St. P. & Russia: Amazing Facts, etc.!!

TLCOhio

From the London/UK Telegraph travel section yesterday, they have this headline: "59 amazing facts about Russia" with a number of highlights focused on St. Petersburg. The article also notes that later this year marks: "the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Soviet Union"!!

Here is a small sampling for a few that I viewed from our experiences as most interesting: "The Astoria hotel in St Petersburg is where Hitler planned to hold a huge celebratory banquet once he'd conquered the city. The Hermitage is home to around 70 cats, which guard its treasures against rodents. The tradition dates back to a 1745 decree of Empress Elizabeth, the daughter of Peter the Great, founder of St. Petersburg. The museum also has almost 14 miles of marbled corridors. One of the biggest mysteries of the Second World War is the fate of the Amber Room, once located in the Catherine Palace. It was looted by the Germans and brought to Königsberg for reconstruction, but its whereabouts are unknown."

For Russia, here are a few of the more interesting items: "There are around 11 million more women than men in the country. It has more time zones (11) than any other country. The name Red Square has nothing to do with communism, but derives from the word "krasnyi", which once meant "beautiful". In 1908, the Russian Olympic team arrived in London 12 days late because it was still using the Julian calendar. Postnik Yakovlev is best known as the man behind St Basil's Cathedral. Legend has it that Ivan the Terrible blinded him afterwards, so he could never build anything to rival it. The male life expectancy is just 63, lower than it is in North Korea or Iraq. Russian women, on the other hand, can expect to live to 75. Epic is a word that suits Russia. The grand sweep of its history and landscapes fires the imagination like almost no other place."

If visiting Russia for the first time, do some advanced reading about its special history, culture, traditions, etc. All very unique and special!! Below are a few of my photo highlights to reflect a few of these special locations in and around St. Petersburg. What other unique factors, items would you share here about Russia St. Petersburg, etc.??

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/russia/articles/Amazing-facts-about-Russia/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 206,646 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is the Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage. It was restored after the fire of 1837. This white marble staircase is divided into two flights with ten solid columns of granite supporting the vaults of the staircase. Full of light and gleaming with gilding and mirrors, the staircase extends for the whole height of the Winter Palace. The painted ceiling is by 18th-century artist Diziano Gasparo representing the gods of Olympus Olympus. This gives an impression of an additional height to the staircase. The décor of the staircase includes monumental sculptures brought by Peter the Great from Italy. In the 18th century the staircase was known as the Ambassadorial Staircase because the envoys of foreign countries ascended it when going to the palace for official receptions.:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Here is my wife and Cindy examining closely one of the highly-detailed tables in the vast Hermitage collection that includes much more than just paintings and sculptures. The Russian skills and craftsmanship for such details is amazing and must be seen “up close and personal”. You cannot just walk by quickly and appreciate fully the details for their expert workmanship!:

1A-StP-HermitageTableViewing.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

At Catherine's Palace, here is a portion of the spectacular Amber Room when my camera accidentally went off and captured this view. These carved amber beauties were re-recreated after being lost in World War II. This work was based from earlier photographs of the various pieces in this room.:

A-StP-CathPalAmberRm.jpg

The Peter and Paul Cathedral is a Russian Orthodox cathedral located inside the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg. It is the first and oldest landmark, built between 1712 and 1733 on Zayachy Island along the Neva River. Both the cathedral and the fortress were originally built under Peter the Great. The cathedral's bell tower is the world's tallest Orthodox bell tower and is an integral part of the main building. This cathedral is sometimes considered the highest Orthodox Church in the world. Its golden spire reaches a height of 404 feet and features at its top an angel holding a cross. The cathedral was closed in 1919 and turned into a museum in 1924. It is still officially a museum, but religious services resumed in 2000. The cathedral houses the remains of almost all the Russian Emperors and Empresses from Peter the Great to Nicholas II:

1A-StP-PPFortress.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for your post and photos. We visit St. Petersburg next year.

plan09: Thanks Terry

Appreciate these nice follow-ups. For PNW Traveler with your upcoming trip to St. Petersburg' date=' make sure you do lots of reading, research and planning. Why??? The options are so many and great in this town, that you need to prepare by having considered your many potentials carefully and planned on the logistics/flow. Here are some more ideas and tips, plus some added visual "eye candy" to help build the excitement.

