Question on cruises.......Oz & South Africa

SPacificbound

In all of our travels around the world our #1 location is New Zealand. We spent 3 1/2 months in 2013 in New Zealand and Australia.

Our #2 location is South Africa. We were just there Oct/Nov 2016,

We are planning a return trip to New Zealand and Australia in 2018. I have been trying to find information on cruising from Australia or New Zealand to South Africa. Or South Africa to Australia/New Zealand.

It would be the very top of the bucket list to return to our # 1 and #2 favorite places in the same trip.

I have not been very successful in finding cruises that cruise between the two areas.

Coming from the US it makes more sense to me to return to both in the same trip. I don't want a world cruise since we would be paying to go to many places we have already been.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

It would be quite a long trip. But I am seeing Asia to South Africa itineraries and there are many Australia to Asia itineraries. So unless you choose just to fly from one to another and do a cruise separately, I think you would have to do a b2b routing through an Asia port (Singapore, Dubai, etc).... vacations to go . Com has very custom searches that you may be able to find something on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know QM2 a few years ago did a CapeTown to Perth, or vice versa I can't remember which way. It included Australian ports as a B2B cruise. I think it was part of a world cruise. Maybe check if they might do this again.

Julie

We are planning a return trip to New Zealand and Australia in 2018. I have been trying to find information on cruising from Australia or New Zealand to South Africa. Or South Africa to Australia/New Zealand.

It would be the very top of the bucket list to return to our # 1 and #2 favorite places in the same trip.

I have not been very successful in finding cruises that cruise between the two areas.

Coming from the US it makes more sense to me to return to both in the same trip. I don't want a world cruise since we would be paying to go to many places we have already been.

You're almost certainly going to be looking at world cruises (or the similar long worldwide voyages that don't quite circumnavigate the globe). But you can usually take sectors of a world cruise if you only want to get from one continent to the other.

If this is your plan, don't book anything until you've also worked out how you're going to your air travel. If you end up having to buy a one-way ticket to South Africa and a one-way ticket home from Australia, you might need resuscitation after learning the cost of those.

Since starting this thread I have booked Sydney to Seattle April 2018. It's not cut in stone, just booked it to have something started.

We had already planned to re-visit New Zealand and Australia in 2018. We spent 3 1/2 months in 2013.

Now after getting a taste of South Africa I want more. Since they are closer to each other than either are to the US I would like to combine them somehow in 2018.

I love traveling by ship for long trips, by train for day trips, but I am really not a good long haul flyer. I'm afraid I may have to suck it up and do some flying.

If only MSC did Africa to Australia.

We don't really want to do Cunard. We take Queen Mary 2 for 7 day TA's Southampton to NYC and back, but that it is about as long as we want to be on Cunard.

Good grief, I may have to break down and speak with a travel agent. :)

I love traveling by ship for long trips, by train for day trips, but I am really not a good long haul flyer. I'm afraid I may have to suck it up and do some flying.
If you're based in the US and you don't want to fly, then by the time you've also sailed from the US to Africa and then from Australia to the US you might as well have done a world cruise.

Things get a little more complicated if you want to stay in Africa and/or Australia for a period of time before travelling on, because then you're necessarily looking for different long cruises to do those parts of the trip.

If you're based in the US and you don't want to fly, then by the time you've also sailed from the US to Africa and then from Australia to the US you might as well have done a world cruise.

Things get a little more complicated if you want to stay in Africa and/or Australia for a period of time before travelling on, because then you're necessarily looking for different long cruises to do those parts of the trip.

I now have Cape Town to Fremantle booked on Cunard, so if we stick with this plan we'll just have to fly from US to London, stay a few days, then London to Johannesburg. Get the flying over in the beginning. :)