Have I made a mistake in booking on Ventura?

jules57

I am currently sitting on my balcony on Ventura in La Spezia. We have only eaten in the MDR and I have to say the standard of the food is pretty good. Some slightly weird combinations on the menu but nothing like it has been described by some posters. Cannot comment on the buffet because I have not chosen to use it. I suggest that as the MDR is good anyone who thinks the buffet is poor should do as we do- not eat there.

We cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse frequently.

Tried the Ventura in February. Totally different experience. Food in the MDR was OK most of the time - but the service, unless you stuck rigidly to the menu, was inflexible. Not nearly enough tables for two in the Freedom Dining. Buffet was...disgusting.

We are two elderly ladies on our own and the managers were amazed that I refused to accept the worst tables in their restaurants - even when the the restaurants were mostly empty.:confused: We are used to the great service on Celebrity and found that junior management on P&O, at times treated passengers with disdain. Another passenger, also trying P&O after many years with other lines, said that he felt that the ship was run for the convenience of the staff and not the passengers.

However, the cabin steward, Simon, was excellent. Front office staff very nice.

The entertainment was better than Celebrity and we enjoyed the speciality restaurants.

We will be going with them again - but must remember to take my Tesco cordials for flavoured water, as I don't do fizzy and they disable the drinks machines at lunch and dinner.:mad: Also, decaf coffee is in packets and not nice.

They are just missing the little things - and if you are not expecting too much....you will not be disappointed!! The indoor pool area is very bleak - they need a designer!!! But its a covered pool area which is more than Cunard has!! ;p

In the winter there isn't too much choice of cruise lines - and the entertainment is better than Celebrity. You can actually do two shows a night if you want.

P&O management just needs a kick up the wotsit - hehehehe!!!!!

Tried the Ventura in February. Totally different experience. Food in the MDR was OK most of the time

Edited by jules57
Withdrawn due to techinical issues

Tried the Ventura in February. Totally different experience. Food in the MDR was OK most of the time

WOT????:D:p Jules - do try again!!

Waiting for all the flames - bring them on!!

Re:above....sorry to have to ask you to be a "food-tasting guinea pig". We hope that our unfortunate unpleasant food experiences on the Ventura was a "fluke". And that is not the usual standard of cooking on the ship.

However, unless we have more favorable food reports from others who have been on this ship after we have, we would be wary of cruising with her in future.

No problem - I have every intention of trying lots of food whilst on board!

We are trying Ventura for the first time in August for a 17 cruise. Lots of sea days so I am out of my comfort zone before we even step aboard

We loved Britannia and have a love affair with the older lady Oceana though, so enjoy P&O.

Have to say, we have been with Celebrity a number of times, and do wonder why everyone who sings their praises are so overwhelmingly positive. Yes, it was good, but not that much better and far more expensive....

Must admit, reading this thread is depressing me though as I am now concerned about our choice .....

Please tell me it isn't as bad as folk are saying .....

I am sure you will enjoy it. The food wasn't bad. Just that we are so used to the excellent service on Celebrity, that it was quite shocking that Pando was so different. Didn't help that, as we are just two little old ladies on our own, we were subjected to old-fashioned discrimination - probably a cultural thing. That seems to be another difference - the other lines use mixed nationalities - Pando seems mainly to employ people from India - not sure if that is a good or bad thing really. I believe it is historical? Surprisingly, a passenger who liked Indian food, said it wasn't very good - except for Sindhu.

It was interesting that Pando feels it necessary to put cards on the table in the restaurant asking for comments. Indeed, at one meal the waiter came up and told us that we 'had' to put excellent on the card! I believe the powers that be are not unaware of problems. This does seem to happen when tips are put on automatically. At one point I removed the tips, but unlike other cruise lines, there is no breakdown on the tipping. Therefore, I just put them back on and sucked it up.

The entertainment was good, drinks are cheap and if you like Indian food, you will be in paradise! We don't:rolleyes:

We did have another problem and that is to do with wheelchair allocation on arrival, but I will post about that on a separate thread. Extremely worrying for us. Not sure how we will cope with boarding:loudcry:

BMT we too have cruised with Celebrity on several occasions, the last 2 in very nice suites which thoroughly spoilt us. I do think the service and food on Celebrity is superior but comes at a price. I thought the buffet on X wasn't great but it is better than on Pando.

However X is expensive, particularly suites (I know you get what you pay for) and the itineraries repetitive so that is why we tried Oriana last year and why we have booked again.

