Celebrity Eclipse - wifi question

WaveMeister

Hi,

We're booked on the Eclipse sailing from Southampton on 17th Sept. Any advice please for using wifi on board that doesn't involve the extortionate daily charge? I want to take my Macbook and log in for around 30 mins per day without breaking the bank ;p

Thanks

You need to sign up for WiFi. No other choice while on the ship. When you stop at each port,look for free WiFi spots. Easy to find. There will be lots of others there too.

While the internet package seems expensive,remember that the service is much slower than land-based Wifi so everything takes longer. If you really do need the internet for purposes other than pleasure,then you will just have to bite the bullet and pay for the package that they offer.

OK thanks, that's what I thought anyway :(.

I'm surprised that Celebrity don't offer something economical for pleasure users....free advertising after all if a large number of passengers are posting photos and/or doing check-ins on social media.

If you ask your room attendant or any member of bar staff they will be able to tell you which bars, cafes, areas are best for free wifi at each port.

We do enjoy our wifi and tend to book a package which includes unlimited. Remember if you book one package you can share it with your companion, you just can't both be logged in at the same time....Perhaps this would work for you.

Also if you have certain Captains Club status you can get some free minutes or package discounts.

Hi,

We're booked on the Eclipse sailing from Southampton on 17th Sept. Any advice please for using wifi on board that doesn't involve the extortionate daily charge? I want to take my Macbook and log in for around 30 mins per day without breaking the bank ;p

Thanks

Since it will will probably take 60 minutes for your normal 30 minutes a day the best option might be the unlimited package. It would certainly be the most relaxing carefree option.

Even if you used land base options at the various ports you would still need to pay for the hour of usage on other days. Given the possibility of poor quality at times IMO it would risky to pay as you go for that kind of usage.

My bottom line recommendation is to buy one unlimited internet package for use on multiple devices one at a time and enjoy your cruise.

A note of caution when using WiFi at cafes (and on the ship)... Make sure your don't use sensitive (financial) sites and that your passwords that are used while at remote places are NOTHING like your financial passwords. It is far too easy to sit and "bug" (hack) a free WiFi site. Don't get me wrong, I use them. But I use a VPN (and firewall) as well as very limited browsing when I travel. Just be careful... Although phones and PC/Mac software has gotten better, these sorts of things are still too easy.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/08/08/how-to-stop-hackers-from-stealing-your-information-on-public-wi-fi/#.tnw_wdAaRhOR