Be sure to [b']use the "SEARCH" function[/b] on these boards for each of the various cities/ports you are going to visit. There have been lots of different posts, photos, etc., posted earlier that can help you get a sense of your many options in these ports. Lots to share and learn from previous travels to these great cities of the Baltics. Also grab, maybe from your library or a book transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc., can work well, too. No one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely. These resources, especially the visuals one, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

An honest truth? There are a number of very good to excellent private firms in St. Petersburg. Most people liked their tour and will beat the drums and say theirs are the "best". Of course, they have only tried one and do not have much real sense of "comparison". It is my suggestion to write to four or five of the top firms, tell them exactly what you want, seek and love. (And before doing this step, you might have to do some of your own advance research to determine those priorities.) See what you get back and which one is the "best fit" for your specific personal needs and travel style. Some people are very happy and satisfied with the basic, standard "formula" tour that is offered up. I am NOT a big fan, however, of "one size fits all". Personal choice!!

Others, like us, want things to be a little more custom. In our "planning process", I asked lots of questions (after doing some advance reading and research) and got back many good replies (quickly) from Anastasia that helped me get my arms around the many options in St. Petersburg. Getting your trip "flow" and "pacing" is very important for St. Petersburg. We were super happy with how it all worked in having a great mix for what we saw and how it fit together. Another key factor is their "flexibility". Once in Russia and doing the first day, we asked about a couple of "schedule adjustments" and they got things done in a smooth and excellent manner. One item was a request to stop at a shop to buy a Russian-style military hat and I asked about getting an early admission at the Hermitage to avoid some of the bus/mass crowds at the regular hour. Making things custom and personal was very important to us. Some firms are flexible and very responsive. Others are not that way, nor interested or caring. That degree of custom/personal versus standard/more mass is part of the "choice" process. You need to determine what you want and need.

Clearly, a private, smaller tour is much better than being "forced marched" in a mass of 30-45 people through the Hermitage as the guide barks out the canned script for the various art works you are passing quickly past. We saw those types of ship tours while there and would hate to suffer under that type of less-than-desirable situation.

Just like there are many different sizes, styles and types of shoes, the same is true with private tour companies. We don't all wear and have same types of shoes for all needs, occasions and purposes. Below are a few of my visual samples to get folks prepared for the great glories that are there in St. Petersburg.

Don't be shy! Happy to answer any added questions.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,555 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing and learning more about one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such paintings by this artist existing in the whole world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, lessening the crowd battles and adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place/set of five palaces AND museum. It is both! This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482. The Madonna's tender gaze as she looks at her son, and the tranquillity of the distant mountainous landscape, reflect humanist dreams of Ideal Man and a Harmonious Life. Experts says the painting reveals great beauty in its coloring and composition. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan.:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide from Anastasia, we view this spectacular reception “ballroom”, painted ceiling, gold, etc., at our pace and timing schedule, getting our personal questions answered, etc. This majestic setting requires a little time to “soak it up”.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

Here is a unique angle for the spectacular fountains and water from the Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac. Spilled Blood or the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ was built on the site along a canal where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated in 1881 and its building was dedicated to his memory. Construction began in 1883 and was completed in 1907. This city's architecture is predominantly Baroque and Neoclassical, but this church harkens back to medieval Russian architecture in the spirit of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. The Church contains over 7500 square metres of mosaics, among the most for any church in the world. It suffered much damage during the Russian Revolution and World War II, but was reopened in 1997, after 27 years of restoration. The results are beautiful!!:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Lots of beautiful church towers and buildings are located all over in historic St. Petersburg. Some “riding around time” allows an opportunity to see the variety of buildings in this historic capital. Sampling the great architecture and history in St. Petersburg are two of the big, BIG joys from being there in this charming city.:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

• Like 1

Terry, I was just looking at Anastasia so glad to hear about your experience. I am traveling with my somewhat mobility challenged mom and seeing the Hermitage was on the top of her list. Most tours seem to offer this on the second day which may be hard for her so I am leaning toward a private tour.