We too couldn't understand why we kept being asked if we would share a table in freedom dining when the restaurant was virtually empty. They did show us to a table for 2 when we said no and a couple of waiters took a shine to us anyway.

I hope next year's cruise will be a success and will keep our fingers crossed.

I've just done a review on may last cruise on Ventura. It's being reviewed by the administrators so may not be available for a day or two. It may help ease your minds. The review is called

Eating in Epicurean, Sindhu and the Glasshouse while cruising to Iberia

Providing you aren't expecting a 5 star line, P&O for me are hard to beat at the price they charge. They aren't perfect, but there again, none of the lines I've been with are.

Actually, I would rather pay a bit more. We HAVE to have an HA balcony or below, as the more costly cabins and suites have a bath - not suitable for a 101 year old!! In the winter, its only Pando and Cunard from Soham as we can't do airports anymore. Only Ventura has an indoor pool area - we don't get off in ports and having a covered area even in port in the winter, is nice. Would be nicer if it wern't so bleak!!

The problem that I and others on board trying Pando again after many years had, is that it really isn't a question of money. As I said, the food was OK except in the buffet, which I was informed is being changed in June - it seems to be an attitude towards striving towards the lowest common denominator and 'can't be bothered with these nuisance cruisers'. Celebrity don't make us feel that way!

One savvy cruiser said this is done so as not to compete with Cunard!! Now that's opening a can of worms.;p

Yes, our main problem was the Dining Room seating I suppose. Just a chore every night. Sent from one Dining Room to the other and they refusing to ring down and see if they really did have free tables in the other MDR. Not funny with an elderly person.

I believe there is now a change of CEO - and he is an American. Have to see what he makes of it all. My suspicion though, that he is an accountant and not a hotelier and if the figures add up, he won't care.

BTW - the ice creams on board were fabulous. Wonder who is supplying them?

I think we must off been on the same cruise, the custard was see-through. And the rice pudding was watery.

We know what you mean about the (so-called) custard and rice pudding. Anyone who have tasted those items on the Ventura during our cruise could have been put off custard and rice pudding for life! It was certainly "not very nice". Beats us how "good" the chefs were when they could not even make proper custard and rice pudding.

It would have been "forgiveable" if the above two items were the only ones which were mediocre (we could not expect every dish to be good or superb), but as we have listed earlier (above), there were many more dishes which were below acceptable standard on a reasonably respectable cruise. Seemed like worst "offenders" were the chefs in the buffet!

Someone mentioned if we did not like the buffet, go somewhere else to eat . We have a better solution, if we do not think the buffet is up to acceptable standard on the Ventura, we go choose another ship for our future cruises (at least, until we hear better reviews about the Ventura that they have improved their food since our cruise.). Instead of spending thousands of pounds on the Ventura, we could use it on something better - and this time, we'd better check up to see the food standard is good (especially in the buffet, as we love good buffets, not mediocre ones).

Edited by Cahpek

BTM, I think you have hit the nail on it's head. Over the last few years I think that cruise companies in general have cut as much as they feel they can get away with. My last cruise on Ventura was less than I paid for a similar cruise in 2010, which was nice, but some of the staff are very over

BTM, I think you have hit the nail on it's head. Over the last few years I think that cruise companies in general have cut as much as they feel they can get away with. My last cruise on Ventura was less than I paid for a similar cruise in 2010, which was nice, but some of the staff are very overworked

Looks like the rest of my post was lost in the ether! I was having a rant. Never mind.

Cunard for me isn't much better. Was on QE in December and although the ship still had a wow factor, service was very poor with orders in the MDR not being taken until 21:10 on second sitting.

Its really not bad - although the buffet was just horrible. Gave up and wanted to make a cheese sandwich or something. The cheese 'selection' was tiny diced cheddar pieces in a soup bowl. What happened to a platter of sliced cheddar and emmenthal, well presented? No baguette - just horrible 'doughy' rolls or sliced bread.

And of course, loads of Asian food. There was a good lamb carvery at one point and there were sauce boats of mint sauce. If you want horseradish with the beef carvery, you have to hunt amongst the ketchup sachets. A staff member eventually found a sachet for us!! No sauce boat for horseradish? These are little details that don't cost money. And the lack of supplies at the drink stations - supervisors marching around looking important but not bothering to check? Everyone agreed - too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Also in the buffet, staff gathered chatting at one end and ignoring passengers. Should be helping with tea and coffee!! No sign of supervision. On Celebrity, they have rather large male supervisors who are really on the ball!! No messing there!

