Disney Dream Adult Pool

djhsolara

Just off Disney Dream a few weeks ago.

We loved the adult pool and Satellite Falls...such great and relaxing areas. We wondered why they placed the adult pool in an area where "everyone" needed to walk through to get inside to the elevators, front of ship staterooms, spa, etc...really not making this area an "exclusive" adult area.

We would have thought the adult pool would have been in an area that everyone (kids, etc) didn't need to walk through. Satellite Falls was so great because it was removed from all other areas and was really exclusively adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off Disney Dream a few weeks ago.

We loved the adult pool and Satellite Falls...such great and relaxing areas. We wondered why they placed the adult pool in an area where "everyone" needed to walk through to get inside to the elevators, front of ship staterooms, spa, etc...really not making this area an "exclusive" adult area.

We would have thought the adult pool would have been in an area that everyone (kids, etc) didn't need to walk through. Satellite Falls was so great because it was removed from all other areas and was really exclusively adult.

That was a design error when the ship was designed.

While similar to what's done on the Magic class, the actual setup of the area makes it seem like more people are traveling through there.

On the Magic class the Quiet Cove pool area is set up fairly similar to a target: pool in the center; surrounded by loungers; then a railing; then a walk way; then the loungers/tables on the outside. People coming up in the forward elevator have to travel through the area to get to the family pool area aft of there, but they do so on the "outside" of the area.

On the Dream class, the walkway from the forward elevators to the family area goes right through the middle of the Quiet Cove pool area and makes it seem like a lot more people (kids) are traveling through there.

On the Magic, no one "needs" to walk thru the adult only area. They CHOOSE to go thru this area and DCL gave up trying to stop or reroute them. If you have a forward cabin and are going to a midship area (like the family pool), you can walk thru the deck that your cabin is on to the midship elevators and go up from there. It is the same distance whether you take the forward elevators and walk thru the Quiet Cove area vs. going thru on the level of your cabin or a public deck that is not an "adult only" area.

On the Dream and Fantasy, it is easier to make an argument for those concierge guests with cabins on the pool deck level.

But as noted, it is very poorly designed. It is one of the reasons that I'm convinced that DCL doesn't care about enforcing adult areas. They are pretty good about it at night but terrible during the day.

Young children walking thru with parents are usually far less problem than those without parents who may be walking, running, or skating (yes, those heelie shoes are not permitted on the ship, but who reads the prohibitions when it might interfere with your unsupervised kid's fun?)...talking quietly or screaming to a companion.

I was sitting in one of the chairs outside the Cove Cafe enjoying my book and tea when "Mr. Heelie" crashed into me! Not so much as a "Sorry."

My opinion is that it either is or is not an adult only area. DCL has obviously decided that it is not. The signs say that this area is for the enjoyment of guests 18 and over only. It doesn't add "unless you are just passing thru or need to confer with your mother or have some other good excuse." But then I'm a gritch.

Young children walking thru with parents are usually far less problem than those without parents who may be walking' date=' running, or skating (yes, those heelie shoes are not permitted on the ship, but who reads the prohibitions when it might interfere with your unsupervised kid's fun?)...talking quietly or screaming to a companion.

I was sitting in one of the chairs outside the Cove Cafe enjoying my book and tea when "Mr. Heelie" crashed into me! Not so much as a "Sorry."

My opinion is that it either is or is not an adult only area. DCL has obviously decided that it is not. The signs say that this area is for the enjoyment of guests 18 and over only. It doesn't add "unless you are just passing thru or need to confer with your mother or have some other good excuse." But then I'm a gritch.[/quote']

I agree, enforcement is key here.

We've never had an issue with a CM locating and sending away an under 18 child while in the Quiet Cove area. That would be those who try to "just sit and not bother anyone" or use the hot tubs. Our, then, 19 year old son was carded the first 5 or 6 times he was using the area until the CMs there got to know him.

Those walking through because they can't figure out how to get aft any other way, as long as they behave themselves, I don't have a problem with - on the Magic class ships. As I said the walkway there is pretty much out of the center of the area.

On the Dream class, it's much more of a problem with people (kids) walking through the middle of the area.

