Encore Inaugural Plans?

free101girl

My husband and I will be arriving in Singapore on January 3 and sailing on Encore's inaugural January 7. That's not far off, yet at this point we've received exactly zero information from Seabourn about any inaugural festivities: what, when or where!

I've attended two other cruise ship inaugural galas as an invited guest, and both included lovely music, appearances by celebrities, fireworks, etc. I assume Seabourn has something similar planned for the official launch of Encore, but nothing has been communicated to us.

Have other guests on our sailing received any information? Is this a failure on our travel agent's part? Or is Seabourn planning to spring a surprise on its inaugural guests?

My husband and I will be arriving in Singapore on January 3 and sailing on Encore's inaugural January 7. That's not far off, yet at this point we've received exactly zero information from Seabourn about any inaugural festivities: what, when or where!

I've attended two other cruise ship inaugural galas as an invited guest, and both included lovely music, appearances by celebrities, fireworks, etc. I assume Seabourn has something similar planned for the official launch of Encore, but nothing has been communicated to us.

Have other guests on our sailing received any information? Is this a failure on our travel agent's part? Or is Seabourn planning to spring a surprise on its inaugural guests?

I called Seabourn about this yesterday and was told that they are in the process of emailing invitations to invited guests to the inaugural festivities on 07Jan. Some guests have already received the email. I was also told that the email invitation is just informational; if you're on the invitation list, you're invited regardless of the email that you may or may not received.

...if you're on the invitation list, you're invited regardless of the email that you may or may not received.

I had assumed that as (paying) passengers on the inaugural sailing, we'd be invited!

I'll call my travel agent on Monday, as this seems ridiculous.

Edited by free101girl

Finding out details re the inauguration event has been difficult, I know I have asked. :rolleyes:

I know there will be speeches and fireworks? and that we are in the Marina Bay Port. Sarah Brightman is the Godmother.

I asked about timing as we are doing a back to back from Dubai and I wanted to plan out our day for the 7th. I was told they will be busy all day with disembarking and embarking passengers, so we going off to enjoy the Singapore Zoo. Having only done the Night Safari previously.

A few days ago we received this via email from Seabourn -

Seabourn requests

the honor of your presence

following a celebratory dinner on board your ship.

Join your fellow guests from

Seabourn Encore & Seabourn Sojourn

at the official naming ceremony

and special celebration

for the stunning new

SEABOURN ENCORE

the evening of January 7, 2017

Marina Bay Cruise Centre

Singapore

Attire is elegant casual

RSVP not required

Additional details will be provided on board

This would seem to indicate the evening is when most things are planned for. Maybe this is to allow passengers boarding will have a chance to settle in and rest prior. Also, as this is a turn-a-round day, the crew will be very hard pushed to get everything set up as well.

I hope this helps a little.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

Finding out details re the inauguration event has been difficult, I know I have asked. :rolleyes:

I know there will be speeches and fireworks? and that we are in the Marina Bay Port. Sarah Brightman is the Godmother.

I asked about timing as we are doing a back to back from Dubai and I wanted to plan out our day for the 7th. I was told they will be busy all day with disembarking and embarking passengers, so we going off to enjoy the Singapore Zoo. Having only done the Night Safari previously.

A few days ago we received this via email from Seabourn -

Seabourn requests

and special celebration

for the stunning new

SEABOURN ENCORE

Marina Bay Cruise Centre

Singapore

Attire is elegant casual

RSVP not required

This would seem to indicate the evening is when most things are planned for. Maybe this is to allow passengers boarding will have a chance to settle in and rest prior. Also, as this is a turn-a-round day, the crew will be very hard pushed to get everything set up as well.

Julie

Julie did Seabourn finally tell the Aussies? :)

Don't forget the offer I made you? :D

... A few days ago we received this via email from Seabourn -

Seabourn requests

and special celebration

for the stunning new

SEABOURN ENCORE

Marina Bay Cruise Centre

Singapore

Attire is elegant casual

RSVP not required

Julie

Thanks, that's very helpful for understanding the timing!

• 4 weeks later...

We attended the Encore launch celebration last night held in the Singapore cruise terminal for Encore and certain Sojourn passengers and crew.

I will reserve my comments for another time as I would prefer to read what other CC posters who may have been there have to say. But for now I will throw into the mix that this was nothing like the beautiful, intimate and dramatic event that Pamela Conover and Barry Hopkins delivered for the launch of the Odyssey in Venice.