Will get through the holidays and really plan out the cruise.

Many thanks again, this isn't the first trip you have helped us with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Terry - thanks as usual for the gorgeous pictures and the fascinating details you always include - so informative! I was interested to hear that you used Anastasia and were happy with them, as I have booked a private tour with them for our August cruise. I thought the price was pretty reasonable for 3 days including the middle day in Moscow, compared to group tours and especially compared to the cruise shore excursion prices! They have been so responsive, including my request to upgrade the train to Moscow to business class so we get hot meals each way. Glad to hear the responsiveness will continue on the tour! I am curious about your early entry to the Hermitage - I had inquired about that and they told me that they find the afternoons are less crowded as many cruise line tours do the early entry. Was your trip a while ago? Maybe things have changed.

Good morning, Terry!

Thank you again for your comments and recommendations. We have booked a private two-day tour with Alla Tour. I studied Russian history in college (many years ago!) and look forward to reading and researching during the next few months. While I enjoy the DK travel book photos, your photos are wonderful and your posts here on CC are much appreciated.

Terry, I was just looking at Anastasia so glad to hear about your experience. I am traveling with my somewhat mobility challenged mom and seeing the Hermitage was on the top of her list. Most tours seem to offer this on the second day which may be hard for her so I am leaning toward a private tour. Will get through the holidays and really plan out the cruise. Many thanks again, this isn't the first trip you have helped us with.

crimlaw@ecentral.com: Hi Terry - thanks as usual for the gorgeous pictures and the fascinating details you always include - so informative! I was interested to hear that you used Anastasia and were happy with them' date=' as I have booked a private tour with them for our August cruise. I thought the price was pretty reasonable for 3 days including the middle day in Moscow, compared to group tours and especially compared to the cruise shore excursion prices! They have been so responsive, including my request to upgrade the train to Moscow to business class so we get hot meals each way. Glad to hear the responsiveness will continue on the tour! I am curious about your early entry to the Hermitage - I had inquired about that and they told me that they find the afternoons are less crowded as many cruise line tours do the early entry. Was your trip a while ago? Maybe things have changed. [/quote']

PNW Traveler: Good morning' date=' Terry! Thank you again for your comments and recommendations. We have booked a private two-day tour with Alla Tour. I studied Russian history in college (many years ago!) and look forward to reading and researching during the next few months. While I enjoy the DK travel book photos, [b']your photos are wonderful [/b]and your posts here on CC are much appreciated.

Appreciate these super nice comments and follow-ups. Glad to be of help!! For plan09, I see that you are a "neighbor" in Central Ohio. Where at? What previous trip did I provide some help? On Anastasia, I did hook her firm up with some friends a couple of years ago and they were very satisfied. As I noted, check out several of the top firms. Be specific!! Tell them your interests, needs, desires, etc. See who is responsive and "gets it" for satisfying your wishes. Don't just be satisfied with "one size fits all" if you want to have and do more, get something better, etc. Keep rolling with the good questions, sharing, etc.

Great for those having three days in St. Petersburg so that you can do the option to Moscow. Will post more later on the Moscow options and why for that part of the Russian "adventure".

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 164,027 views for this posting.

Appreciate these super nice comments and follow-ups. Glad to be of help!! For plan09, I see that you are a "neighbor" in Central Ohio. Where at? What previous trip did I provide some help? On Anastasia, I did hook her firm up with some friends a couple of years ago and they were very satisfied. As I noted, check out several of the top firms. Be specific!! Tell them your interests, needs, desires, etc. See who is responsive and "gets it" for satisfying your wishes. Don't just be satisfied with "one size fits all" if you want to have and do more, get something better, etc. Keep rolling with the good questions, sharing, etc.

Great for those having three days in St. Petersburg so that you can do the option to Moscow. Will post more later on the Moscow options and why for that part of the Russian "adventure".

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 164,027 views for this posting.

Terry,

Sorry for the delay in responding. The holidays have been busy.

