Driving from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale

The bubble

If you choose the East Coast, St. Augustine is a great place to stop. There is a lot of history, an Alligator Farm, an outlet mall, a great beach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi cbelc53857139,

Thanks for responding. I looked into St. Augustine, but it is further to Ft. Lauderdale that Ft. Pierce. Want to do the majority of the driving the first day, but thanks for your suggestion.

Looking for inexpensive because we are footing the cost of this cruise for our daughter's family and trying to keep expenses down with the extra's. All advise is welcome.

Thank you.

We are in ATL as well. I calculated that flying Spirit one way from ATL to FLL for 6 of us ($109 each) and renting a minivan on the way back (7 passenger minivan, $218 total price, unlimited mileage) is within $100 of renting a minivan and driving ATL-FLL-ATL because we'd need 2 hotel rooms half way to FL. So, we are flying to and driving back from FLL. On the way back we won't need a hotel and we don't have to be home by 1-2 pm either.

P.S. We are footing the bill for all of our parents...

We are in ATL as well. I calculated that flying Spirit one way from ATL to FLL for 6 of us ($109 each) and renting a minivan on the way back (7 passenger minivan, $218 total price, unlimited mileage) is within $100 of renting a minivan and driving ATL-FLL-ATL because we'd need 2 hotel rooms half way to FL. So, we are flying to and driving back from FLL. On the way back we won't need a hotel and we don't have to be home by 1-2 pm either.

P.S. We are footing the bill for all of our parents...

Sounds like a great idea except we are 8 with luggage and spirit charges for check in and carry on luggage and we would have to rent a larger van and all the luggage probably wouldn't fit in.

Great suggestion, just don't think it will work for us.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Sounds like a great idea except we are 8 with luggage and spirit charges for check in and carry on luggage and we would have to rent a larger van and all the luggage probably wouldn't fit in.

Great suggestion, just don't think it will work for us.

Thank you for your suggestion.

yes, I prepaid for 4 suitcases on Spirit already. We flew with them last year - they had reasonable fares, even with $30 per suitcase. Checking in online is free, and we didn't get charged for printing boarding passes on the way back after a cruise (I checked in on the phone, but printed boarding passes at the airport).

My friend sends her elderly parents on the plane, while she, DH and 2 kids drive to and from FLL. That way they keep costs down (by not renting), while accommodating the elders. My DH hates driving for more than 6 hours, but he hates paying $2,000+ for flights more.

If you keep checking Spirit and Southwest every day, you may be pleasantly surprised by the fares. They have sales all the time, but you gotta catch it. Last year SW had $78 each way ATL-FLL during thanksgiving. Those fares sold out within an hour. Good luck! Oh, and since they allow one way fares, sometimes it's worth flying in on one airlines, and flying back on another.

yes, I prepaid for 4 suitcases on Spirit already. We flew with them last year - they had reasonable fares, even with $30 per suitcase. Checking in online is free, and we didn't get charged for printing boarding passes on the way back after a cruise (I checked in on the phone, but printed boarding passes at the airport).

My friend sends her elderly parents on the plane, while she, DH and 2 kids drive to and from FLL. That way they keep costs down (by not renting), while accommodating the elders. My DH hates driving for more than 6 hours, but he hates paying $2,000+ for flights more.

If you keep checking Spirit and Southwest every day, you may be pleasantly surprised by the fares. They have sales all the time, but you gotta catch it. Last year SW had $78 each way ATL-FLL during thanksgiving. Those fares sold out within an hour. Good luck! Oh, and since they allow one way fares, sometimes it's worth flying in on one airlines, and flying back on another.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Yes, we were thinking of just my husband and myself flying and the others driving, but right now the airfare is still over $400pp. It is Easter week so may not come down, but will continue checking at least once daily.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Yes, we were thinking of just my husband and myself flying and the others driving, but right now the airfare is still over $400pp. It is Easter week so may not come down, but will continue checking at least once daily.

Fly down and make the other schlep 10 hours in the car? Love it. Sounds like something I would do. I'd fly first class, too.

When we drive we go from Cobb County to Ocala. Then hop on the turnpike next day. The Park n' Fly lot has shuttle service to Port Everglades. With a coupon off their website you can park much more cheaply than at the post deck.

You have been a great help to us. Just booked Lake Ida Beach Resort in Winter Haven. Do you know anything about this place? They are cabins and the reviews look ok.

Thank you very much for all your help. I am printing it all out.

