Cloud Holiday 12/21 Cruise Cape Town RT

CruisinPashmina

I'm back...I hope! Wrote a long review of our excursion to Shakaland, and it disappeared when I tried to preview it before posting. As I have no idea why this happened, I think I should wait until I get home to try again. Very frustrating.

Here's a quick synopsis of my last three outings;

Shakaland is touristland, but beautifully done...loved it.

Hippo Haven boat ride on Lake Lucia was terrific with too many Hippos to count. My son in law called the lake Hippo Soup.

New Years Eve was a lovely evening. Everyone was VERY dressed up.... mega glitter. There was a dinner dance in the Restaurant. The best part, for me, was a predinner stage show...most energetic SS show I've ever seen!

Happy New Year to Everyone🍾🥂🍾

We've had a rough 2 days.

Yesterday we arrived in Mosel Bay early due to a medical emergency with the crew (all OK) but we took forever to find a spot suitable for tendering.

The captain did an amazing job constantly repositioning enabling those who wished to go ashore.

Unfortunately our tour was truly awful. The guide really wasn't up to what the tour was supposed to be and we basically had a guide and driver to drive us between points.

The other group had a wonderful guide and it seemed that they got the tour as described. Ours went something like. "This is the Point. You have 45 minutes free time. There's a cave if you want to walk up." We then proceeded to the museum where he informed us it was self guided. He did do a brief introduction but basically we could have done it all ourselves easily. Thankfully this was the included option and I spent no extra $$. Mossel Bay is very much a summer holiday town and would have been a great option for us to participate in some DIY water sports.

We are now about 4 hours away from Cape Town and I can honestly say this has been one of the best, if not the best, cruises I have ever taken.

It was nice to follow along. Glad that all is OK with the emergency.

We did this route 6 years ago. We also stopped in Mossel Bay but we just went out on our own; the town is tiny and easy to walk. You are right that it's easy to visit independently.

We did the Dias museum with the Caravel ship replica, and afterwards walked to Cape St. Blaize (I think this is the same as the "point" you mention above). There is a lighthouse here to climb, with gorgeous views. The trail leads to a "cave" which is more of a rock overhang where bats hang out. There were a ton of rock hyraxes along the trail which we enjoyed watching.

For the next couple of years after our cruise, SS left Mossel Bay off of this itinerary. Now that it's back, what do you think? Worth the stop? IMO, it was very pretty, but not as much to do compared to the other ports. We enjoyed it as a "rest" day.

Edited by jpalbny

We've had a rough 2 days. Yesterday we arrived in Mosel Bay early due to a medical emergency with the crew (all OK) but we took forever to find a spot suitable for tendering. Unfortunately our tour was truly awful. The guide really wasn't up to what the tour was supposed to be and we basically had a guide and driver to drive us between points. The other group had a wonderful guide and it seemed that they got the tour as described. Ours went something like. "This is the Point. You have 45 minutes free time. I can honestly say this has been one of the best, if not the best, cruises I have ever taken.

Appreciate your updating and that this was one of your best cruises ever!!! Interesting and good questions on Mossel Bay. Our cruise last year did not stop there. Your post makes an excellent point about what a huge different having a great guide can make for maximizing the positive experiences from a tour. Sadly, not all guides are created equal. Have a great, knowledgable guide can make such a positive difference. That's why we like to have private guides that we have picked, if possible. Having a "conversation" with our guide is a key part of our experience for learning and knowing more about where we are visiting, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,084 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Sounds like a good time was had by all! The Wind was livelier than it has been in 2 weeks! [emoji322][emoji323]. I like Shakaland, hokey and all.

Happy 2017 S&J.Pleased the Old favourite Wind is livening up for you,we had similar nothing happening experience on the Wind last summer but that was down to poor quality combination of CD and HD.Fortunately there were some good old SS clients aboard which made for a happy cruise.ENJOY!!

Happy New Year Brimary - hope you are both well - we are giving The Wind another try in June to Norway ( Tower Bridge Round Trip ) with our chicago Friends and are hoping for a better experience than last Year. Are you likely to be on board ?

Hopefully, you'll have Daniel Ilias as your HD on the Wind. He and Colin Brown(CD) really made our TA crossing in Nov. Paolo was always our favorite HD, but Daniel is even better. You won't want for anything with him aboard. Another great one is Ross, the chef.

