Solstice or Oosterdam for Alaska??

Cruizen Susan

Hey there, cruise buddies...

I hated to be a traitor from Celebrity, but a deal came up a few months ago for Holland America's Oosterdam, for a 7-day Seattle round trip Alaska cruise. So I booked it. Brand new to HA. On the other hand, I'm almost there to "elite" with Celebrity. Also, am brand new to Alaska. Whereas am a Caribbean "expert."

Here's my dilemma: Today I get an email from my TA about a special on the Solstice with all the perks, about the same time I booked the HA cruise. Only costs $400 more for an Aqua cabin. I am booked on an Aft on HA, because I heard it's the best view for an Alaskan cruise. I would be settling for a port or starboard cabin on X in either Aqua or concierge. The sailing is in June 2017.

I value your expertise and your being a "fanatic" like I am :) and look forward to your opinions and recommendations.

Thanks!

I would also choose the Millennium for a 7 night cruise over either of those two.

If you are limited to those two ships, I would pick the 9 night Solstice May 17 cruise which has a far superior itinerary.

It includes the lower Inside Passage one way, Hubbard Glacier, and Sitka.

You will miss the scenic lower Inside Passage on the 7 night cruises of either the Solstice or Oosterdam, but instead waste those 2 days cruising out at sea where the ships can go faster than in the Inside Passage.

Both their itineraries have relatively short port times and a late stop at Victoria.

If it has to be a 7 night Seattle round trip cruise, compare the itineraries and ports to see which you prefer.

On the 7 night cruises, Oosterdam will go to Hubbard Glacier and Sitka while Solstice will visit Tracy Arm and Skagway instead.

Edited by fleckle