Avalon alcohol package

rfkeith10

Hi Ray

we were with Avalon in 2012 and will be again this June, I havent seen or heard of an alcohol package being offered, but champagne is included with breakfast, wines with dinner (they were very prompt, our glasses were never empty :-)). We had pre dinner drinks (there was always happy hour 2 for 1 before dinner), plus often went to the lounge after dinner, and our bill tab wasnt alot at all, only around 200- 250 euros and that was a 14 night cruise and for 2 people.

Deb

Hi Ray

we were with Avalon in 2012 and will be again this June, I havent seen or heard of an alcohol package being offered, but champagne is included with breakfast, wines with dinner (they were very prompt, our glasses were never empty :-)). We had pre dinner drinks (there was always happy hour 2 for 1 before dinner), plus often went to the lounge after dinner, and our bill tab wasnt alot at all, only around 200- 250 euros and that was a 14 night cruise and for 2 people.

Deb

Deb--Thanks for the info (from half way around the world). I had read that they did offer the package back in 2011 but I had not seen anything more current. It sounds like the bar prices are relatively reasonable.

Hope your upcoming trip is enjoyable.....

Ray

I know that in the past it has been offered. The price is a tad high and both of the people in a cabin must purchase it. Unless you are a very big drinker you should not need it. There is champagne at breakfast that is complimentary. Also there is free-flowing wine at dinner. Happy hour is 2 drinks for the price of 1. If you want to bring along your own wine at dinner there is a small corkage fee.

I am taking my 7th Avalon cruise in August and never thought that I needed a package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know that in the past it has been offered. The price is a tad high and both of the people in a cabin must purchase it. Unless you are a very big drinker you should not need it. There is champagne at breakfast that is complimentary. Also there is free-flowing wine at dinner. Happy hour is 2 drinks for the price of 1. If you want to bring along your own wine at dinner there is a small corkage fee.

I am taking my 7th Avalon cruise in August and never thought that I needed a package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pat---thank you for the response. I guess I need to contact Avalon directly to see what their policy is. It sounds as if there is no reason for such a program, after all.

We are new to river cruising. All of our previous cruises have been ocean type. Having a difficult time in deciding which line to sail with. It sounds like you are a big Avalon supporter....

Ray

Hi Ray,

We used Globus for several land trips and found that their service was outstanding. Since Avalon is part of the Globus family we decided to try their cruises and have been exceptionally pleased with them. I am even doing several itineraries for a second time.

We started planning our Avalon cruise a year ago and the alcohol package was listed in the Clebrations tab. Now that the excursions, etal, have been opened for bookings, that option is not available. Guess from those who have posted here, the package isn't necessary.

"Alcohol Drink Package - 9 Nights

Avalon wants to make it easy for travelers to fully enjoy their cruise without having to worry about a thing. We offer you the option to purchase all your drinks before you leave so that you can board the ship relaxed knowing things are paid for. Just sit back and enjoy your Avalon cruise. Your drink package includes unlimited regional house wine (white, red & rose), unlimited draught beer, unlimited soft drinks and juices, 2 cocktails daily from the lounge cocktail menu, unlimited standard spirits, unlimited espresso and cappuccino and unlimited bottles of mineral water (sparkling or still.) This is in addition to the included beverages offered by Avalon Waterways.

Approximate value: $285 USD per person"

We started planning our Avalon cruise a year ago and the alcohol package was listed in the Clebrations tab. Now that the excursions, etal, have been opened for bookings, that option is not available. Guess from those who have posted here, the package isn't necessary.

"Alcohol Drink Package - 9 Nights

Avalon wants to make it easy for travelers to fully enjoy their cruise without having to worry about a thing. We offer you the option to purchase all your drinks before you leave so that you can board the ship relaxed knowing things are paid for. Just sit back and enjoy your Avalon cruise. Your drink package includes unlimited regional house wine (white, red & rose), unlimited draught beer, unlimited soft drinks and juices, 2 cocktails daily from the lounge cocktail menu, unlimited standard spirits, unlimited espresso and cappuccino and unlimited bottles of mineral water (sparkling or still.) This is in addition to the included beverages offered by Avalon Waterways.

