Pandora on Regent internet network

shuguley

When I was on the internet on the Explorer (in the Business Center - not my own equipment) I received a message a few times that we were not on a secure network. I should have been more concerned because we have had 10 times more spam since that cruise.

The phrase "on the internet" is so open-ended that it's impossible to give an accurate answer. Did the messages come while using websites, web-based email, off-line email, social media? What types of logins were you using once you were on the ship's internet system? Further, the definition of "secure network" is not a standard. How and when were these messages coming to you - on particular websites, doing specific functions??

Same with "10 times more spam". Where is this "spam" occurring? Was the Regent system the only one that you used in the time between leaving home and returning? It is possible that the "spam" is from another source and is only coincidentally tied in with the "secure network" messages.

Perhaps a new thread devoted to onboard internet connectivity, best practices and general discussion is in order, rather than hijacking a thread on Pandora usage. And yes, I'm guilty of the hijack.

The phrase "on the internet" is so open-ended that it's impossible to give an accurate answer. Did the messages come while using websites, web-based email, off-line email, social media? What types of logins were you using once you were on the ship's internet system? Further, the definition of "secure network" is not a standard. How and when were these messages coming to you - on particular websites, doing specific functions??

Same with "10 times more spam". Where is this "spam" occurring? Was the Regent system the only one that you used in the time between leaving home and returning? It is possible that the "spam" is from another source and is only coincidentally tied in with the "secure network" messages.

Perhaps a new thread devoted to onboard internet connectivity, best practices and general discussion is in order, rather than hijacking a thread on Pandora usage. And yes, I'm guilty of the hijack.

Since this is computer related, I'm not sure it qualifies as hijacking. The issue only occurred while sending email and my "spam" is incoming emails. Would love to see a discussion of this but am not sure if there is enough interest. I'll be onboard the Explorer a week from Sunday and will ask the "computer guru" about it if it appears. Thanks much for your response.

Invest in a VPN. Not just for shipboard use, but also for hotels, restaurants and home.

I personally have had great success with Private Internet Access. Multiple servers around the world and fast performance.

LINK HERE

Investigated the VPN services and have joined PIA. Thanks. It's fun making those looking at my IP address think I am somewhere that I am not. :D

Investigated the VPN services and have joined PIA. Thanks. It's fun making those looking at my IP address think I am somewhere that I am not. :D

They also have clients for your phone and tablet as well. So don't think this is just a laptop/desktop type of service. In fact, the phone may be even more important to secure, given how much we have on them.