And let's not mention the Library!! Many books in an appalling state - Pando, where are you coming from? Another tenner per passenger won't be noticed - but I am not at all sure its money - its that the Management is paying no attention to detail.

P&O should NOT be standing for poor&'orrible;p Anyway, its not that cheap really. To the people I saw on the cruise, a couple of hundred is not going to make or break for most of them. What is in P&O's favour is..... cheap drinks!!! Problem is, we rarely drink. Odd Zinfandel for us - and we enjoyed the Glasshouse and Beach House. Couldn't take our reservation for Epicurean due to weather, so can't comment.

What is really impressing me, is that no Pando cheerleaders are on here lambasting us!! Wouldn't it be nice to think that Pando management are actually reading our comments...and acting on them? Although I do think they have a major problem, but that its just not PC to talk about it. So I shall sign off now.

Edited by BMT

I have to say that on the many cruises we've been on, P&O food has never been first class. Hot, yes; plentiful, yes; filling, yes but never outstanding. We used to say that Thomson's did the best food but a recent cruise on the Spirit changed our mind on that front. Also, American cruise line such as Carnival or NCL are more focussed on quantity rather than quality, the food being more than adequate but never having the "wow" factor. I often wonder if this is deliberate in order to get people to pay the supplement and visit the speciality restaurants?

Actually, I have often wondered that myself.;p As it happens, I didn't think the food in the MDR was bad at all. In fact, the steaks were better than Celebrity and Cunard and always cooked as ordered. My brother goes Oceania and Silversea, because he and his OH are foodies. We are not that bothered really as long as its reasonable, as we eat out most days at home. It is more the lack of two tops in Freedom Dining and inflexible service attitudes that bothered us.

i.e. I asked for my steak to be accompanied by fries and onion rings, as they accompanied another item on the menu. Was told that I had to stick to the green beans (always green beans - good job I like 'em!!). By then I was exasperated and asked for the restaurant manager. Of course, my order appeared as requested! Everyday refused a caesar salad - even when a caesar wrap was on the menu.:eek:

Celebrity are yes yes ships and P&O are no no ships. Can't do and excuses all the way. Celebrity MAKES things happen - even some of the most ridiculous requests.

Having interesting email exchanges re wheelchair allocation - will be reporting back soon. But it SUDDENLY occurred to me that not permitting us to board until 3.30 on Day 1 means they owe us half a day!! I am requesting that they serve the lunch for which we have paid, in the terminal, or supply us with a hotel room until we are allowed to board. They are behaving disgracefully and it would be illegal in the US!!!

But this is another story and I will be reporting under another thread soon.

We got off Ventura today and I have to say that the food has generally improved since our cruise on her last year. There were some strange items which I was not tempted to try such as "salt & vinegar" ice cream though I did try the "peppered strawberry" ice cream. The only poor meal I had was roast lamb which was so over cooked that it was inedible. Many people were complaining about the vegetables but as I like mine al-dente I had no complaints.

We have decided that this was our last cruise on Ventura because of our dis-satisfaction with service in the MDR and with the cabin steward. I really think that for some reason Ventura staff do not appear to be as happy and consequently are less engaged than on the other ship's. The final straw was really very minor in that on my birthday the cabin steward took down my birthday cards whilst we were at breakfast so I stood them up again when we returned but he had taken them down again when he came into the cabin again later.

We got off Ventura today and I have to say that the food has generally improved since our cruise on her last year. There were some strange items which I was not tempted to try such as "salt & vinegar" ice cream though I did try the "peppered strawberry" ice cream. The only poor meal I had was roast lamb which was so over cooked that it was inedible. Many people were complaining about the vegetables but as I like mine al-dente I had no complaints.

We have decided that this was our last cruise on Ventura because of our dis-satisfaction with service in the MDR and with the cabin steward. I really think that for some reason Ventura staff do not appear to be as happy and consequently are less engaged than on the other ship's. The final straw was really very minor in that on my birthday the cabin steward took down my birthday cards whilst we were at breakfast so I stood them up again when we returned but he had taken them down again when he came into the cabin again later.

I was also on this cruise, my first on Ventura. We have another booked next year and there is no thought of cancelling it. I thought the service in MDR was good both at breakfast and for first sitting club dining. Our steward was unobtrusive and did a good job, rarely did we return from breakfast to find our cabin had not been cleaned. We gave waiters and steward a small extra tip in addition to the auto gratuities because they deserved it. Your birthday card comment seems a little odd and I can understand your disappointment.

