Baltic Cruise Celebrity v Princess

Looking at a Baltic cruise in June with my parents and wondered which line is best/better? The itineraries are good on either so it's down to cabins, food, entertainment and average age of passengers! I'm early 40's so would like to not be the youngest on the cruise!! Any advice would be gratefully received and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place :)

I could tell you which one I prefer, but that may not help you. The way I determined which line for my Baltics cruise was to compare the TIMES in each port-- I picked HAL. Although the ports are pretty much the same, the times often aren't-- princess was much too short in Stockholm for me. I'm the same age as you and I KNOW I may be the one of the youngest. But I have three overnights instead of the standard one. This isn't how I would choose a Caribbean cruise, but for me, the port times were of most value.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by denatravels

I agree with the above. You need to dig deep into the itinerary.

We did the Baltic cruise on Princess a few years back and it was enjoyable. My son, who was 13, found a few other kids onboard to pal around with. But the Baltic itineraries for some reason seem to skew a bit older (for all lines) than the Med itineraries...

Princess has a bad habit of docking in Nynashamn rather than in Stockholm. I'd check and see if that's the case with your cruise. It's a shame to miss the wonderful sail in to Stockholm through the archipelago.

I could tell you which one I prefer, but that may not help you. The way I determined which line for my Baltics cruise was to compare the TIMES in each port-- I picked HAL. Although the ports are pretty much the same, the times often aren't-- princess was much too short in Stockholm for me. I'm the same age as you and I KNOW I may be the one of the youngest. But I have three overnights instead of the standard one. This isn't how I would choose a Caribbean cruise, but for me, the port times were of most value.

Appreciate this good questions. Super agree with cruisemom42 and above on the strong importance for "digging into the details" for aspects such as exact port times, Stockholm access, etc., etc. In the Baltics, it is so much, totally about the ports!! Especially, if like me and others, you really desire to explore and experience history, culture, architecture, etc. Tell us more on the ports, your times there, your personal interests, etc. Lots of consider.

Celebrity vs. Princess? Both are somewhat comparable. On a port-intensive-cruise, like for this area, the ship offerings and facilities are of some value, but not as vital/important compared to being in other parts of the world. Also, what initial port do you start from and sail back to? That can be important as it impacts your flights, air connections, what you want to do both before and after your cruise.

Keep reading and researching! This is not the Caribbean where you just get off of the ship, walk around, see an old fort, maybe drop by a beach and/or tee-shirt shop, etc. Europe is very, very different, especially if you like the offerings in many of these key Europe cities. Below are a few tour and sight options to help build up your excitement for visiting this part of the world.

St. Petersburg is the "STAR" for this part of the world. Get good private tours, not the too large and generally boring ship tours for this amazing location with such great sights.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,449 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Dancers are shown marching in Tallinn’s festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate during our visit. Tallinn is the capital and largest city of Estonia with a population of 440,000. About a third of the country’s population lives here. Tallinn’s Old Town is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and offers some nice shopping options/values here. There is so much charm, character and history in this somewhat hidden treasure of a town!! Its history goes back to the 1100's and it was an important port for trade between Russia and Scandinavia. In 1285, the city became the northern-most member of the Hanseatic League, a famed trading and military alliance of German-dominated cities.:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Helsinki’s City Hall in the main downtown overlooking the interesting and varied market area that is a must-see for walking around. Helsinki is the capital and largest city of Finland with a metropolitan population of 1.4 million. Ranked as one of the most livable city in the world, Helsinki is also highly ranked as a top design and tech location. During part of its more modern history, Finland was caught in “battles” between Sweden and Russia for control. Helsinki was never a strong, independent Royal city with the depth of architecture and history seen in Stockholm, Copenhagen or St. Petersburg.:

1A-Helsinki-CityHall.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

Here is a unique angle for the spectacular fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Looking at a Baltic cruise in June with my parents and wondered which line is best/better? The itineraries are good on either so it's down to cabins, food, entertainment and average age of passengers! I'm early 40's so would like to not be the youngest on the cruise!!

As previously mentioned, Baltic itineraries tend to host a more mature cruise clientele. If you are not the youngest, you will be among the youngest of the adults. On the cruise I took in 2011, I would estimate the average age to be about 60 years old (with quite a few in their early 70's).

I was in my mid to early 20s when I went solo on a trip to china. The other 4 people in the group were in their 80s. Myself and 3 of the "elders" took a nice hike at the Great Wall-- sometimes age is just a number. People on this trip will likely be active and interesting to chat with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I did the Baltic cruise with Celebrity this past summer. I am in my early 40's as well. I wasn't the youngest onboard but the average crowd was in late 50's early 60's. Don't underestimate them though. My husband and I twice danced the night away with 6 couples we met onboard in their 50's and 60's! Boat was the Silhouette and it was really nice. My cabin was quiet and kept immaculately clean. Food in MDR was excellent and we didn't feel the need to go to any of the specialty restaurants. Entertainment was hit or miss. They had some great singers and performers onboard, but a few nights we did walk out during the show as it was so boring. Whichever you choose, a word of advice, don't do excursions with cruise ship. Way overpriced and crowded. We choice SPB tours for a few stops on cruise and we never had more than 16 people. Do book this itinerary as it will be great, whichever line you choose [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

sometimes age is just a number.

Well said and I couldn't agree more. ;)

Whichever you choose, a word of advice, don't do excursions with cruise ship. Way overpriced and crowded.

I agree - the local providers offer a much better touring experience (and, bonus, you will be in a smaller group and the price will be much more attractive than the price of the ship's excursions). Most of these tour companies are excellent and offer similar itineraries for about the same price. We chose Alla Tours (http://alla-tour.com/) and our tours were excellent. The itinerary for the spb Deluxe Tour is exactly the same as Alla's Grand Tour (Alla first developed the itinerary - the owner of spb previously worked as a guide for Alla before starting her own company).

There are quite a few companies in St. Petersburg with excellent reputations. I would recommend contacting several of the independent tour companies in St. Petersburg to see which best meets your needs and/or seems to be the best "fit" for you.

Not all that interesting - rather commonplace. ;) I believe that quite a few former guides have now formed their own companies - but, as I said, many of the tours offered are so similar (both in price and itineraries) that it makes sense to contact several companies to find the one that is just right for you. Additionally, most of us have experience with only one company so we really can't compare our tour to any other.

Edited by dogs4fun