Taxi to North Cape from Honnigsvag

I can't help you with the taxi since I had read it was extremely expensive so I didn't follow up on it. There is a bus in town that you can take round trip. But hopefully someone will come forward with taxi information for you.

I can't help you with the taxi since I had read it was extremely expensive so I didn't follow up on it. There is a bus in town that you can take round trip. But hopefully someone will come forward with taxi information for you.

Can you tell me more about the bus? Thank you

How can I book a taxi in advance to go to North Cape.

Where do you want the taxi to transport you at this Honnigsvag location?? To the North Cape?? How long to stay there, etc.?? Why am I asking? From our experiences at Honnigsvag and along the scenic Norway coast as detailed below on my live/blog, we had to do lots of research for here on our options.

We ended up reserving a rental car, going north to see their famed bird island, having a boat charter to take us there, etc. There are two main challenges to consider at Honnigsvag.

1. Their logistical options are very, very limited there in this small, somewhat isolated town. We do not remember seeing any taxi cabs around or available. There is a bus that can take people up to the North Cape Hall, but it can get full quick, depending on the size and number of cruise ships in port for that day or evening.

2. Weather can be a big "wild card". Our trip and adventure to the bird island to see the puffins, etc., started with wonderful, super sunny weather. BUT, then the fog came in and we had to scrub our planned travel up to the North Cape Hall and its viewing site. No visibility and it would have been impossible to have done much, if anything, up there had we driven in that direction.

Here is their local tourism website:

http://www.nordkapp.no/en/

Nothing on this resource reflects local taxi service being possible. There is information there for a bus to the North Cape and rental car potentials.

Below are a few of my visuals from this port stop to illustrate certain options and potentials that we enjoyed. What other town are you visiting during this adventure? Stopping at wonderful Lofoten Islands? Let us know any other questions. Good luck!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 177,106 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

After getting our rental car in Honningvag, the store clerk mentioned in passing a warning of “Watch out of the reindeer.” Just casually saying it. Sure. Maybe, we’ll see some in the distance. Two or three, maybe!? On the way to Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was a small part of the large herd of reindeer we discovered on the way to our boat charter. They believed that all of this territory, including the road, belong to them. The young baby reindeer were especially cute!:

BirdRockReindeerOnRoad.jpg

Going down into Gjesvaer, near the North Cape, here was a harbor scene/mountain scene. At the bottom right are some of the wooden fish drying racks.:

NorthCapeTownMtnHarbor.jpg

Sailing from the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, this is the first of many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

This shows a huge colony of sea gulls along the rocks and deep into the large opening in the side of the mountain that is this bird island.:

BirdRockGullColony.jpg

Here is the view as we were sailing into Honningsvag. Nice town and area, but not as dramatic and interesting as are the other areas that will take a rental car or ship tour to visit and experience.:

HonnOverallPortSailInView_zps08b30a72.jpg

Here is one view of the North Cape as we approached on our cruise ship and the clouds started to clear and the sun broke through showing a great blue sky. The ship did a full 360-degree rotation to allow all on the ship, whether on the top deck as we were or in their rooms on both sides, to be able to see this wonderful spectacle of the North Cape after our port stop at Honningsvag.:

NorthCapeShipTurning.jpg

I have the other places clear as to what we wanted to do. People on our roll (which is quite slow) have taxis reserved and the price is good. However I have not heard back regarding my question about how and who they reserved. I thought I would post here for a faster answer. Your pictures are beautiful. Thank you

I have the other places clear as to what we wanted to do. People on our roll (which is quite slow) have taxis reserved and the price is good. However I have not heard back regarding my question about how and who they reserved. I thought I would post here for a faster answer. Your pictures are beautiful. Thank you

Appreciate your quick follow-up and nice comments on my pictures. Not sure how and/or if these others really have taxis reserved. My guess is that they have a ticket on a "coach" or bus. This is a very, very small town with a short tourism season that is not loaded with the "infrastructure" to deal with the numbers that hit there during the cruise ship visits. This port is not like what many expect compared to what they have done in the Caribbean and/or Med.

Keep research and planning!! Look over my live/blog. Let us know your exact ports you will be visiting. What are your top interests and desires to see and do during this cruise??? Tell us more. Happy to answer any added questions or needs.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 106,800 views for this posting.