I am just northeast of Columbus in New Albany. I think the previous trip was a Mediterranean cruise and you had some beautiful pictures of Barcelona? It could have been a while back for Rome? If I can pin point it I will let you know.

I will be contacting Anastasia after the New Year.

Many thanks again. I wouldn't be able to travel with my mom if not for all the help from this board and people like you. Happy New Year.

Terry, Sorry for the delay in responding. The holidays have been busy. I am just northeast of Columbus in New Albany. I think the previous trip was a Mediterranean cruise and you had some beautiful pictures of Barcelona? It could have been a while back for Rome? If I can pin point it I will let you know. I will be contacting Anastasia after the New Year. Many thanks again. I wouldn't be able to travel with my mom if not for all the help from this board and people like you. Happy New Year.

TGraUk: Thank you Terry. Awesome pictures. I can’t wait to go to St.P. again!

DennStann: Wonderful pictures and great comments' date=' Terry. Thank you. When I look at the Grand Staircase in the Winter Palace, I can’t stop thinking how different it was when it was [b']Christmas and New Year for the Tzars[/b]. With all Grand Dukes’ families with kids coming over for Christmas, kids running around and playing noisy games all over the place, how different it would feel.

Appreciate these nice follow-up and greetings for the New Year to our neighbor in New Albany. Know that area well!! Busy and growing. Let me know with any added questions as you keep researching and planning.

Great points about the times of Tzars, how life was then for their elite friends and family. For those considering Russia, especially if you have three days there in St. Petersburg, doing a day-trip to Moscow should be consider. Below are a few Moscow visuals to help build excitement for that option.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 46,677 views for these postings.

Here is one of the Kremlin Wall Towers in Moscow. It is a defensive wall that surrounds the Kremlin with its recognizable notches and the famed Kremlin towers. The original walls were likely a simple wooden fence with guard towers built in 1156. Between 1485 and 1495 a brigade of Italian architects designed a new defense perimeter. With an outer perimeter of over 7300 feet, the Kremlin appears as a loose triangle. Twenty towers survived to highlight the walls. Built at a different time, the oldest one dates to 1485 while the newest one was built in 1680. Three of the towers, located in the corners, have circular designs.:

1A-Moscow-KremlWallTower.jpg

Walking on the famed Red Square of Moscow can be thrilling!! This square separates the Kremlin, as the former royal citadel and the current official residence for Russia's President, from a historic merchant quarter. Red Square is often considered the central square of Moscow and all of Russia, because Moscow's major streets originate from here. The name Red Square comes neither from the color of the bricks nor from the link between the color red and communism. The name came about because of a Russian word that can mean either "red" or "beautiful". This word, per Wikipedia, has the meaning "beautiful", was originally applied to Saint Basil's Cathedral. Then, later, the meaning was transferred to the nearby square. It is believed that the square acquired its current name in the 17th century. Red Square was the leading stage and trade center for Moscow. Ivan the Great decreed that trade should only be conducted from person to person, but later these rules were relaxed and permanent market buildings began appearing on the square. After a fire in 1547, Ivan the Terrible reorganized the lines of wooden shops on the Eastern side into market lines and part of that transitioned into what is now GUM department store that adjoins this famed square.:

1A-Moscow-RedSq.jpg

This is the interior for Moscow's most historic church, Assumption Cathedral or the Cathedral of the Dormition, inside the Kremlin walls. It is the mother church of Muscovite Russia. The church stands on Cathedral Square and was built in 1475–1479 by the Italian architect Aristotele Fioravanti. It was erected on the spot of an older 14th century cathedral of the same name:

1A-Moscow-KremChurchInterior.jpg

Here is a small sampling of the Kremlin Royal Treasures of the Czars: Eggs & Jewels inside the famed State Armoury in Moscow. One of the oldest museums in Moscow, it was established in 1808 and located within the Kremlin Walls. It originated as the royal arsenal in 1508 during when it was in charge of producing, purchasing and storing weapons, jewelry and various household articles of the Tsars. There are ten Fabergé eggs in the Armoury collection (all Imperial eggs). This is the most Imperial eggs, and the second-most overall Fabergé eggs, owned by a single owner. The Trans-Siberian Railway Egg is a jeweled Easter egg made under the supervision of the Russian jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé in 1900 for Tsar Nicholas II of Russia. It was presented by Nicolas II as an Easter gift to his wife. The exterior of the 1900 Trans-Siberian Railway egg is made of onyx, silver, gold, and quartz, and is decorated with colored vitreous enamel. The lid of the egg is hinged, has an overlay of green enamel, and is decorated with inlaid leaves of acanthus. On top of the lid is a golden three-headed eagle in gold with the Imperial Crown. The interior is lined with velvet. A route map of the Trans-Siberian Railway is engraved in silver across the face, with major stations marked by a precious stone, forming a belt around the egg. The egg is supported by three griffins made of gold-plated silver on a stepped triangular base of white onyx.:

1A-Moscow-KremJewels-Eggs.jpg

The Russian subways are called the “People’s Palaces” with their marble coverings and unique designs for each of the different and many stations. This visual is from Moscow, but you have similar to see in St. Petersburg. Very interesting!!:

SubwayHall.jpg

St. Basil's sits on Red Square and dates back to its 1555-61 construction on the orders of Ivan the Terrible (Ivan IV). It commemorates the capture of Kazan and Astrakhan and marks the geometric center of the city. This location has been the hub of its growth for Moscow since the 14th century. It was the tallest building in Moscow until the completion of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower in 1600. This church was nearly destroyed in the 1930’s when Stalin was in control.:

1A-Moscow-St.jpg

Thank you, Terry. As Russian Orthodox Christmas is yet to come, it is the right time to say that Russian Tzars had their Christmas tree in the Winter palace. Christmas tree was put in the Gold Drawing Room (all walls and vaults in gold – imagine that!), and they didn’t put one Christmas tree in the room but one tree for each of their children.

crimlaw@ecentral.com: Thanks for the great Moscow pictures and as always interesting commentary' date=' Terry! You are so good with those facts about every place - [b']you should write guide books![/b]

Appreciate this added good info from DennStann and the very kind comments from crimlaw@ecentral.com. Glad your tastes and standards are so high and classy!! Yes, doing guide books would be fun, but that involves "real work". Not sure that I need more of "that"??!!

From the London/UK Daily Mail travel section yesterday, they have this overall headline: "ten hottest travel spots for 2017 " with this highlight subhead: "Soak up Russia’s rich history".

Here are some of the highlights cited: "In 2017, Russia will mark 100 years since the Bolshevik Revolution, which overthrew the Tsars and ushered in a new world order. Unrest began in March 1917 in St Petersburg, and Moscow was reinstated as the capital city just a year later. Take in both cities to compare imperial opulence and canals of the former, with the stark Soviet buildings and the preserved leader of the latter. When to go: June and July see long days of warm, sunny weather and plenty of cultural events. August is warm, but slightly quieter."

Here some of my additional pictures from Moscow. Yes, we loved comparing and contrasting these two mega-stars!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4097066/From-Patagonia-Persia-ten-hottest-travel-spots-2017-revealed.html

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 166,050 views for this posting.

Kazan Cathedral sits on the northeast corner of Red Square in Moscow. The current building is a reconstruction of the original church which was destroyed at the direction of Joseph Stalin in 1936. The original church was erected as a shrine in the early 1630s to mark the city's liberation from the Polish aggressors. After the Soviet Union’s fall, this was the first church to be completely rebuilt. The cathedral's restoration (1990–1993) was based on the detailed measurements and photographs of the original church:

KazanCathedral.jpg

Double-Eagle on Top of Kremlin State Palace built in 1961 for Communist Party congresses in Moscow.:

1A-Moscow-DoubleEagle.jpg

Inside the Kremlin’s State Armoury, here are more treasures from the historic period of the Czars:

ArmouryB.jpg

The famed KGB (Secret Police) Headquarters in Moscow where many entered and did not exit (alive) during the 1950’s and 1960’s:

