REALLY last minute bookings

frodo1

My wife and I have done a couple of Rhine/Danube river cruises. We did AMS-BUD last year and could be interested in doing another (different) cruise if the price was right.

I was amazed at the number of boats leaving AMS each day and quicky found out that most of them leave with empty cabins! However, when I searched, I couldn't find any Consolidator or agency that managed these vacancies. It seems strange to me because, as with Airlines & Sea Cruises, these empty berths are 'dead money' for the company.

My wife and I are exploring the opportunity to turn up in Amsterdam (or any other cruise starting point, including the USA) with a plan to get on any river cruise, leaving that day, to anywhere in the best cabin that is available. If it turns out (and I'd be surprised) that every boat was totally full, we'd be happy (once again!) to rent a car and head off into the sunset for a different sort of holiday.

It seems to me that there HAS to be a system to fill these last-minute, Point-of-Sailing vacancies. Does anyone know what that system is? Is there an on-line way of identifying boat departures and last minute vacancies?

Is it possible to negotiate with the Cruise's on-board Cruise Director in the last couple of hours before departure?

Any pointers would be appreciated and, I'd really like to hear from anyone who has actually done this (8-))

John (Frodo1)

I have not heard of any specific sites or agents. We would not be allowed to name such a site according to the rules of CC, if I have understood this correctly. Have you tried the lines directly? They often state something like "limited availability" or "please phone" for some cruises, perhaps they have a way of letting you onto boats at short notice at reduced prices, as well. More of a courtesy I should think, the "last minute" fill-up policy that you get in other areas of tourism has never really caught on - from my experience - with river cruising.

To give you an example of such a line with offers (not last minute): http://www.croisieurope.co.uk/discount-cruises-special-offers

This would be anything between two months prior to a few days prior with them.

There are some agencies online in German that sell at short notice (from one week to 48 hours before a rivercruise), again, I cannot name those.

One company that offers last minute is nicko cruises in German: https://www.nicko-cruises.de/angebote/last-minute/ , only for their "own" ships. They are - when the season starts - left over contingency tickets and last-minute cancellations, at reduced prices the website claims.

But just turning up at the ship, I do not think that this - for security reasons and logistics - is possible. I would phone up the company of your choice and start negotiations...

Good luck!

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

I will interested in replies. have you made enquires about this with any travel agents? they often can access that sort of info last minute vacancies. you may run into difficulties with purchasing on the spot for all sorts of reasons.

not sure staff on board can sell cabins in the manner you describe. sales and marketing is usually a different department.

pricing is also different for different markets, currency/taxes/inclusions etc.

we have travelled to Europe at short notice occasionally, we are prepared to pay perhaps more for flights/accommodation in those circumstances, but not sure I would arrive at a port and expect to pay and be given a vacant cabin.

interested in what others say but I would suggest speak to a travel agent about late availability, attractive deals can be found.

I have personally seen cruises advertised, at greatly reduced prices, and sold in the main tourist information centers in both Amsterdam and Paris. I believe they act as a clearinghouse for cruises, with availability, that are leaving within a few days from that city. One might check there, upon arrival, to see what is immediately available. Maybe nothing, maybe you'll get lucky.

Please be aware that the cruise lines purposely leave some cabins open on many cruises for a multitude of reasons, including performing some rotating required maintenance and scheduled deep cleaning of cabins that can't be accomplished during turnover and performed during a cruise as schedule allows.