Water levels in 2016????!!!!!

rarin2go

Have just checked if Emerald Waterways had chartered the Scenic Diamond on the Bourdoux route and they don't seem to have done but they do have a charter on the Nice Lyon route. Maybe the Diamond has been chartered by someone else. Scenic do only have one ship on the Bourdoux route at the moment.

CA

Then why not be forthright and advise booked guests accordingly?

That's one for them to answer of course, but the only way the current answer is credible is if there is something specific about the ship they are using that makes it more susceptible to low water issues than other ships.

Someone mentioned on the other thread that this ship may have a deeper draft than others in the fleet, so perhaps it really is a water level issue, but predictable so far in advance because of the nature of the ship rather than the river...

Low water excuse is poor but I can bet it has been chartered for alot more $$$ than the individual passengers could! It is all about the $$$ not anything else!

Figure out something else with another company;)

I would have no problem giving Scenic the shaft but I do give them credit for giving you ample notice to go with someone else:)

Edited by lahlah57
mispelling

Just googled Scenic Diamond itinerary for 2016 and it would appear that the Diamond is doing Amsterdam to Budapest in July and August, 2016. Web site is not that easy to follow, so I could be misinterpreting the information provided. This just keeps getting more interesting.! I really need to get out more. :D

... In fact, the Garonne is tidal most of the way to Bordeaux...
I did a river cruise out of Bordeaux late May - early June. Tides in downtown Bordeaux varied about 10 feet or more!
...or they're repositioning the boats to another area that's also "hot" now...
To move a river boat from the Bordeaux area to anywhere you would either

1) have to sail it in the Bay of Biscay (notoriously rough, and IMO asking for a disaster), or

2) charter a semi-submersible heavy lift transport vessel. These do not come cheap: Vantage and Viking shared one from Amsterdam to Marseille at a cost of US$2 million to move two boats to the Rhone.

Thom

I did a river cruise out of Bordeaux late May - early June. Tides in downtown Bordeaux varied about 10 feet or more!To move a river boat from the Bordeaux area to anywhere you would either

1) have to sail it in the Bay of Biscay (notoriously rough, and IMO asking for a disaster), or

2) charter a semi-submersible heavy lift transport vessel. These do not come cheap: Vantage and Viking shared one from Amsterdam to Marseille at a cost of US$2 million to move two boats to the Rhone.

Thom

So Thom, what do you think is reason they cancelled all cruises in July and August of next year giving the reason as "water levels"!? It doesn't make sense.

They low loaded Diamond to Bourdoux from Rotterdam and Sapphire and Emerald to the Rhone but Gem was towed from Rotterdam to the Seine. They may be doing it to assist with ship swapping but would it be cost effective? Although Diamond is one of their deeper drafted ships it is still most probably shallower drafted than many other companies vessels. CA

So Thom, what do you think is reason they cancelled all cruises in July and August of next year giving the reason as "water levels"!? It doesn't make sense.
I agree that "water levels" (for next year!) doesn't pass the smell test:rolleyes: The hypothesis by others of charters makes more sense than anything else I can think of, but I'm surprised they could arrange that many charters.

I think this is nothing more a risk assessment. They looked long and hard at this years issues, profitability and decided to back away. Announcing it as Low Water was stupid but then who said marketing people or the secretary typing a fast email really consider the impact of their words ;)