Approximate value: $285 USD per person"

Carole--Thank you for the info and the research you have done. I have emailed Avalon directly asking the question. No response as of yet. Whether or not the package is available won't have a bearing on the decison to book with Avalon Waterways.

Ray

A couple of things I did forget to mention were that beer or soft drinks were also included during dinner if required , thats if you're not a wine drinker (well they were on the cruise that we last took),..at lunch soft drinks were included and you can always bring your own bottle of wine.

I dont believe there were any corkage charges when we sailed with them, we were at a table where a couple brought a couple of bottles of champagne to dinner for their anniversary and they werent charged at all , plus an ice bucket and appropriate glasses were promptly brought to the table.

Plus in the back lounge a large selection of coffee/teas etc are available 24hours a day.

Every day we had 2 fresh bottles of still water placed in our room...replaced during the day if needed as well.

• 2 years later...

I dont believe there were any corkage charges when we sailed with them, we were at a table where a couple brought a couple of bottles of champagne to dinner for their anniversary and they werent charged at all , plus an ice bucket and appropriate glasses were promptly brought to the table.

We often brought our own wines to dinner as we did not care for the quality and variety of what Avalon included. We paid a corkage fee for each bottle and had no problem doing so as it was reasonable and we got to drink good wine.

For us, our bar bill has never been high enough on any river cruise to make purchasing a package appealing. Last month it was under $50 for the entire cruise. That was a wine cruise with AMA and there was rarely a need to buy a drink. Our average tab would be $150-200 for a week.

I notice on the Avalon site that it now seems as if beer & wine are also included with lunch, as well as dinner, and the sparkling wine for breakfast. I am looking at the Rhine cruises Amsterdam to Basel for 2017, so maybe it's different with others?

can you bring onto the ship to keep in your stateroom? for example in rum runners or at port can you buy a bottle and take on ship to your room?

No need for rum runners - there are no restrictions on what you can bring on board and consume in your cabin. We brought Manhattans with us (bottle of bourbon, bottle of our preferred mix of vermouth & bitters) as well as picking up wine & locals beers along the cruise....

As Caviargal noted, there would be a corkage fee on wine if you bring it to the dining room.

Avalon also has a happy hour in the lounge before dinner - half price beer & cocktails (not all, I don't think, but I was drinking the 2euro german wheat beer I liked ;-)

Also, I'm still only seeing wine & beer listed for dinner (with sparkling wine at breakfast) on the Avalon website for European cruises.

beer, and wine (including from the region),with all onboard dinners
http://www.avalonwaterways.com/River-Cruise-Ships/Amenities/

Where are you seeing something else, Daisi?

ETA Now I see it - they're adding it to lunch starting with 2017 cruises - sidebar on this page http://www.avalonwaterways.com/Experience-Avalon/Inspired-Dining/

Edited by Hoyaheel

No need for rum runners - there are no restrictions on what you can bring on board and consume in your cabin. We brought Manhattans with us (bottle of bourbon, bottle of our preferred mix of vermouth & bitters) as well as picking up wine & locals beers along the cruise....

As Caviargal noted, there would be a corkage fee on wine if you bring it to the dining room.

Avalon also has a happy hour in the lounge before dinner - half price beer & cocktails (not all, I don't think, but I was drinking the 2euro german wheat beer I liked ;-)

Also, I'm still only seeing wine & beer listed for dinner (with sparkling wine at breakfast) on the Avalon website for European cruises.

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/River-Cruise-Ships/Amenities/

Where are you seeing something else, Daisi?

ETA Now I see it - they're adding it to lunch starting with 2017 cruises - sidebar on this page http://www.avalonwaterways.com/Experience-Avalon/Inspired-Dining/

Avalon will serve wine and beer at lunch on request only, based on recent information posted on another forum. While included, they do not come around an offer you and guests need to specifically ask.

Edited by caviargal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RF,

Just off the Avalon Passion.

No alcohol packages.

We had most of a bottle of bourbon in our cabin.

There was a 1/2 price happy hour, where we totted up a bill of about 130 Euro for two in 10 days.

Beer and wine is free at dinner.

Hope this helps.

Ira