Dance Music on Divina & questions from an MSC Newbie

bandp407

My DH & I are seasoned cruisers who enjoy a variety of dance music. We are considering the Divina for July 2016 in the Caribbean. I've read that the entertainment ( shows) are great but can anyone tell me about the bands & dancing options on board?

I am also considering the Aurea class. Sounds like a nice "all inclusive" including access to the adults only pool without a charge? Also like the thermal suites option & a private area in the dining room & all drinks. Is it worth it?

Given we have not sailed with MSC before, we would appreciate any information you can share. A bit concerned with July & kids sail free. But with the adults only pool may not be an issue.

Many thanks!

My DH & I are seasoned cruisers who enjoy a variety of dance music. We are considering the Divina for July 2016 in the Caribbean. I've read that the entertainment ( shows) are great but can anyone tell me about the bands & dancing options on board?

I am also considering the Aurea class. Sounds like a nice "all inclusive" including access to the adults only pool without a charge? Also like the thermal suites option & a private area in the dining room & all drinks. Is it worth it?

Given we have not sailed with MSC before, we would appreciate any information you can share. A bit concerned with July & kids sail free. But with the adults only pool may not be an issue.

Many thanks!

You'll find a variety of live music playing throughout the ship at the different clubs and lounges. If you like dance music like we do,,they play great dance and international dance music up at the Galaxy Disco. As far as the "Adults" only,,the "Solarium" or "Top 18" only has a jacuzzi,,no pool unfortunately. There are 2 person sun beds as well as loungers up there,,soft drinks and beer are also available,,sorry,,no liquor. We spent the day up there on our last sailing and maybe counted about a dozen of people up there so you should be able to get away from the masses at the main and Garden pools.:) If you really want a more private or secluded experience, I highly recommend looking into the Yacht Club,,,private pool, 2 private jacuzzi's and just a bit more than an Aurea Suite.

Edited by Mikesa1721

Many thanks!

The "Aurea" experience is now my "experience" of choice on Lirica and Musica class ships., usually in a Balcony suite, which only come with the "Aurea" .

On my recent booking for next year the additional cost of an "Aurea" over a "Fantastica" experience was £17($26) pppn,

If I'd have booked a "Fantastica" experience an Allegrissimo package would have cost £22($34)pppn

So I'm £5($8)pppn better off going "Aurea" as well as having all the extras :- priority boarding, complimentary Bali massage, freedom dining in a exculsive part of the MDR. So IMHO well worth it. a total saving of £140 ($224) for a 14 night trip.

The price differential does vary with the ship and itinerary and dates so it is well worth doing the comparison.

On another booking I have, the "Aurea" is £40pppn more expensive than the "Fantastica" but that is still a good deal as far as I am concerned.

But , if I go on a Fantasia class Ship (which Divina is) Then my preferred choice is the Yacht Club (if i'm quick enough to get one)

As for music there is always a very wide variety of live music on all MSC ships (usually 6 or 7 venues on Fantasia class) though a limited number of dance venues 2 or 3 on most of their ships.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thanks much Mike! I've read about the Yacht Club but thought it much higher priced. Will check again. Their private restaurant gets very good reviews. Very glad to hear about the dance music. Celebrity has cut way back & some of their bands are really so so.

I think the Yacht Club will be quite a bit more money . Thanks for the feedback!

Factor in the cost of the AI package.

When I went on Divina it was CHEAPER to go in the YC rather than than have a B3 plus AI by £50 pp.

It's also an amazing experience that once tried wil be hard not to repeat if you go on her again

I will look into the Yacht Club pricing more closely. You are all making me very curious . The scary part - if you do it once there is no going back. Happened to us on Celebrity .We started with Aqua class & love it .

I will look into the Yacht Club pricing more closely. You are all making me very curious . The scary part - if you do it once there is no going back. Happened to us on Celebrity .We started with Aqua class & love it .

Just keep in mind that drinks are only included in the YC enclave. If you want to enjoy the venues outside of it, you'll have to pay for any drinks you consume.

About the "no going back" bit - having done both YC and balcony cabins outside of YC - I spend all my evenings in the bars and lounges around the ship as the Top Sail Lounge is very quiet and sedate. For me, the best bits of YC are the pool area with its bar and buffet, Top Sail Lounge during the day - again, for the convenience of the buffet - and the dedicated restaurant, more for its ambience than the menus as I'm a picky eater so they're not a major plus for me.

Just keep in mind that drinks are only included in the YC enclave. If you want to enjoy the venues outside of it, you'll have to pay for any drinks you consume.