Can you tell me more about the bus? Thank you

I never know if they allow us to put web pages out here but if you google "North Cape Express", you should be able to get information about it. Since it sounds like your first choice is Taxi, I do hope you get the information you need on that.

Thanks to TLCOhio, I found link to Nordkapp Express Bus to Nordkapp. We're on the 11:45 am bus to the North Cape. Price of 590 NOK (per person) includes bus fare, entrance to the North Cape Hall, film etc. Bus departs from the center of Honningsvag at the Tourist Information Center. Much cheaper than HAL's excursion!

Forgot to say, we're doing this on June 24th when Prinsendam in Honningsvag.

If you decide to book it, click on either Master Card or VISA & after agreeing to their terms, continue scrolling til you see place to enter CC information. It threw me at first....where do I enter my info?

Thanks to TLCOhio, I found link to Nordkapp Express Bus to Nordkapp. We're on the 11:45 am bus to the North Cape. Price of 590 NOK (per person) includes bus fare, entrance to the North Cape Hall, film etc. Bus departs from the center of Honningsvag at the Tourist Information Center. Much cheaper than HAL's excursion!

Appreciate the follow-up and glad to hear that things have worked out for our Eastern Tenn. neighbor in booking your "adventure" up to the North Cape. Just wanted to plug in for those interested in wildlife to consider the visit to the small fishing village of Gjesvaer, about 22 miles NW of Honningsvaag. Whether doing this DIY as we did or by a ship charter, some of the sights can be amazing. Below are a couple more of my visuals samples. Plus, one from near the Tourist Info Center.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 198,750 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

You can find this town's tourism office right next to this fun and cute troll statute where my wife and our friend, Janet, are posing.:

HonnTourismOfficeStatute_zpsf12be66f.jpg

In the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was the harbor scene as we had our picnic at an open table before going on our charter boat to the bird rock areas. That tree trunk/limbs shown didn't actually grow there. It was brought in and placed there. This far north, nothing major grows and the land areas are very much a type of tundra. Extremely interesting and beautiful area!:

NorCapeHarborTree.jpg

We found five seals on this rock. They slid off of the rock, into the water and then peaked their heads up to say "HI" to us.:

BirdRockSealRock.jpg

These are some of these Cormorant black birds at their perching area on this island.:

BirdRockBlackBirds.jpg

Appreciate the follow-up and glad to hear that things have worked out for our Eastern Tenn. neighbor in booking your "adventure" up to the North Cape. Just wanted to plug in for those interested in wildlife to consider the visit to the small fishing village of Gjesvaer, about 22 miles NW of Honningsvaag. Whether doing this DIY as we did or by a ship charter, some of the sights can be amazing. Below are a couple more of my visuals samples. Plus, one from near the Tourist Info Center.

Terry,

Love seeing your photos!

Which bird safari did you book? There are 2 companies. We have booked the Stappan cruise (Aurora) from Gysaevar and if it was this one, looks like it was a great trip! DH is a photographer and loves to capture the birds. Sometimes I have to remind him to put the camera down just watch and enjoy!

Looked a bit chilly there..what month did you travel to Honningsvag?

Edited by pmjnh

Terry, Love seeing your photos! Which bird safari did you book? There are 2 companies. We have booked the Stappan cruise (Aurora) from Gysaevar and if it was this one, looks like it was a great trip! DH is a photographer and loves to capture the birds. Sometimes I have to remind him to put the camera down just watch and enjoy! Looked a bit chilly there..what month did you travel to Honningsvag?

Appreciate your kind comments on my photography! Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

We were there in July, right around the time when you will be there in Honningsvag, Norway, on July 10, 2015.

Yes, you are booked with the same boat/firm that we used for our "adventure". Our Captain was super, excellent for doing a 90-minute tour. It was scheduled for only sixty minutes, but we got more. His boat had a capacity of eight persons, was a 27-feet size and was propelled by 222-horse power engine with thrusters to get closer to the rocks of this protected island where humans are not allowed. We had special “polar suits” to protect against the cold and wind. It was not too cold, but we needed these warmer suits they provided when out on the water that far north. From my notes for much of these area, the outdoor temperatures were around the mid 50'sF during our time there. It was daylight 24/7 during the summers there. To be honest, weather is a “crap shoot” here. We were lucky, very fortunate! And happy. Good luck with your adventure.

Below are a few more visuals from our visit there to help build up your excitement.

