Hotel Recommendations for Boutique Hotels in Venice near San Marco

SnoBirdCruiser

Could I have recommendations for hotels in or near San Marco in Venice.

We have only stayed in Venice once and stayed at the Concordia Hotel, nice but looking for a change.

Thinking of The Bauer or the Monaco-Grand Canal might be nice(we love their restaurant on the Grand Canal, best seafood dinner we have eaten.

Cheers, Pat.

In January last year we stayed four nights at Ca'Sagredo, a member of the Small Luxury Hotel of the World. We didn't want to stay at any of the conventional 'palace' hotels which are mostly owned by US chains like Starwood and Westin. We couldn;t really justify the prices charged by Venice's finest hotel, the Aman Canal Grande.

We adored the Ca'Sagredo. It is right on the Grand Canal, with a terrace restaurant, just beyond the Rialto, dead opposite the fish market, and you can walk to the PSM in 10-15 minutes. Hotels near the PSM like the Gritti and Danieli, can be noisy and crowded. The Ca'Sagredo is a very relaxed four-star, an old palazzo with some rooms enjoying all the period decor and others a more traditional style. It really was a superb hotel and here's a photo of the main staircase - just like home!

16248518637_97c5e0c567_c.jpgVenice, Italy by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

Edited by Fletcher

We just recently stayed at the JW Marriott which is on its own island across the lagoon.

It's a lovely place and there are shuttle boats to and from SM, of course they are gratis.

It's nice to be away from the crowds and then immerse yourself at will.

I believe it closes in winter.

I posted some photos early on in my trip report on serenissima.

We LOVE the Hotel Londra Palace. It is a small hotel--it used to be part of Small Luxury Hotels, but now it is Relais & Chateaux. As you face the Danieli from the Canal, it is just to the right. The rooms are lovely jewel boxes with views of the Grand Canal. It is steps from the San Zaccharia vap stop, which is DIRECTLY in front of the hotel. Your luggage leaves the front door and you walk across to the stop. The breakfast is wonderful; the outdoor dining is lovely; the service is fabulous and they supposedly have the best Bellini and Spritz in Venice. We didn't try the Bellini but the Spritz was great. Granted, it is not a flashy hotel...the lobby is quite understated. But the rooms are well-appointed, it is a convenient location, and the food is great. You can dine outside and watch the world go by.

We have stayed there 3x and can't wait to return. It may be too small for some, but we like the size, especially amidst the hustle and bustle of Venice. It is a little oasis.

Hi Pat,

We just returned from the BauerS...the capital S indicating their plural offerings...so depending on how 'boutique' you want to be, you could do Il Palazzo or across the canal, their new,small spa hotel. I do love the Bauer terrace for canal watching and the breakfast. Do not love the restaurant.