I thought the quality of the food in the MDR was quite good although I agree that there were some weird choices. I must say though that the salt and vinegar ice cream wasn't as bad as it sounds! I think the menus are becoming too 'cheffy' which is not good and they are trying too hard to be clever. Getting back to basics would help. I am not a great fan of vegetables but have to say that with many meals, there were too few. A small dish of vegetables on the table, little real need for different vegetables for different dishes, would be better. I often found myself choosing my main course based on selection of potatoes and veg offered rather than the meat/fish.

I think Ventura is a good ship with a lot of facilities and decent evening entertainment. Our cabin was very good and public areas seem to be well looked after. Booking on her is not a mistake.

I was also on this cruise, my first on Ventura. We have another booked next year and there is no thought of cancelling it. I thought the service in MDR was good both at breakfast and for first sitting club dining. Our steward was unobtrusive and did a good job, rarely did we return from breakfast to find our cabin had not been cleaned. We gave waiters and steward a small extra tip in addition to the auto gratuities because they deserved it. Your birthday card comment seems a little odd and I can understand your disappointment.

I thought the quality of the food in the MDR was quite good although I agree that there were some weird choices. I must say though that the salt and vinegar ice cream wasn't as bad as it sounds! I think the menus are becoming too 'cheffy' which is not good and they are trying too hard to be clever. Getting back to basics would help. I am not a great fan of vegetables but have to say that with many meals, there were too few. A small dish of vegetables on the table, little real need for different vegetables for different dishes, would be better. I often found myself choosing my main course based on selection of potatoes and veg offered rather than the meat/fish.

I think Ventura is a good ship with a lot of facilities and decent evening entertainment. Our cabin was very good and public areas seem to be well looked after. Booking on her is not a mistake.

We got around the vegetable problem by requesting extra vegetables each evening, we got a bowl with broccoli (personal favourite veg), celeriac, roasted carrots & parsnips which we enjoyed and extra peas & beans which we did not need because they appeared with most meals. I agree that the entertainment was on the whole good. This was the first time that we did not tip extra to the cabin steward. This was our 5th Ventura cruise and a great disappointment, we will continue to cruise with P&O, just not on Ventura, we are looking forward to.our next cruise in August on Azura.

We all have different experiences and expectations, I expect that many people will have thought this cruise to be wonderful but our experience was poor compared to all of our previous cruises.

Got off the Ventura today after an excellent cruise to Spain, Portugal and France. I'll try and write a full review later in the week but as this thread has focused on the food, I'll just say that we were very impressed. We dined inn the Cinnamon restaurant each night and every meal was faultless, as was the service. And the salt and vinegar ice cream was delicious! If I had a gripe, it would be about the breakfast buffet bun fight where passengers were pushing and shoving and running to get their breakfast and find a table. Better organisation is needed here. Other than that, no complaints about the food - and I certainly didn't hear of any either.

Got off the Ventura today after an excellent cruise to Spain, Portugal and France. I'll try and write a full review later in the week but as this thread has focused on the food, I'll just say that we were very impressed. We dined inn the Cinnamon restaurant each night and every meal was faultless, as was the service. And the salt and vinegar ice cream was delicious! If I had a gripe, it would be about the breakfast buffet bun fight where passengers were pushing and shoving and running to get their breakfast and find a table. Better organisation is needed here. Other than that, no complaints about the food - and I certainly didn't hear of any either.

That's great to hear. Did you have any lunch and dinner in the buffet? That was one of the biggest gripes about food on the Ventura. And in the Cinnamon restaurant,one evening, did you order their special dessert, their "Eight Layers Molten Chocolate Cake" - and did it come only in two layers? Looking forward to read your comments. Hopefully, P&O might have done something to improve their catering after our previous comments online. That's encouraging.

We didn't have dinner in the buffet but did have lunch there. As we always had a large cooked breakfast our lunch was generally light so can't comment too much on the quality. There always seemed to be plenty of choice of food there though. As for the chocolate cake you mention, I don't remember seeing that on the menu. Desserts were definitely the weakest part of the dinner service, though, so I always asked for both a dessert and cheese. Their Stilton was delicious!

I was recently on Ventura and a new executive chef came on board while we were in Madeira on 17th March.

He was present when they did the Behind the scenes tour and he struck me as a hard no nonsense guy from UK. Noticed a couple of days later that the waiters were calling him 'sir'.

Don't know if any of the comments in the previous posts are pre or post this change of head chef.

I only used the buffet once and it was OK for me