About the "no going back" bit - having done both YC and balcony cabins outside of YC - I spend all my evenings in the bars and lounges around the ship as the Top Sail Lounge is very quiet and sedate. For me, the best bits of YC are the pool area with its bar and buffet, Top Sail Lounge during the day - again, for the convenience of the buffet - and the dedicated restaurant, more for its ambience than the menus as I'm a picky eater so they're not a major plus for me.

Thanks for clarifying Bea. Yes, I read that for Yacht Club drinks were not available outside of "their" area. Since we love to dance in the various lounges in the evening, it probably would not make sense for us at all. After paying an upcharge for YC and then to spend more for additional drinks does not make a whole lot of sense. Will need to look at the pros & cons of each. As I said earlier for a 7 night Caribbean sailing the cost from what I can see is about $1500 higher than Aurea AI.

Thanks for clarifying Bea. Yes, I read that for Yacht Club drinks were not available outside of "their" area. Since we love to dance in the various lounges in the evening, it probably would not make sense for us at all. After paying an upcharge for YC and then to spend more for additional drinks does not make a whole lot of sense. Will need to look at the pros & cons of each. As I said earlier for a 7 night Caribbean sailing the cost from what I can see is about $1500 higher than Aurea AI.

I think you're right to consider other options. If Aurea is within your budget comfort zone then I'd say that's the way to go - especially as you want to enjoy the nightlife onboard. While YC is a lovely venue, it is much more sedate overall. It's ideal for those who need some peace and quiet for rest and relaxation if they live busy stressful lives and are looking to 'get away from it all'.

I think you're right to consider other options. If Aurea is within your budget comfort zone then I'd say that's the way to go - especially as you want to enjoy the nightlife onboard. While YC is a lovely venue, it is much more sedate overall. It's ideal for those who need some peace and quiet for rest and relaxation if they live busy stressful lives and are looking to 'get away from it all'.

Thanks so very much Bea - you have really giving me a clear understanding of the differences!!

Thanks so very much Bea - you have really giving me a clear understanding of the differences!!

So glad I could help. Hope you can make a decision that works out to a fantastic cruise for you :cool:

I also recommend you check out Mikesa1721's posts around the different threads. He's very informative and knowledgeable about Divina and has a lovely writing style. Also, Skier Pete is great - especially regarding cabin sizes and positions on the ship.

Perfect- will do. Sometimes it's very hard to move away from the lines you know & love. They only reason we are even considering MSC is for hopefully more dancing in the evenings & an elegant atmosphere with good food in the main dining room (??). We too are somewhat fussy on food & eat mainly fish. We try to eat pretty healthy - even on our cruises!! Thanks again Bea!!

We're considering a July 2016 sailing as well Band!! We were thinking of sailing on July 2nd, the overnight in San Juan is a nice change to the original itinerary which is very appealing to us,,although we really like the July 9th itinerary as well,,maybe a b2b!!:D

On our trip there were several locations at night that had various types of music. Some good, some OK. But, because of this, there was a nice variety to choose from, and it was not far to the next location if the music didn't suit you at any particular spot. The lounge in the back (Black and White, if I recall correctly) sometimes had a quite good band, and a big dance floor. One night, the officers and entertainment team were back there dancing with people, and that was a good time (even though I <the DH> am not much of a dancer) Our journey was just prior to the addition of the "experiences" on the bookings, so I cannot speak to that. We have a review that was recently posted at our personal blog below, that has a few pictures of the Divina, which sometimes are hard to come by. Enjoy!

Thanks very much to all! Your information is right on & so helpful!!

One other quick question - we enjoy eating breakfast and lunch outdoors. Is there an outdoor section to the buffet area with tables?

Your are a great bunch - thanks again!

Thanks very much to all! Your information is right on & so helpful!!

One other quick question - we enjoy eating breakfast and lunch outdoors. Is there an outdoor section to the buffet area with tables?

Your are a great bunch - thanks again!

If you walk towards the front of the ship from the buffet area,,there are tables and chairs outside near the Aqua Park where you can eat your meals outdoors.:)

Sometimes it's very hard to move away from the lines you know & love.

I know the feeling - I'm trying out Celebrity next January. I'll have done 10 cruises with MSC in a row by then and am hoping I don't end up spoiling the trip by dwelling on what MSC provides that Celebrity doesn't :rolleyes: I'm doing lots of searching over on the X board so I can learn what to expect so I can look forward to experiencing the difference!

I'm a little concerned now that you've said you're looking for more dancing in the evenings - I see you've sailed with Celebrity. As one who dances all night on MSC trying desperately to burn off the calories from all the wonderful food, I assumed that there would be plenty of music venues on Celebrity where I could do the same.

