Onboard Star Breeze in Costa Rica and Panama

Erica@cruisecritic

So far on this trip we've only used zodiacs -- with at least one wet landing. I'll try to ask if that's because of shallow water or broken tenders...not sure if they'll tell me.

I love zodiacs, and wet landings! Sounds fun. That was one of the, many, things we liked about our Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos.

I think they use the zodiacs in CR because of the local conditions. Very few opportunities to dock, so small docks and wet landings, and probably not related to the condition of the tenders.

We did CR on the Wind Spirit a few years back. Can't wait to visit again on the Breeze in March.

I love zodiacs, and wet landings! Sounds fun. That was one of the, many, things we liked about our Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos.

Yes, wet landings are the best. :) We went to the Galapagos on NatGeo. Awesome.

Hi Erica. We will be on the Star Breeze in a couple of weeks. Can you provide any insight on the difference, if any, between the 3 hour and 2 1/2 hour hikes in Corcovado National Park-other than the obvious that one is a 1/2 hour longer. We are curious whether they hike in different areas or any other differences. Thanks

Milepig, I hope you were able to rebook! We have several people on our cruise who were originally on Star Pride.

Ericstat, my understanding is the Corcovado National Park Nature Walk (which I did) actually takes you in to the national park. It's a flat walk, but the footing can be slick/precarious (roots, wooden planks, etc.). It goes through the rainforest and then back on the beach. We saw howler monkeys and scarlet macaws. The guide said it would likely be super-hot in the coming months and not very likely to see many animals on a morning hike because it would be too hot. Not sure when you're going or how true that is.

The Biological Bridge hike (the shorter option) goes to a different location, and I believe it's not technically in the National Park borders. It does involve a walk across a hanging bridge. The one person I talked to wasn't overly impressed, but I don't know how reliable that is. I believe both end on beaches with chances to take a dip.

I can tell you that the National Park tour sold out on my trip, and people who wanted to go couldn't get on. If I hear more, I will post again.

Erica, I'd like to hear some feedback about the activities in Golfo Dulce, and how much aquatic life passengers actually see in the area from the boats. We are thinking about doing the botanical garden tour at this point.

MJC -- We did the dolphin watch tour in Golfo Dulce and saw a ridiculous number of dolphins, a sea turtle, pelicans and other seabirds, and a venomous sea snake. That said, we saw two dolphins on the zodiac ride from shore to ship, and scarlet macaws nest in the trees a 30-second walk from where the zodiac drops you off.

People had good things to say about the botanical gardens. Also, of our three ports in Costa Rica, this was the only day we were able to use the watersports marina (because the seas were previously too choppy).

Ericstat -- More info for you!

There is a third Corcovado tour -- the Deep Inside tour. What happens is the national park allows the cruise ship a certain number of spots for people to come into the park, to keep numbers down to protect the area. So depending on the week, Star Breeze can run one, two or three different Corcovado tours.

The Deep Inside tour was not offered on our sailing. It's the most strenuous of the three, possibly with more scrambling and rougher terrain. It's also a smaller group -- the ship usually gets only about 10 or spots for passengers.

It leaves from the same place as the National Park Nature Walk tour that I did, and from a wildlife standpoint, you have the same chance to see the same birds and animals. It will just be rougher going and slightly longer. Hope that helps!

Thank you, Erica. How long was the dolphin watch boat ride, and did you get to do a beach stop? I am interested in this excursion as well, I am just a bit concerned about how much time we would be in the sun with no way to escape. :)

Hi MJC -- the dolphin watch tour was 4 hours. You're in a covered catamaran, so it's not quite as brutal as it could be in the hot sun. There is a beach stop at the end, with iced tea and fruit, but depending on which beach they pick, there's anywhere from a little shade to no shade. Honestly, the biggest concern was the lack of bathrooms.

Vacation?! Bwahahaha. It was a working trip. And I'm always happy to help.

We saw Star Pride when it was docked outside the canal. I missed passing the ship in the canal (was inside eating dinner), as no one let me know it was there until I came out and saw photos another traveler took. Wah!

To answer more questions:

Ports were Quepos, Bahia Drake, Golfo Dulce, Isla de Coiba and Fuerte Amador. In every port, we used zodiacs. No docking, no tenders. Several wet landings on beaches. Bring appropriate footwear!

Weather is hot and humid. As in, change your shirt multiple times a day humid. Wicking fabrics are best. Don't expect you can wear the same outfit multiple times without washing as you will sweat.

The gym has 3 treadmills, two stationary bikes, a few resistance machines, some free weights and a stability ball or two. If you are 6 feet tall or taller, you will hit your head when using the treadmills. The ship also rocks quite a bit, which makes exercising more of a challenge.

Lunch, for sure, is available embarkation day at Veranda. I believe they offered extended hours, too.

Debarkation was 7:30 to 8:30 am in Colon. However, this is Panama, and the people with 7:30 am tags didn't get to debark until nearly 8 am because officials were still stamping passports. We were the 7:45 am group -- not sure when we actually departed but we were at the airport by 9:30 or 10.

The canal transit seems to occur whenever the Panamanian officials and traffic allow. We entered the canal around 7 pm with first locks at 8-ish. Our daily schedule said we were supposed to enter at 3 pm with first locks around 4/4:30, and the last tender from Fuerte Amador was 11:30 so we hung out in the harbor all day. I think there's pretty much no way to know in advance when you'll get in, so plan to be surprised and don't hold out hope for daylight. This seems to be the general rule in Panama; don't set your heart on anything because you have to go with the flow.

Erica,

Will be taking same trip in March, and was wondering if we are able to take our own morning tour in Quepos since they are not using tenders? Thinking of the Segway tour which leaves from the Quepos marina. Also, are there options for private tours in Bahia Drake and Golfo Dulce or are they just beach landings with the Zodiac.

Thanks!

Jeff