Vantage River Splendor past or future?

SteveinPhilly

My husband and I are on the Splendor, Budapest to Amsterdam on May 31st. We are staying 2 additional nites in Budapest prior to boarding. This is our first river cruise and looking forward to it. Have you been on the splendor? Would love to know the ins and out of Vantage and the boat.

Thanks, Elaine

My husband and I are on the Splendor, Budapest to Amsterdam on May 31st. We are staying 2 additional nites in Budapest prior to boarding. This is our first river cruise and looking forward to it. Have you been on the splendor? Would love to know the ins and out of Vantage and the boat.

Thanks, Elaine

Hi Elaine!

Actually this is our first River Cruise (Done many Ocean ones) and the priciest for us. A friend couple have used Vantage for at least 8 cruises and were happy. (we got a $100 pp referral fee for using them :)). We caught the Labor Day sale which cut $500 pp off the cruise.

We chose to end in Amsterdam and extend our stay by two days. When I looked at Vantage's hotel and inclusions) it was on'y 2 nights hotel and a half day WALKING tour plus trahnsfers. That was $549 pp.($1098) We were able to have them extend the return air vy 2 nights - they charge $100 pp for the change - and evebn book a fully cancelable room at the same hotel for 2 nights for about $750. I found a similar hotel nearby for $554. for the two nights. Adding the $100 pp change fee we were still $250 less to use for transfers and extra special dinner. (The walking tour wouldn't add much since we spend the last full day in Amsterdam in port with the canal cruise and Rijstmuseum tours.) - Also means we don't have to insure the extra $1098 as the hotel is fully cancelable (worth another $130 for that ;))

We picked this cruise especially for the Tu;lips and we'll keep our fingers crossed as to weather. I've been to Budapest twice before on Land cruises.

I was surprised to see the lack of postings on CC (which I'm a huge fan of) for Vantage. And glad you found this one I started.

Hi Steve,

We have cruised over 40 times, try to stay on Celebrity as we get many perks.

We also received a discount as my friends cruised on the splendor a couple of years ago. I paid the fee to custom our air as they did not have the extension for Budapest. I have made my own hotel reservations and have booked a private guide for 2 days. I wanted to make sure we saw the city without any hassles. We did get a great deal, and received free air from LAX and decided to pay in full to receive their 10% additional discount. Made sure the insurance we purchased did have default, since we had to pay by echeck.

Really excited to stay in Budapest. We didn't extend our trip in Amstrdam, as we have been there a few times.

Elaine🛩

Hi Steve,

We have cruised over 40 times, try to stay on Celebrity as we get many perks.

We also received a discount as my friends cruised on the splendor a couple of years ago. I paid the fee to custom our air as they did not have the extension for Budapest. I have made my own hotel reservations and have booked a private guide for 2 days. I wanted to make sure we saw the city without any hassles. We did get a great deal, and received free air from LAX and decided to pay in full to receive their 10% additional discount. Made sure the insurance we purchased did have default, since we had to pay by echeck.

Really excited to stay in Budapest. We didn't extend our trip in Amstrdam, as we have been there a few times.

Elaine🛩

Hi Elaine - like all deals they change but amount to similar. I love the ads that say 2 for one cruises when NO ONE ever pays the full price. In our case, Vantage offered "free air" two days after we booked but the $500 pp Labor Day sale discount went away. Since our discounted air was about $650 we would have only saved $150 and there were only 2 cabins left in Category C which we wanted. AND, of course there is a fee for CHANGING after the deposit.

I did look at the echeck option but I think, it was down to about 9%. We get 3% Cash on our credit card. So I need to consider this. Not sure how long we have to choose that option.

Sounds like we had same thoughts on extension. Just curious what site you used for booking hotel in Budapest. I found one called Agoda with some great rates. And fully cabncelable.

Steve

The promo we received was "Christmas in July". Received a large amount of money off plus free air.. Air out of LAX runs 1800.00 pp. We've be looking for this itinerary for a year, on Viking, AMA, and Avalon and Vantage, and could not beat this rate.

I first booked my hotel thru Hotels.com, canceled that and now I'm booked with Travelocity. They had a special.. I always book a refundable room as the prices are always changing.

The promo we received was "Christmas in July". Received a large amount of money off plus free air.. Air out of LAX runs 1800.00 pp. We've be looking for this itinerary for a year, on Viking, AMA, and Avalon and Vantage, and could not beat this rate.

I first booked my hotel thru Hotels.com, canceled that and now I'm booked with Travelocity. They had a special.. I always book a refundable room as the prices are always changing.

Sounds like you got a great deal. I can't even imagine flying LA to Europe.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Steve,

Saw your post on the other thread regarding wine. Thanks for,posting as that was my thoughts. We definitely will bring some bottle aboard as i enjoy a glass in the stateroom.

I just CONFIRMED with Vabtage:

I can confirm that we do allow wine & beer from outside vendors to be brought on board the ship.

I have searched the Vantage web site for any information about drink packages or other facilities provided on-board but to no avail. Can anybody point me in the direction of a site that contains information about what we could expect on the ships?

I don't think they have "packages". Also, you are off the ship most every day. But best best is to email them at: customercare@vantagetravel.com

Steve

Just completed a Vantage sailing 2 days ago in Bucharest.

2 gentlemen would sit topside every night with their cigars and plastic containers of booze. When we sailed the Iron Gorge during the afternoon their wives joined them. The containers were clearly labeled w/ their contents, and there were no issues at all. The CD would point out places to buy wine, as well as recommend different types according to the region.

We had the bottle of sparkling wine we had been given for our anniversary. Very enjoyable. Vantage took good care of us, and I would be happy to sail with them again. :)

• 5 months later...

Hi, just looking thru cruise critic tonight and came across your question. We sailed on the Splendor two yrs ago and will be going on it again May 3, in 51 days....Amsterdam to Budapest. We enjoyed the first trip ( tulips) so much that I couldn't wait to do another river cruise. The staff on the Splendor was very friendly and professional. They were always on time docking and leaving on tours. Food was great. My only complaint was the noise in the dining room during dinner. The acoustics are such that it was sometimes hard to carry on a conversation. There is dining area (Captains Club) that is more intimate and quiet that we did go to on occasion.

Rooms are well designed and have everything we needed. They supply soap, shampoo,hairdryer etc so that cuts down on what I need to bring. They are not large but we didn't spend much time in them during the day. I'm hoping we enjoy this trip as much as our first one.

I just CONFIRMED with Vabtage:

I can confirm that we do allow wine & beer from outside vendors to be brought on board the ship.

That's right, but if you bring it to the dining room for a meal or take it into the lounge, they will charge a corkage fee (or they did two years ago).