Taking Alcohol onboard - again

gismo1554

So someone posted on a thread on here saying that the alcohol policy change had been changed back to what it was and although I asked for clarity I didn't get it so thought I would start a thread. I read the alcohol policy above and this states as I thought that no hard liquor can be taken onboard as of last September. Is this the case or is this not the case?

Before I believed it, I'd demand a dated statement from DCL. I've tried a couple of searches and I can't find anything that indicates there has been a change to the policy.

Whether the written policy is being enforced at the port is perhaps a different issue. But if a guest brings something that is not permitted, it will be confiscated and held at the terminal until their return. Can you bring something and not have it "caught?" Certainly. But that's not a policy change.

It is easy to find the "old" policy on line--perhaps that is where the confusion is coming from.

Edited by moki'smommy

So someone posted on a thread on here saying that the alcohol policy change had been changed back to what it was and although I asked for clarity I didn't get it so thought I would start a thread. I read the alcohol policy above and this states as I thought that no hard liquor can be taken onboard as of last September. Is this the case or is this not the case?

I think you misunderstood in that other thread.

For someone who hasn't sailed since 2013, they have "put back" or reduced the amount of alcohol you can bring. It may not have been worded the best but I think that person was trying to let them know that there was a change to the alcohol policy.

I think you misunderstood in that other thread.

For someone who hasn't sailed since 2013, they have "put back" or reduced the amount of alcohol you can bring. It may not have been worded the best but I think that person was trying to let them know that there was a change to the alcohol policy.

Quite possibly. I wasn't 100% sure whether it meant reduced or they had reinstated the old policy which was what confused me! I had assumed the policy hadn't been rescinded was but was living in hope :D

Thanks both

Edited by gismo1554

Are you allowed to bring bottle beer onboard or does it have to be cans? I love Carib beer and would like to purchase some to drink after stopping at our first stop.

It can be in whatever container you wish. The requirements for bring beer onboard are: for each person 21 and over - 6 beers, with a maximum size of 12 oz for each one.

As long as you bring only 6, and they are no larger than 12 oz each, you're good.

Are you allowed to bring bottle beer onboard or does it have to be cans? I love Carib beer and would like to purchase some to drink after stopping at our first stop.

I'm not sure where your first stop is, but if you are going to be in St. Thomas and don't mind walking a bit, there's a gas station/deli/convenience store up Rumer Rd. toward K-Mart that has slightly better prices than the liquor stores in Havensight Mall. I enjoyed the walk, to be honest. It was nice to get away from most of the cruise ship denizens and walk where mostly locals walk.

• 2 weeks later...
It is the case. if you bring aboard hard liquor they are supposed to confiscate it. Will they actually do it? Don't know.

I have read reports that the do in ports definitely. It is then picked up at the end of the cruise.

I just got off the Wonder yesterday and there were loads of people picking up their liquor at the port as they left the ship. I think it is the same as printed above.

It is the case. if you bring aboard hard liquor they are supposed to confiscate it. Will they actually do it? Don't know.

Well someone has testified above that they do!

ex techie

I'm confused. In the DCL embarkation booklet, it says you can bring the alcohol (six pack or 2 wines) as long as its packed in your checked luggage. It goes on to say that any alcohol brought on board in checked luggage will be confiscated and returned at the end of your cruise.

So what's the point of bringing any on if they're going to hold it and not allow you to drink it?

Can someone please 'splain it to me? Thanks.

I'm confused. In the DCL embarkation booklet, it says you can bring the alcohol (six pack or 2 wines) as long as its packed in your checked luggage. It goes on to say that any alcohol brought on board in checked luggage will be confiscated and returned at the end of your cruise.

So what's the point of bringing any on if they're going to hold it and not allow you to drink it?

Here is the policy. Bolding is mine.

Prohibited Items – Frequently Asked Questions

Q.

Are Guests allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board the ship?

A.

Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

Guests wishing to consume wine or champagne that they have brought on board in one of the dining rooms will be charged a corking fee of $25.00 per bottle.

Please note:

Any alcohol packed in checked luggage will be removed and stored until the end of the cruise.

Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers will be stored until the end of the cruise.

Bringing liquors and spirits (including powdered alcohol) on board is prohibited. These items will be stored until the end of the cruise.

Guest MUST retrieve any stored alcohol at the end of the cruise. Items not retrieved will be destroyed and no compensation will be offered.

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/carrying-alcohol-onboard/

ex techie

It shouldn't say checked luggage it should say if its packed in your carry on luggage. Anything brought in in checked is confiscated but if you carry it in your carry on luggage then they don't take it. I'm thinking this must be a typo