Could it be that the only worthwhile and memorable event was the video screen projections on the hull of the ship when the champagne bottle was smashed?

Over to you, CC posters.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Ps- I intend to return to this thread another time- as in when the dust has settled a bit.

Markham

Could not agree more!

What a disaspointment from start to finish.

First was the forced (on everyone) and not-previously-advised dining arrangements - we had to eat in The Restaurant at a table for 4 at 6pm whether we wished for that or not - next came a wholly underwhelming 'inaugural ceremony' that started late, was housed in an utterly characterless function centre with the atmosphere of military bunker, and was more a banal and self-indulgent Seabourn corporate event praising crews, themselves, 'the golden era of cruising', and the Singaporean government. All intermixed with an ordinary standard (at its most charitable) of musical 'entertainment'. Sarah Brightman 'starred' for all of 3 minutes and a handful of words, what on earth was she paid for?

It would not be quite so bad if the advance billing was not so infused with promise and glamourous expectation on the part of Seabourn's promotional machine.

From fellow travelers I conversed with thereafter, not a complimentary word could be found; the common view was one of disappointment and passenger time wasted on this soulless corporate communication event masquerading as a joyful celebration of something special.

Furthermore, we found The Restaurant's service very mixed, wine pours were erratic, requests forgotten. It may have been the unusual enforced seating times that destabilised the the smooth running of the enterprise. It was far from the best start to the cruise.

Summary: such a beautiful ship - that's a vast and highly impressive upgrade to the OD class versions - deserved a better and more genuine ceremony, as did its passengers.

Edited by Globalia

Yes, the event was a terrible letdown although I bet that the Seabourn management types are backslapping and congratulating themselves. What in the world were they thinking?!?

This launch was the most expensive Seabourn cruise we have ever taken. And I could kick myself for allowing myself to be so disappointed with the event. I guess one can say we were taken for a ride. So that the Seattle crowd could fly in first class and enjoy themselves. Among the several passengers I spoke with this morning nobody else did.

Anyway, the commemorative gift we received in our cabin is a large and heavy Tihany coffee table book. Which will shortly be delivered to Seabourn Square, doubtless along with dozens of others, for their coffee tables. Who wants to shlepp this around? Why not a ceramic festival mask, coasters in a Seabourn engraved box or a Seabourn engraved crystal clock which were what was gifted at the Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest inaugurals? Wow.

So that's my rant. Thanks for your patience.

@ Globalia - can you confirm whether our former Dear Leader J. Gillard is a guest speaker on this segment, or is she just a humble VIP?

RR - our Dear Former Leader Julia G is I believe only gracing the Encore later this year, in November if I recall correctly. Or perhaps your mention of 'humble VIP' re this cruise indicates her incognito presence on this cruise, of which most of us are thus far unaware.....maybe that's a good thing!

Who knows, after the ultimate damp squib of the 'Inaugural Ceremony' we endured last night perhaps Seabourn will fly now fly in a few ex-PMs and ex-Presidents in an attempt to repair the damage.

Tony Blair's and Bill Clinton's fees might well undercut Sarah Brightman's, at least on a per minute basis.

We too were at Seabourn's annual corporate conference last night, that's what it felt like! So firstly this was about creating a 'show', an event. Nope. This was purely a corporate information event. And they didn't even get Sarah to 'sing'. As lovely as I am sure she is, she is known purely for her voice, and thus a contract should have been developed to allow this. Also no fireworks for our departure?! Very strange, and very underwhelming to be honest. Thank goodness the ship is beautiful, but a big fat zero for the Christening event.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad we decided to miss this event and forthcoming cruise. As I have said on another thread there is clearly something seriously wrong among Seabourn senior management and Carnival need to address this urgently as otherwise Seabourn will find itself bereft of its loyal passengers. I hope Carnival have someone who reads and draws attention of their top management to the recent threads on Seabourn.

We attended the Encore launch celebration last night held in the Singapore cruise terminal for Encore and certain Sojourn passengers and crew.

I will reserve my comments for another time as I would prefer to read what other CC posters who may have been there have to say. But for now I will throw into the mix that this was nothing like the beautiful, intimate and dramatic event that Pamela Conover and Barry Hopkins delivered for the launch of the Odyssey in Venice.

Could it be that the only worthwhile and memorable event was the video screen projections on the hull of the ship when the champagne bottle was smashed?