Keep your good questions rolling along. Happy to share more. As I understand your cruise departs from Harwich/United Kingdom on Sunday, July 5, 2015. You will have stops in the wonderful Norway towns of Alesund, Trondheim, Tromso, Molde, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen. We did all of these stops, except Molde. Too bad your cruise does not visit the Lofoten Islands. That location is super wonderful. Check out my live/blog connected below for many more details and visuals on these various port stops.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 177,355 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is a view of my wife and Janet in our small charter boat with the special warm suits they furnish to protect against the elements going out to the Bird Island.:

BirdIslandSmallBoatSuits_zpsc909474b.jpg

Here are some added examples and samples of the varied bird "action" in and around the Bird Island near Gjesvaer at the top of Europe. Lots and lots of birds with a nice range of types. This includes large groups of puffins floating in the water.:

NorthCape14A5_zps671900d8.jpg

NorthCape14A3_zps3422bc08.jpg

BirdIslandSeaOfPuffins_zpsfea01bf2.jpg

I seem to recall there is also a gas station that rents cars (a lot cheaper then a taxi). But our last visit (we have been there twice) is all too typical. We were on a HAL ship and a large majority of those on our ship booked the ship's overpriced excursion to Nordkapp. The folks who went told us when they got to the site it was so foggy they could not even see their own feet. So they went inside, saw the movie, and walked out to see the view but saw zero! On the way back they stopped in some phony tourist village (apparently the natives actually live nearby but build a fake tourist village for the buses). I think this excursion cost about $200 a person (not sure of the current cost) and nobody we met was real happy with the fog situation (which is very common).

So, there were some of us who had planned to go on our own (using the regional bus) but when we saw the weather we just stayed in the small town and did nothing. Late that afternoon we cruised out of Honninsvag and when we reached Nordkapp we made a left turn (to the West) and had a perfect seaview of Nordkapp (the fog had lifted). There were quite a few groans in the Crows Nest bar from those who had spent over $400 a couple to see nothing...and then they finally got a view from the ship :). Tis the fate of travel.

Hank

Do you remember which company and how you contacted them?

Thank you

This was the mail address:

taxi@nordkapptaxi.no

They quoted 1350 NOK

The trip was about 35 minutes one way and one hour at the Northcape area ( That was enough time for us )

The driver was very friendly and stopped also at a place where rendeers and a very old man ( he said he is a shamaan) had a station.

Maybe Rendeer and shaman are not written correct:)

This was the mail address:

taxi@nordkapptaxi.no

They quoted 1350 NOK

The trip was about 35 minutes one way and one hour at the Northcape area ( That was enough time for us )

The driver was very friendly and stopped also at a place where rendeers and a very old man ( he said he is a shamaan) had a station.

Maybe Rendeer and shaman are not written correct:)

Thank you very much. I will contact them.

• 6 months later...
I enjoyed your pictures, Terry. I was wondering how you decided on the smaller boat for your bird safari and if anyone knew if the larger touring boat would be more stable for those prone to seasickness? Thanks for any response, Lee

Appreciate your nice comments and very good follow-up questions. As you can see in the pictures below and posted previously, the waters were fairly stable while we were there near the North Cape. The major "pro/con" factors revolve around what is easier to set-up and how "personal" you want your birding/sightseeing experience to be.

Our general view is that a cruise tour can be easier to set-up and do. Just check the box and pay your money to the cruise ship folks. BUT, a more custom, DIY tour as we did can offer a more "up close" opportunity to see and do what is best for your more exact personal interests. Your choice!! We are super glad that we did what we arranged. It worked super well for us as just two couples. BUT, with weather conditions, either way, things can be a wild card at this location. You will notice it was super clear and sunny at one point, then got later to be more full of fog, etc.

Any added and/or other questions?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 33,056 views for these postings.

Here are three different views of the larger ship up near the North Cape that does tours for groups from the cruise ships. This is not a massive-sized ship, but holding up to 50 people, it clearly cannot put you as close to the "action", birds near the rocks, etc. Also, in standing on the deck, you are a higher level and not able to see the birds as "up, close and personal" compared to on a smaller boat that is nearly at the direct water level.:

Nov2015PixsA7_zpsa0aoped8.jpg

Nov2015PixsA5_zps4qew1ryv.jpg

Nov2015PixsA6_zpsryq4yxid.jpg