Alaska questions

LynnRuns

Getting ready for our first Regent cruise (and first ever cruise). I have been reading to try and understand what to expect but I have a few questions:

1. On Hubbard Glacier day, I read somewhere that we should order room service so we can watch the view from our verandah. I also read that we should go to a special viewing area. What is the best way to manage the day? (I am an early riser, my family not so much).

2. We reserved the Chilkoot Hike and Raft Float in Skagway but are waitlisted for rock climbing. Is the hike a real hike is it more of walk? We are a very athletic family so enjoy physcial activity (and challenges). Does anyone have experience with both?

3. In Juneau we are doing the Adventure Guides' Choice hike which will be 4-6 miles. For those who have experience, will this allow a good viewing of Mendenhall? Do you have any time at all to walk around the town given the length of the hike? (I have actually been to Mendenhall 20 years ago on a work trip when I was very early in my career and working at Pepsi but my famiy has not).

4. Assuming we could even get into Tracey Arm - should we do the boat excursion? I have been inclined not to but will we have good viewing from the ship?

5. It appears very hard to do more than 1 excursion a day, it seems that most just miss the 90 minute buffer. Have others done more than 1?

6. If doing excursions do you have much time to actually explore the ports?

7. We have latish specialty dining times, how easy will it be to move them to an earlier time once we board?

8. How cold are the common areas - it is very air conditioned? Should I bring extra sweaters/pashminas? (I tend to get cold).

That is it for now, but I am sure I will have more!

Thanks!

Lynn

A definite yes regarding sweaters and pashminas. While I love the air conditioned comfort of the ships, many people feel cold.

Regarding Tracy Arm, our preference is to view it from the ship. It seems that viewing it from the height of the ship is better than on a boat. There should be no difficulty getting into Tracy Arm at this time of year. The "iffy" times are in May and sometimes early June.

Even if you could do two excursions a day, it is likely that you will wear yourself out after a couple of days and not have time to visit the port on foot.

I'm sure that others will post their opinions which may or may not agree with mine. In any case, have a great cruise.

We are often uncomfortably cold in public areas on Regent ships (but love them despite!) To underscore what Travelcat said: Sweaters/pashminas/jackets/scarves are a MUST for folks who get cold easily.

The small boat excursion up Tracy Arm is probably our favorite of any excursion on the Alaska itinerary.

We've now and then been able to manage two excursions in a port. We've also enjoyed just walking around town for a couple of hours, especially ones where there are nice trails, interesting totem parks, etc. (We have no interest in shopping.) It varies how much "extra" time you'll have in each port: Depends on what time your excursion starts, how long it is, etc.

We've loved our two Marner Alaska cruises-- I hope you will too.

Getting ready for our first Regent cruise (and first ever cruise). I have been reading to try and understand what to expect but I have a few questions:

1. On Hubbard Glacier day, I read somewhere that we should order room service so we can watch the view from our verandah. I also read that we should go to a special viewing area. What is the best way to manage the day? (I am an early riser, my family not so much).

2. We reserved the Chilkoot Hike and Raft Float in Skagway but are waitlisted for rock climbing. Is the hike a real hike is it more of walk? We are a very athletic family so enjoy physcial activity (and challenges). Does anyone have experience with both?

3. In Juneau we are doing the Adventure Guides' Choice hike which will be 4-6 miles. For those who have experience, will this allow a good viewing of Mendenhall? Do you have any time at all to walk around the town given the length of the hike? (I have actually been to Mendenhall 20 years ago on a work trip when I was very early in my career and working at Pepsi but my famiy has not).

4. Assuming we could even get into Tracey Arm - should we do the boat excursion? I have been inclined not to but will we have good viewing from the ship?

5. It appears very hard to do more than 1 excursion a day, it seems that most just miss the 90 minute buffer. Have others done more than 1?

6. If doing excursions do you have much time to actually explore the ports?

7. We have latish specialty dining times, how easy will it be to move them to an earlier time once we board?

8. How cold are the common areas - it is very air conditioned? Should I bring extra sweaters/pashminas? (I tend to get cold).

That is it for now, but I am sure I will have more!

Thanks!

Lynn

As far as viewing Hubbard glacier, you will want to be out on deck. That way you can see no matter which direction the ship is pointing. There is no special viewing area for this. I think you are referring to the special event for gold, platinum and titanium passengers which is by invitation only.

We did the Chilkoot trail hike and float trip. We are very active, and while it wasn't a difficult hike, it wasn't super easy either. And the historic significance is there. It was a fun hike, and the float back is very scenic. I also highly recommend signing up for the zip line in Skagway. We did both in one day.

Haven't done the guided hike in Juneau. We hiked up the back of Mt Roberts on our own. A challenging day hike for sure.

If they offer Tracy arm, it is a must do. My favorite ever on any ship. That said, if they substitute Endicott arm, I would not do it again. Very disappointing compared to Tracy arm.

We did two excursions in Skagway and two in Hoonah. We could have done Tracy arm and another excursion in Juneau, but decided to go on our own in the afternoon there.

We had time to explore most of the ports. We had dinner off the ship in Juneau at a fabulous restaurant called Salt. Obviously if you try to do two excursions, you will be limited in extra time for exploring.

I am always cold onboard, so bring a sweater. You may or may not be able to change your dining times once onboard. It is worth a try.

Have a wonderful time!

Regarding dining time is the specialty restaurants, later times seem to be more popular that very early ones. So you should have a chance at changing. Let the Maître D know what you want as soon as possible on the first day. Even if there is nothing then, they will keep your name and let you know if something/someone changes.

j