1A-Moscow-KGBHdqBldg.jpg

Young Military Officers on the streets of Moscow with Soviet "High Hat".:

1A-Moscow-MilitOfficers.jpg

One of the 1930’s style building built by Stalin in Moscow:

1A-Moscow-30sSovietTower.jpg

Thanks for the info, Terry. We're Will and Joyce from Austin, TX. We just booked the Aug 11 Royal Caribbean 11 night baltic cruise last week. We have two kids, ages 9 and 11, and both sets of our parents are joining us too. Katherine from Anastasia has been wonderful to work with us to customize our 8 person private tour. The price is incredible -- $148 pp. However, she asked me to pay the full amount up front now. I'm not too comfortable with that, not at all. What was your experience?

I had the same experience with Katherine and Anastasia. We have decided to go with another company. I think that some of the smaller organizations are starting to do this more and more but my group is not comfortable with that. Remember that if they go out of business, there is no recourse nor will you have a Visa when you arrive.

I will be interested in Terry's comments.

Thanks for the info, Terry. We're Will and Joyce from Austin, TX. We just booked the Aug 11 Royal Caribbean 11 night baltic cruise last week. We have two kids, ages 9 and 11, and both sets of our parents are joining us too. Katherine from Anastasia has been wonderful to work with us to customize our 8 person private tour. The price is incredible -- $148 pp. However, she asked me to pay the full amount up front now. I'm not too comfortable with that, not at all. What was your experience?

aquidneck1: I had the same experience with Katherine and Anastasia. We have decided to go with another company. I think that some of the smaller organizations are starting to do this more and more but my group is not comfortable with that. Remember that if they go out of business' date=' there is no recourse nor will you have a Visa when you arrive. I will be i[b']nterested in Terry's comments.[/b]

Appreciate these kind follow-ups and mentions of my name. I am not a representative or agent with any tour agencies, but our experiences in 2008 with Anastasia and others was that you could book in advance. BUT, not pay until when you are Russia. We were happy and surprised with that flexibility. That is not always done, nor often the payment process for others areas of the world, such as South Africa where we were a year ago. .

Maybe that need to pay in advance has changed. Maybe not. I would follow-up with them, tell them what they did for us and others, see what other options are potential, etc. Ask!! Push back a little. See what happens. Follow-up here and keep us posted as to their policies and options.

If you need to pay in advance, I would only do it by credit card. That gives you some added protection and flexibility in certain case. Keep asking good questions and share great info.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 25.316 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Yep, we have to pay up front to get that huge discount. We called our credit card company to make sure it covers any possible loss. Hopefully all goes well.

crimlaw@ecentral.com: I booked with Anastasia for next August and I did pay up front' date=' but I did that because it was a huge discount if I paid by 11/30. [/quote']

Appreciate these updates and this added information. This is kind of what I expected to hear. Paying upfront is not my personal first choice. BUT, if you get a sizable discount, plus having it on your credit card, you have some protection and a serious benefit. Not needing to pay in advance is great for the consumer, but it does leave the business owner/service provider unprotected from those who over-book, scrub at a late date, etc. Understand the trade-offs, etc. Great that you checked with your credit card company. Keep up the smart planning and great questions.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 166,719 views for this posting.

I am curious as to what the credit card company will do. Did they agree to credit you for the entire amount if the company defaulted? I guess that the other concern would be not having plans at the last minute. Maybe I am just too cautious. Spending so much money on the trip and then taking a chance of not having plans to save $100.00(just a guess). Dancing Bears is asking for the money up front as well but only a few months ahead. My guess is that you will be fine and I will not worry. :)

No my discount was far more than $100. It was 40% off the whole amount, so saved me well over $1000. I would worry more about being stuck on the ship with no visa though, than I would about losing the money. I had never thought about that, so now I will just have to wait and hope it's ok. But Terry used them in 2008 I think, so that seems like along track record to me.

We were offered 40% off as well but it was based on a price that was 200 Euros over the 2017 price so it actually came out to be more than the discounted 2017 price. I then asked about that and was told that I could get a special deal and get the 2017 price.