I live in Winter Haven and know the Lake Ida Beach Resort very well. The owners are very nice people. It's a mom and pop type of resort located on a lake adjacent to Cypress Gardens Boulevard. It features kitchenettes, suite-style accommodations and has screened porches overlooking the lake. An IHOP is within walking distance and there are lots of restaurants along CGB.

An alternative to getting to Ft. Lauderdale from that location is to take Hwy. 27 south to Lake Wales. Exit to State Road 60 heading east to the Florida Turnpike. The Turnpike (toll road) will take you to the exit for Port Everglades. If you want to avoid tolls, Hwy. 60 will take you to I-95 South, which will also take you to Port Everglades.

Enjoy your cruise!

I live in Winter Haven and know the Lake Ida Beach Resort very well. The owners are very nice people. It's a mom and pop type of resort located on a lake adjacent to Cypress Gardens Boulevard. It features kitchenettes, suite-style accommodations and has screened porches overlooking the lake. An IHOP is within walking distance and there are lots of restaurants along CGB.

An alternative to getting to Ft. Lauderdale from that location is to take Hwy. 27 south to Lake Wales. Exit to State Road 60 heading east to the Florida Turnpike. The Turnpike (toll road) will take you to the exit for Port Everglades. If you want to avoid tolls, Hwy. 60 will take you to I-95 South, which will also take you to Port Everglades.

Enjoy your cruise!

60 is a 2 lane highway, I couldn't imagine a worse way to traverse the state only to get on the turnpike for more punishment! Why wouldn't you just take US27 straight down? Other than a few towns that slow you down for 5 minutes, it's easy cruising on US27 with virtually no traffic, stuff to look at, and multiple lanes. I prefer taking US27 to Disney as well. It's within 20 minutes of the turnpike, saves $20 in tolls, and far less traffic and headaches.

If we fly and our kids drive, I will let them decide the route they will take. With 4 kids, I imagine they will want the quickest route.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

If we all drive, then we will probably stay at the Hampton Inn in Ft. Pierce since that is much closer to Ft. Lauderdale than Orlando.

Hi Molme,

Another good suggestion to check out. Thank you very much.

That's a 10+ hour drive. I like the hotels right off the interstate on Exit 170, Port Charlotte. It's not quite as far south as Ft. Myers.

That's a 10+ hour drive. I like the hotels right off the interstate on Exit 170, Port Charlotte. It's not quite as far south as Ft. Myers.

Any suggestions on decent hotels in the area? I am not familiar at all with that area. Just looking for clean hotels, nothing fancy.

Sleep Inn, La Quinta, Country Inn and Suites, Hampton Inn. They are all nice and not too pricey.

Thank you. Was just checking prices for those hotels and refundable rooms are running around $200.00 per room. This is for the Friday of Easter weekend so I guess they have jacked up the prices. Just too expensive for the budget, but thank you anyhow.

U am so dorry! I con fused Lk. Ida with the Lake Roy Resort. So glad you changed your plans! Have a blessed day and fabulous cruise!

Yes, I just didn't have good vibes with Lake Ida. I know we will have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you very much.

Why not consider the Lake Roy resort? Looks to be well under $100/night and again, if you drive 27, you'll save an additional $20 in tolls. If you are budget conscious, this seems to be the way to go.

Why not consider the Lake Roy resort? Looks to be well under $100/night and again, if you drive 27, you'll save an additional $20 in tolls. If you are budget conscious, this seems to be the way to go.

I have read some reviews that said the cabins were damp and some mold and some of my grandchildren have asthma and bad allergies and I am afraid that it wouldn't be good for them to take a chance.

Your best bet is to stay away from the beaches, more inland. Watch reviews, too, as you don't want to stay in a roach motel. Also, use any standard discounts like AAA. It's far enough from Easter to be able to find a reasonable price. I would look near St. Augustine and head down the East Coast.

Your best bet is to stay away from the beaches, more inland. Watch reviews, too, as you don't want to stay in a roach motel. Also, use any standard discounts like AAA. It's far enough from Easter to be able to find a reasonable price. I would look near St. Augustine and head down the East Coast.

Thank you for the advice. We use the AARP discount. I will also look into St. Augustine as well. We are looking at staying at a Hampton Inn in Fort Pierce presently, but am open to other areas as well. I think St. Augustine is still 4-4.5 hours from Ft. Lauderdale and was looking for only 4 hours or less away.