Over to you, CC posters.

Ps- I intend to return to this thread another time- as in when the dust has settled a bit.

I doubt anything will ever match the launch of the Odyssey in Venice. That sits emblazoned in my mind as the most spectacular event I've ever experienced on Seabourn. Sorry you were so disappointed in this one.

Thank you, Wripro, for your comment about how wonderful the Odyssey launch celebration was in Venice. Great memories! It was all about Seabourn passengers. Not about the corporate world and its sales spiel. I mean, really, we were already "sold" by virtue of paying our (very high) fares for this cruise...

One lesson is that you treat the customer as he expects to be treated. Apparently, no one took that responsibility seriously. For me, what might have saved the evening, knowing what I do now, was for it to start on time, keep it short and deliver up some drama. Why in the world did we have board room presentations and why we were not treated to at least a song, my suggestion being by Sojourn's lovely, talented and charming cruise director Sophie Tehrani? What else? We could not even get a beer, wine or water in this immigration terminal.

I gotta move on.

Over and out, markham

I hasten to add that the Seabourn Encore shipboard officers and crew have been 100% understanding, thoughtful and supportive regarding my comments and those of other passengers about the launch evening.

What terrific and kind people!

I'm sure Ms Brightman was lavishly transported, accommodated, wined and dined by her Seabourn hosts in Singapore. The very least she could have done was sing for her supper. It's only polite. I'm wondering if the whole lacklustre event is an indication of some major problems behind the scenes, including the supposed "star attraction" playing the Diva Card? I wasn't there and so can't say, but from what I've read I wouldn't be at all surprised if it later transpires that the whole event was a complete corporate snafu.

I was experiencing feelings of jealousy and remorse as the inaugural approached as I was wishing I'd joined up.

Now I'm glad that I didn't, especially after my experiences on the over-marketed/under-executed wine cruise this past fall. Seabourn is lacking in the special events delivery and execution.

The launch was a marketing exercise by Carnival, preaching, no, lecturing to the converted; Seabourn passengers paying an absolute premium to be on board. Seabourn passengers squashed in seating in a cavernous shipping terminal. We booked this leg of the cruise, following the Athens Dubai leg, because we enjoyed the launch of the Quest so much. A gala evening in Barcelona, held on the deck, with a short, studied, appropriate speech by Blyth Danner, the godmother, massive fireworks and a wonderful party atmosphere. It was also held on time. We talked friends into joining this launch cruise of the Encore. Embarrassing.

Yes, the event was a terrible letdown although I bet that the Seabourn management types are backslapping and congratulating themselves. What in the world were they thinking?!?

This launch was the most expensive Seabourn cruise we have ever taken. And I could kick myself for allowing myself to be so disappointed with the event. I guess one can say we were taken for a ride. So that the Seattle crowd could fly in first class and enjoy themselves. Among the several passengers I spoke with this morning nobody else did.

Anyway, the commemorative gift we received in our cabin is a large and heavy Tihany coffee table book. Which will shortly be delivered to Seabourn Square, doubtless along with dozens of others, for their coffee tables. Who wants to shlepp this around? Why not a ceramic festival mask, coasters in a Seabourn engraved box or a Seabourn engraved crystal clock which were what was gifted at the Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest inaugurals? Wow.

So that's my rant. Thanks for your patience.

markham would you like to swap your Tihany coffee table book for our very large glass paper weight with the ship Encore in the middle? :)

It would have been good if it was the Sojourn in the glass as we are on the Sojourn not the Encore

The launch was a marketing exercise by Carnival, preaching, no, lecturing to the converted; Seabourn passengers paying an absolute premium to be on board. Seabourn passengers squashed in seating in a cavernous shipping terminal. We booked this leg of the cruise, following the Athens Dubai leg, because we enjoyed the launch of the Quest so much. A gala evening in Barcelona, held on the deck, with a short, studied, appropriate speech by Blyth Danner, the godmother, massive fireworks and a wonderful party atmosphere. It was also held on time. We talked friends into joining this launch cruise of the Encore. Embarrassing.

We were also on the Quest for the launch in Barcelona and thought after that we couldn't miss the launch of the Encore. As things turned out (or perhaps luck had it) we had to cancel. We really only wanted to experience the launch party as the itinerary didn't interest us much at all. Sorry to hear it was a disappointment but at least you will have your names on a wall!