Rome Hotel Question/Transfers

molemaui

We will be arriving in Rome a coupe days early and plan on staying at a Marriott or Hilton property. (free) What is the best way to get from the airport to Rome and then Rome to the pier? Windstar seemed to say that if I don't purchase the hotel from them, I can't get the transfers since I'm coming in early.

Also, are these good hotel choices location wise or should I just use the "recommended" hotels through Windstar and avoid the transfer hassles?

thanks!

Correct in that you cannot get Windstar transfer without staying at their hotel. I would not let that stop me from staying at the hotel of my choice. The hotel can arrange a transfer or you can make arrangements easily online.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Likewise, I have never known there were exceptions made for using the transfer 'to' the ship unless you actually bought the pre-cruise package. But they do offer the transfer 'after' the cruise onboard during the cruise.

Getting a transfer from the airport to Civitavecchia is easy to arrange online - not so easy from a hotel (or at least not very reasonably priced).

Depending on where you want to stay, you need to check out the distance from the sites in Rome and accessibility to them. The Hilton Garden is very close to the airport and may have some type of system to get you into Rome. You could then go back to airport to get a shuttle @ 70 euros.

I am staying at the Hilton Airport (actually connected to airport - but quite expensive) and catching a transport from airport the next day.

We have used the train from the Rome downtown station to and from the airport. It is convenient if your hotel is closeby or a short taxi ride away. We have used a WS hotel in Rome and their transportation both ways. If you are going to be in Rome and departing on WS you should be able to buy their transfer but it will be from whatever hotel they are using. We have done this numerous times in several locations. Also we have stayed at one of their hotels but made our own reservation and saved $$ and still bought the WS transfer!

The airport Hilton has scheduled shuttle service (free) to downtown Rome. Since you are able to stay free at that Hilton I would suggest you do so, travel at no cost to and from Rome via their shuttle and make your way to Civitavecchia using a taxi or whatever Hilton can offer.

Have a wonderful time in and around Rome and, of course, on Windstar!

Your response from WS probably is because you asked for a transfer from the airport. That they would not be willing to do. However, as others have said, I believe that they will sell a transfer from Rome to the port. You would need to get to their hotel at the proper time for the transfer. I would personally forget about the WS transfer. It tends to be very expensive and you can find a limo service that will be much cheaper. In the past, we have used Bob's Limo to take us from our Rome hotel to the port and from the airport to the hotel. Never had an issue. Believe the charge for the hotel to the port is about $70 euros for 2 people. There have been many reviews on CC about Bob's.

As for hotels, I would strongly suggest using a Marriott. They are much more convenient than the Hiltons. In addition, depending on when you are going, you might be able to stay at one of the SPG properties. The Marriott / SPG merger should happen as soon as the Chinese approve it and I am sure that Marriott will act rapidly to allow transfer of points between the two programs.

Edited by lovecruisingtoo

I know the OP is looking for Marriott or Hilton, but for others I can vouch for the UNA Termini hotel. 30 seconds from Termini - out the door toward the left and one block straight on. Beautiful hotel and very quiet. Spring for a terrace room and the there is a rate that includes Internet, minibar and breakfast, which is delicious. One night we made dinner from their EU7 drink and buffet happy hour. I'm posting from there now. Since both Metro lines serve Termini you have great transport anywhere in Rome and the Leonardo Express takes you from the airport right to Termini and bookable online. If you want to see Rome by bus virtually all the central routes leave from right outside Termini as well.

To get to Rome from the ship we booked with http://www.romelimocab.com and it was EU69 for the 2 of us in a shared van that took us right to the hotel. They have service in either direction. This is much less than WS charges.

Staying in the city would be best if you can find the room you want for free. From the airport to the city takes 35 minutes to an hour depending on how you go (cab or train). You will enjoy the city a great deal more if you don't have to transfer back and forth each day.

Getting to the port (from 1-1 1/2 hours, can be done by private transfer, shared transfer, or train (cheapest) from Termini station (or a few others). Train requires a long walk with luggage or you can take a cab to the port bus stop- where you will transferred to the ship. Most are cheaper than Windstar direct, private transfer being fairly close from my experience.

From a cost & ease of transfer basis the rome limo cab shared at $69 milepig recommended would likely be best. The train is under $20 for 2 plus a little for the cab, but you due have to haul your luggage to from and in the train stations.

Can one arrange a transfer while onboard the ship from the Civitavecchia Port to a non-Windstar hotel, or does one have to book privately?

Thanks

Why would anyone not book privately? WS will be at least twice the going rate.

The Hilton at the airport has a free shuttle into Rome. When we stayed there in June 2016, the shuttle departed every 2 hours.

We booked a car service to and from the port via Rome Cabs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can one arrange a transfer while onboard the ship from the Civitavecchia Port to a non-Windstar hotel, or does one have to book privately?

Thanks

If you are talking about a WS transfer, the answer is no. Even before the trip they will not transfer to a non-Windstar hotel. Your best bet is to go ahead and book a transfer before you leave.

For some new cruisers, it might be useful to outline how arrival and departure works.

Departure: if you use a WS transfer they'll meet you at the airport or a WS hotel and put your bags in the coach. At most ports that's the last you'll see them until your cabin. At some ports you'll need to clear customs with them. If arriving on your own by shuttle or taxi or on foot a WS agent will take them from you and add them to the pile of bags. You'll then board ship. You can keep carryons with you and in most ports there will be airport style security. So, the only difference in using a WS transfer is that an agent will greet you and take the luggage from you. We like pre-booked shuttles/limos as they'll also greet you outside baggage claim and help with the bags at both the airport and the port for a fraction of the WS price.

Arrival: the day before arrival you'll get a form asking your dis embarcation plans - flight info, WS tranfer, independent, etc. you'll they get color coded tags for the luggage the night before arrival. The next morning they'll call groups by color and the independent bags go out with the first group so you can get off whenever you want. They'll be ship side on the dock and you collect them and go. A WS transfer will be called by color group at a specific time.