I don't know what the Entertainment team are like on Divina in the music venues, but they were fantastic on Preziosa (although not so on Fantasia last December) and would barely let me sit down to draw breath - dancing the night away was an understatement! And such fun with it. I hope you'll experience the same on your trip ;)

I know the feeling - I'm trying out Celebrity next January. I'll have done 10 cruises with MSC in a row by then and am hoping I don't end up spoiling the trip by dwelling on what MSC provides that Celebrity doesn't :rolleyes: I'm doing lots of searching over on the X board so I can learn what to expect so I can look forward to experiencing the difference!

I'm a little concerned now that you've said you're looking for more dancing in the evenings - I see you've sailed with Celebrity. As one who dances all night on MSC trying desperately to burn off the calories from all the wonderful food, I assumed that there would be plenty of music venues on Celebrity where I could do the same.

I don't know what the Entertainment team are like on Divina in the music venues, but they were fantastic on Preziosa (although not so on Fantasia last December) and would barely let me sit down to draw breath - dancing the night away was an understatement! And such fun with it. I hope you'll experience the same on your trip ;)

Bea - Agree, sometimes it's difficult to try another line. It's natural to compare. We did the Holland America Eurodam this past March & my DH was very reluctant. Much of what we read had everyone to bed before 10pm & a much older crowd. We are 61 & 71 and that was not the case at all. It was a very mixed crowd very much like Celebrity. They have the BB King Blues Club Band on several of their ships and they were great. Lots of motown & a lot of fun!

Going back to Celebrity - we have sailed 2x on the Reflection & 2x on the Silhouette. Our first Reflection cruise had the best Philipino party band- a great time. We went back the 2nd time & the band was awful. Just a lot of noise & not good dancing music. They chased everyone away & it was a real letdown from our firset cruise. As like any where a lot depends on the band for your music enjoyment. They have really limited the amount of time the bands play & the music is hit or miss. The bands often play in the "Grand Foyer" which is by guest services & a very small dance floor. Other times in the Sky Lounge in the front of the ship which is a lot better. Celebrity is trying to attract a "younger" demographic and with that is changing their music to more current rock - not always good for dancing as we know it. THeir Martini Bar is very popular as a bar but simply has a DJ & not much dancing going on. Apart from the music the ship & cabins are lovely, food very good ( we do Aqua class) and we love the outside area of the buffet for breakfast & lunch. It's an outside area in the back of the ship which is is just so relaxing & beautiful!! Mike mentioned on the Divina the only outside area to the buffet is by the Aqua Park. Does not sound terrific - probably by the kids area??

We are going on the Reflection again in Dec so we shall see what is happening. The Oasis & Allure ( RCCL) are fun too! There is Dazzles & Boleros ( latin club) for dancing & a Jazz club .

I am on the fence about trying the Divina for July of 16. It will be our 30th Anniversary & now without a real option for outdoor breakfast & lunch - especially in July - is a negative for us.

If I can answer any of your Celebrity questions, I would be happy to.

Paula

Thanks for that, Paula.

I have a sense of what you'd be hoping for in terms of eating outside - I remember my very first cruise on Carnival, eating breakfast out on the deck as we sailed up the Mississippi - a memory that has stayed with me. Unfortunately, MSC Fantasia class ships aren't designed to facilitate that (except in YC where there is a small buffet with limited choices on the pool deck). There are tables at the entrance/exit of the buffet towards midships where you can certainly dine and/but they're quite close to the pool area. Also, smoking is allowed on, usually, port side (although maybe not on Divina - it is on her sister ships. That's where my DH smokes with his coffee every morning!)

The back of the buffet is at the stern with terrific vistas of the wake (or port) but indoors, unlike what you've described for X!

Alas, the room service breakfast menu is very limited if you were thinking of that as an option for balcony dining as is the room service menu which has a charge for individual items, unlike X who, I believe, include this. Perhaps Aurea includes it?

I'd hate to think that this might be a real negative for you. The MDR is always open for lunch and can be a very relaxing experience as an alternative. Otherwise, it may not be for you.

However, I haven't been on Divina yet, nor have I sailed in the Caribbean with MSC so I can't definitively speak about it. I'll be doing both in October when sailing on her from Spain to Miami so will have more of an idea then about the onboard experience.

You are right on Bea!!

We are all fortunate to have identified the pros & cons of the various ships we have sailed on & what is most important to us. That combined with the help of our cruise critic friends on these forums, we can help determine if a new cruise line/ ship experience is worth a try!

Oh & the room service option is not for us, so I can't comment on Celebrity's menu. HAL's I hear is excellent. We just love being out on an open deck watching the wake or port!!

Any questions before your Celebrity cruise please let me know.

Sweet dreams until our next cruise!

Paula

November, 2017 was the last I heard.

Thank you for the info. That was what I had heard also but was hoping she would be here sooner. Is she also going to be ported in Miami?

Have a great evening,

Gerry