.

Thank you again for assisting with our decision.

Shhhh.. It is a secret -- great photo place, near the "secret" elevator.

rojaan19 - thanks so much for the insight which is very much what were were looking for. We are considering the itinerary you took in March 2013 - Cape Town to Accra - and were concerned about the privacy of the forward facing windows in the Grand Suites 700 & 701. Like you we would value the larger balcony space on a warmer weather itinerary such as this so will probably choose either the Owners or Medallion.

Thank you again for assisting with our decision.

That is a great trip ! We were on the first one they did, Conrad was on board. Unless you really need a bath of the owners suite ( and it is a great bathroom ) the medallion is a good suite for this trip. You are very busy with excursions basically every day, so you don't spend a lot of time in your cabin.

The dinner in the desert is a lovely night - make sure you take some $$ to buy the choirs CD ;) You will be visiting a lot of small villages along the way, so take school supplies, second hand childrens clothing if you have access to it, and tennis balls. :eek: They collect it all on board and share / distribute it along the way. Do not give lollies/sweets to the children. My husband (drron) did a trip report of this cruise on here - so if you search you should be able to find it !

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer if I can !

That is a great trip ! We were on the first one they did, Conrad was on board. Unless you really need a bath of the owners suite ( and it is a great bathroom ) the medallion is a good suite for this trip. You are very busy with excursions basically every day, so you don't spend a lot of time in your cabin.

The dinner in the desert is a lovely night - make sure you take some $$ to buy the choirs CD ;) You will be visiting a lot of small villages along the way, so take school supplies, second hand childrens clothing if you have access to it, and tennis balls. :eek: They collect it all on board and share / distribute it along the way. Do not give lollies/sweets to the children. My husband (drron) did a trip report of this cruise on here - so if you search you should be able to find it !

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer if I can !

rojaan19 - thank you again for your valuable advice. Whilst I remember the blog from when it was originally posted it is good to be reminded - it's a great resource thank you.

We are unlikely to be visiting western Africa on a land trip so this cruise is a great way to get a taster.

Regarding the opening part of your blog. We too visited KwaZulu-Natal this time last year (I am interested in the Zulu & Boer wars). The time we spent at Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift was very memorable.

Hey Machotspur I noticed you are from the Cotswolds - we are currently driving around Cornwall and Devon !

We visit Devon & Cornwall a lot. If you are in South Devon the coast from Dartmouth down to Kingsbridge is pretty, with great walks. (I've been visiting the area for >50 years !). If you are visiting near there let me know and i'll tell you a few stories !