I do not want to take anything away from your deal and the company has great reviews so please go ahead and enjoy. Let us know when you return how it went.

I just want others who might read this to take a look look at the offers and make sure that you will indeed be getting a bargain and that it is worth it to pay ahead. For us, after cost comparison, it was not that much better than what I found with another company that did not require a prepay.

• 1 year later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail today, they have this headline: Moscow's moment: with the World Cup round the corner, Russia's capital is electric with background as Moscow is currently preparing for the World Cup kicking off on June 14.

Here is are some of the story highlights: For months, Moscow has been preparing to welcome visitors to the World Cup at a time when the British and Russian governments are barely speaking to each other. So if you like a touch of tension on your travels, then this is a great year to visit this enthralling city.

Interesting aspects are covered about Russia, the upcoming World Cup, etc., in this profile. Brings back very nice and fun memories from 2008 when we super enjoyed both St. Petersburg and Moscow during our Baltics sailing. Also shared in this story: "As a design aesthetic, Moscow quite likes the Soviet look — retro chic that gives two fingers to the West. The immense Gum department store on Red Square cheerfully displays historic posters praising the nutritious beetroot. A speciality of the Soviet years, Russian salad has made a comeback in restaurants."

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-5797827/Relations-fraught-World-Cup-round-corner-Russias-capital-electric.html

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 39,295 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 10 months later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail yesterday, they had this headline: “The city that's my top BLOCKBUSTER: Jeffrey Archer still says St Petersburg's a real thriller”  with these sub-heads: "St Petersburg is a beautiful ancient city with a friendly, cosmopolitan outlook and a middle-class feel.  The Winter Palace is second only to Versailles in architecture and the Amber Room is a must-see. Hotel Astoria in the centre of the city has a deeply Russian feel to it but is 'familiar and welcoming'." 

Here are some added profile highlights: There's only one downside to visiting St Petersburg. You quickly realise you'll have to return again and again if you want to see everything.  I've visited the Russian city six times over the past 30 years and still feel I've only scraped the surface.  It's a port city, though you're more aware of the beautiful Neva River that sweeps through the centre and its amazing bridges than any docks. I always say to people, don't go to your grave without visiting St Petersburg.  It is quite simply a feast for the eyes and the mind, the sort of place where every minute can be taken up seeing or doing something. It's very different from other parts of Russia.

This profile brings back nice and fun memories.  Among the interesting facts about St. Petersburg cited include: "St Petersburg was founded in 1703, during Russia's Northern War with Sweden, when Tsar Peter the Great decided to build a trading port on the Gulf of Finland as a 'window to Europe'.   The city has been renamed three times - from St Petersburg to Petrograd in 1914; then to Leningrad in 1924; and finally back to St Petersburg in 1991. Locals often refer to it by its nickname, Piter. Because of its location at a river delta on the Neva, St Petersburg has hundreds of bridges, some of which can be raised at night - so do check if you're heading out for the evening that you'll easily be able to get back to your hotel. 
As Leningrad, the city was blockaded by German forces for 872 days from September 1941, leading to the deaths of more than a million civilians."

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travelsupplement/article-6964377/His-latest-books-banned-Russia-Jeffrey-Archer-says-St-Petersburgs-real-thriller.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here are just two of the visuals used to illustrate this article, including from the Peterhof's famed water-features in their gardens and then inside Catherine's Palace decorated in amber panels backed with gold leaf and mirrors.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1232989493_ScreenShot2019-04-28at8_41_06AM.thumb.png.2b7be98e6bba54afd3aff973c6454bf2.png

966932415_ScreenShot2019-04-28at8_42_39AM.thumb.png.e404cd4492af3f18edaa6775d26172dd.png

Here is a picture of this well-known author with his wife at the gardens of the Peterhof.:

1885579000_ScreenShot2019-04-28at8_41_56AM.thumb.png.b820d96ba45ce50c808aaa54439f57b6.png

On 1/11/2017 at 8:09 PM, lepton13 said:

We also booked Anastasia Travel for St. Petersburg, Berlin and Stockholm and we paid full amount up front. There is no need to be suspicious about it.