Edited by dougburns

Happy New Year Brimary - hope you are both well - we are giving The Wind another try in June to Norway ( Tower Bridge Round Trip ) with our chicago Friends and are hoping for a better experience than last Year. Are you likely to be on board ?

I was going to say you have a rare close encounter on your cruise when you depart (Im assuming its the 11 June 2017 one?), but have fallen in that its the previous Wind cruise from Southampton on 31 May that gets the treat.

On Sunday 11 June at approx 15.30, the Wind will pass as she arrives and Silver Cloud departs at about Greenwich. (That is a best guesstimate of where it will happen)

If you get to Tower Bridge a couple of hours early, you will get to see the Cloud depart (as opposed to the passing of the Winds 29 May cruise from Southampton. (And of course the Wind arriving.) Always an emotional sight seeing them.

An awesome thought of seeing of the Wind and Cloud passing by the Greenwich Maritime museum! What a sight that would be!!!

And I thoroughly recommend an Arial view by booking up a trip up the sky garden for wonderful views overlooking either ship going under the bridge or just moored next to the Belfast.

To Book - and the best bit - its free!

Edited by les37b

Happy 2017 to you both..sure the Wind will be okay so long as CD & HD are different from last year.Sorry not to be joining you but hope you and your USA friends have a wonderful cruise to Norway in June.We are going back to our U.K. Favourite Jersey for the month of June.Booked Spirit April to June '18 for a Med cruise.

Sorry that we will not meet up again on The Wind Brimary this Year but will keep our fingers crossed for sometime, somewhere. So, you are transferring to The Spirit, have you been before ? - Have Fun.

Having been an avid small ship supporter of SS since 1999 we are hoping we haven't messed up but the itinerary and timing were perfect in 2018.We are hoping to be pleasantly surprised despite being double the size of our favourites,Wind and Cloud.Have you sampled the Spirit,if so your reliable advice would be welcomed.

• 8 months later...

Mayflower, how was the Muse.We have cancelled our Spirit cruise as Mary had a recent accident resulting in double fracture of ankle.We are looking for something late 2018 or a Tower Bridge return trip on our favourite Wind in 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good Morning Brimary - Please give Mary our fondest love and wish her a speedy recovery.

Unfortunately we too have had to cancel our Muse Cruise at very short notice ( the day before setting off !!!! ) as I had to have an urgent Operation - fortunately the Biopsy was good so am now recovering well and Booking more Cruises !!!!

Our UK & US Friends were on the Muse and had a great time inspite of the vagaries of the Dress Code and Restaurant Reservations. It looks as if Silversea are planning to ' Musify ' all the ships to some degree over the coming months.

We are Planned to take the Spirit for a short Baltic Cruise ( Stockholm to Copenhagen ) with US friends in July and then go to The Muse in September ( Barcelona to Venice ). What about coming along ?

We have signed up for The Spirit in March 2019 ( Barbados to Lisbon ) for hopefully a smooth Transatlantic after a Caribbean.

Our best wishes to you both.

Good Morning Brimary - Please give Mary our fondest love and wish her a speedy recovery.

Unfortunately we too have had to cancel our Muse Cruise at very short notice ( the day before setting off !!!! ) as I had to have an urgent Operation - fortunately the Biopsy was good so am now recovering well and Booking more Cruises !!!!

Our UK & US Friends were on the Muse and had a great time inspite of the vagaries of the Dress Code and Restaurant Reservations. It looks as if Silversea are planning to ' Musify ' all the ships to some degree over the coming months.

We are Planned to take the Spirit for a short Baltic Cruise ( Stockholm to Copenhagen ) with US friends in July and then go to The Muse in September ( Barcelona to Venice ). What about coming along ?

We have signed up for The Spirit in March 2019 ( Barbados to Lisbon ) for hopefully a smooth Transatlantic after a Caribbean.

Our best wishes to you both.

Hi Mayflower,sorry to hear of your medical issues and cruise cancellation.Hope all goes well with your own recovery and we reciprocate your good wishes for a speedy recovery.We have noted your future cruising plans when we start reconsidering ours shortly.Hope somebody up there is on our side and our future problems are only age related and experience!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums