Pandora on Regent internet network

shuguley

Has anyone tried using Pandora while connected to the Regent internet network? I realize internet speed is dependent on ship location but was also wondering if a music streaming service like Pandora was restricted or blocked on board due to bandwidth requirement?

Some of the upper class suites offer the use of a Bose Mini II Bluetooth speaker system and it would be nice to be able to stream music to my iPhone and then Bluetooth to the Bose.

I don't know if streaming services are blocked by policy, but they're effectively blocked by bandwidth. Latency is a huge problem, and frankly, streaming is a pretty big bandwidth hog.

As I recall, the suites that have Bose docks also provide an iPod upon request. Not a ton of music but a pretty nice variety. Not sure if that's still offered, though.

Edited by UUNetBill
Added info

Has anyone tried using Pandora while connected to the Regent internet network? I realize internet speed is dependent on ship location but was also wondering if a music streaming service like Pandora was restricted or blocked on board due to bandwidth requirement?

Some of the upper class suites offer the use of a Bose Mini II Bluetooth speaker system and it would be nice to be able to stream music to my iPhone and then Bluetooth to the Bose.

On any ship using (as they must) satellite wifi, the best assumption is little or no connectivity for anything using much bandwidth. Emails - fine...emails with large attachments - dicey. Skype - voice only is fine (in our experience)...video or FaceTime - good luck.

So the best plan is to bring your music with you on the phone.

It is my understanding that Pandora is not available outside of the US and one other country, the name of which escapes me, perhaps Australia-? Your IP address is a function of your location, and they know where you are connecting.

Redbird

You can use Pandora in any country by using a proxy server or just forcing HTTPS on Chrome or Firefox. Google it.

Pandora has different speeds that affect the quality. The lowest is 64kbs. At this level it needs about .5mb per minute data usage.

Technically it should work. But in reality it won't becasue, in my experience, this is right at the upper limit of data speed for Regent ships and the connections are at high latency, lots of packet errors.

Bet bet is to load some music up on your iPod or phone.

J

595/40

In addition to the speed, you have inherent problems with satellite latency as well.

My suggestion would be to find a way to bring some music - even if it's possible to stream Pandora, it's not very neighborly. Using that much bandwidth on an already over utilized network just for music? Not cool...

Maybe load up an iPod shuffle or something & use a 3.5mm cable?

In addition to the speed, you have inherent problems with satellite latency as well.

My suggestion would be to find a way to bring some music - even if it's possible to stream Pandora, it's not very neighborly. Using that much bandwidth on an already over utilized network just for music? Not cool...

Maybe load up an iPod shuffle or something & use a 3.5mm cable?

Bill - I very much concur with your sentiment regarding using the limited bandwidth of the ship's system for something as trivial as streaming music into one's cabin, particularly when it is so easy to bring music of one's taste aboard on one or more devices.

On one of our recent cruises, the system was heavily burdened by a number of passengers who insisted on streaming news feeds and/or stock market feeds all day long (even when not even in their cabins). I would respectfully suggest that anyone who must be online for every moment of every day at a high rate of bandwith usage should perhaps consider an alternate mode of travel.

Freddie and Bill, I am sure this is one of the reasons why the on-board internet is so slow. As I suggested in an earlier thread, the number of passengers on their phones almost continuously, undoubtedly downloading updates, uploading photos to the cloud and doing all of those "automatic" things phones and tablets do when connected to wifi must surely drain any improvements in bandwidth, thereby affecting us all.

Freddie and Bill, I am sure this is one of the reasons why the on-board internet is so slow. As I suggested in an earlier thread, the number of passengers on their phones almost continuously, undoubtedly downloading updates, uploading photos to the cloud and doing all of those "automatic" things phones and tablets do when connected to wifi must surely drain any improvements in bandwidth, thereby affecting us all.

Agree with you completely. I would still like to see a Business Center (not like the one on the Explorer) with a dedicated fast-speed internet connection that people who are working on the ship (or need to use a lot of bandwidth) could pay for and get the type of speeds that they are seeking. What Regent offers in their "included" package would be just fine if the passengers needing a lot of bandwidth were not online. Why should Regent pay for you working on the ship when most companies would reimburse you for the cost involved if you paid for it yourself?

Unfortunately, I'll likely be slammed for that comment. I understand that many passengers have continue to "work" on the ship but all of us pay for the included internet through our fares and I, for one, don't want to pay for something that your company should be paying for. Most of us use the internet to keep in touch with family, friends and pet sitters. We also use the internet to research transportation or things to do in port.

Before I get blasted, I want to add that the officers are also hogging bandwidth ..... perhaps they should have a dedicated connection as well (not so much for when are in contact with their family but their long and frequent meetings with Miami that no doubt hog tons of bandwidth.

Jackie, I'd say that a dozen of us checking our email or similar use a LOT less bandwidth than the Facebook video posters or the Radiohead streamers or the people Facetiming their parakeets or whatever...

Do you mean that I can't FaceTime my parakeet?:mad: Seriously, I wish there was a way to make "regular" (checking email or searching the internet) included but charging for "Radiohead streamers or the people Facetiming their parakeets......."

Do you mean that I can't FaceTime my parakeet?:mad: Seriously, I wish there was a way to make "regular" (checking email or searching the internet) included but charging for "Radiohead streamers or the people Facetiming their parakeets......."

Well, there's absolutely a way to do it...but it's not practical, really. You could have your bandwidth split between two network segments, and have one of them like a 'text only' segment that blocks all streaming content, active x, large graphic files, etc...and have an 'open' segment that allows whatever the network will bear...but you're talking different logins, additional user account maintenance, etc. It would be a sys admin's nightmare, I think.

And I'll admit - I contributed to the lack of bandwidth by trying to check in on my dog on the Camp Bow Wow doggie cams. But I gave THAT up real quick - although I was able to check in on him on shore by using whatever wifi I could find. I'm sure you could Facetime your parakeet from a piazza somewhere, no problem!!

I understand there is a separate crew network, which is less busy than the one in general use. I say this because we met someone on our last cruise who had "important business" which was impossible to conduct over the normal network. Don't ask me how or why (I don't know..I didn't ask) but the guest was given an additional password and log in - possibly the personal log in from the member of staff who was challenged by insistent requests? Personally, had I such important business to deal with, I would question the practicality of being at sea, but I am fortunate in either being so important that I have people on the ground to do such things for me or, more likely, such a minion that nothing so important ever comes my way that can't wait a few days.

Many hotels offer tiered internet access, with higher speeds coming at a price premium. Technologically possible onboard, but would require a corporate committment to the concept.

And keeping in mind that satellite internet is a whole different beast than simply stringing in a new fiber - land-based internet can carry low-latency, high-speed traffic a LOT better than even the best sat based systems.

I don't have a parakeet - can I FaceTime your dog?

Good to know that it is possible to have tiered internet access. I wonder if Regent's technical guru is reading this. I would suspect that having tiered internet access with only one tier being "included" could save Regent $$$. It seems that the more bandwidth they purchase, the more users find a way to use it up.

I don't have a parakeet - can I FaceTime your dog?

Good to know that it is possible to have tiered internet access. I wonder if Regent's technical guru is reading this. I would suspect that having tiered internet access with only one tier being "included" could save Regent $$$. It seems that the more bandwidth they purchase, the more users find a way to use it up.

The only way for Regent to offer "Tiered" upgraded internet would be for them to do a seriously expense equipment upgrade. Think: an additional satellite receiver to get additional bandwidth. (One of those dome thingy on the top of the ship,) Cost in the millions.

j

The only way for Regent to offer "Tiered" upgraded internet would be for them to do a seriously expense equipment upgrade. Think: an additional satellite receiver to get additional bandwidth. (One of those dome thingy on the top of the ship,) Cost in the millions.

j

I'm pretty sure they could make it work with the existing sat link by isolating different segments and allocating bandwidth accordingly, much the same way local providers can offer different speed pachages on the same physical media...but even the fast side of it would be slower than mediocre land-based internet. And the administrative headaches...not worth it, not at all.

I understand there is a separate crew network, which is less busy than the one in general use. I say this because we met someone on our last cruise who had "important business" which was impossible to conduct over the normal network. Don't ask me how or why (I don't know..I didn't ask) but the guest was given an additional password and log in - possibly the personal log in from the member of staff who was challenged by insistent requests? Personally, had I such important business to deal with, I would question the practicality of being at sea, but I am fortunate in either being so important that I have people on the ground to do such things for me or, more likely, such a minion that nothing so important ever comes my way that can't wait a few days.

This would have been access to the "office administration" system not the crews system as the crew system is also paid. The office system is used by the pursuer, ShoreEx, Bridge, GM, etc.

It all still goes through the same satellite system as the passengers and it doesn't work any better.

J

40/595

I have read a number of posts by people who conduct business via the Internet while on a Regent cruise and have often wondered how secure those transactions are? I worry about signing on to financial accounts or other sensitive sites. Are transmissions scrambled before they are uplinked to the sat?

I have read a number of posts by people who conduct business via the Internet while on a Regent cruise and have often wondered how secure those transactions are? I worry about signing on to financial accounts or other sensitive sites. Are transmissions scrambled before they are uplinked to the sat?

Invest in a VPN. Not just for shipboard use, but also for hotels, restaurants and home.

I personally have had great success with Private Internet Access. Multiple servers around the world and fast performance.

LINK HERE

This is such a good question. When I was on the internet on the Explorer (in the Business Center - not my own equipment) I received a message a few times that we were not on a secure network. I should have been more concerned because we have had 10 times more spam since that cruise. Perhaps someone on this thread with more knowledge than I have could give us some insight as what we should do when we receive that message.