I've seen them fish out a 6 year old from the Quiet Cove pool and have a discussion with his "shocked" parents. Yes, I've seen them remove "just hanging out" kids.

I'm glad that children "just walking through" isn't a problem for you, or obviously for DCL. I feel that if it is designated an "adult only" area, it should be maintained as such. As an adult, I can't "just walk thru" the OC because I feel like it; why should a kid in an adult area be any different? I do understand that the physical set up is not the same, so the analogy isn't perfect, but you get the point. Frankly, this is one of the things that was turning me off of DCL before the recent price increases. My feeling is that if they are going to advertise "adult only" areas and specifically show pictures of the pool area, they need to maintain those areas as adult only.

I don't hate kids. If I choose to spend time in the family areas, (which I do sometimes) that's my choice. But according to DCL's ads, I should also have the choice of "no kid" areas beyond the nightclubs after 9 and specialty restaurants.

There weren't any issues with the kiddos trying to hang out there...it just really isn't exclusively an adult area when everyone can walk thru it. It would be the same as if everyone had to walk thru the Concierge Private Sundeck to get to the elevator. Not really an "exclusive" area when everyone needs to walk thru it.

It almost would be better if they would have put the adult pool up by the Satellite Falls and have the Concierge Sundeck elsewhere on the ship.

Oh well...I guess that's why I'm a banker and not a ship designer. [emoji6]

I've seen them fish out a 6 year old from the Quiet Cove pool and have a discussion with his "shocked" parents. Yes' date=' I've seen them remove "just hanging out" kids.

I'm glad that children "just walking through" isn't a problem for you, or obviously for DCL. I feel that if it is designated an "adult only" area, it should be maintained as such. As an adult, I can't "just walk thru" the OC because I feel like it; why should a kid in an adult area be any different? I do understand that the physical set up is not the same, so the analogy isn't perfect, but you get the point. Frankly, this is one of the things that was turning me off of DCL before the recent price increases. My feeling is that if they are going to advertise "adult only" areas and specifically show pictures of the pool area, they need to maintain those areas as adult only.

I don't hate kids. If I choose to spend time in the family areas, (which I do sometimes) that's my choice. But according to DCL's ads, I should also have the choice of "no kid" areas beyond the nightclubs after 9 and specialty restaurants.[/quote']

Oh, I agree. I was just saying, my experience, the adult areas were pretty much kept kid clear. Well, except for those "just walking through". :rolleyes: I totally get it was a design error, but they really compounded that same error on the Dream class ships.

It would be nice if DCL would take the chance and reconfigure this on the new ships. But I'm not holding out much hope.

Sadly, there's only so many ways to design a ship. Unless they put in a whole giant bank of elevators where the forward funnel is, I don't see the forward elevators going away.

There was a time when DCL designated the starboard side on the Magic as the "walk thru" side...and that was also the smoking area. I think that was done intentionally as there is no reason that anyone needs to use the adult area as a walkthru on the Magic or Wonder; it is a choice they are making to cross on the pool deck rather than the lower deck where they were located before riding the elevator up.

The parents had a fit about their kids being "forced" to walk thru the smoking area. See second sentence above--no one was being "forced" to do anything. But DCL gave up on the designation in very short order.

I agree that is is a design error on the Dream and Fantasy. I don't expect it to change, either thru design changes or attitudes. I do find it interesting that my daughter now jokes about remembering when she wasn't allowed thru "those doors."

Edited by moki'smommy

I've seen them fish out a 6 year old from the Quiet Cove pool and have a discussion with his "shocked" parents. Yes' date=' I've seen them remove "just hanging out" kids.

I don't hate kids. If I choose to spend time in the family areas, (which I do sometimes) that's my choice. But according to DCL's ads, I should also have the choice of "no kid" areas beyond the nightclubs after 9 and specialty restaurants.[/quote']

I agree with you 100%. even on the Magic that has that separation, I like to stay in the shade, which means on the outside of the circle. It's hard to get a good nap going when kids run through to the elevators. I've even seen children with adults in the Cove Cafe. Since when does 18 or older mean unless you with an adult 18 or over?