Is it the 1950s or the year 2016?

aussielozzie18

I love this thread! I divorced a year ago. My ex and I always loved cruising together. However, my boyfriend does not love the idea of cruising. I couldn't stand the thought of life without cruises, so I booked a solo cruise. Although I'm mid-40's, my parents seriously disapprove. I've gotten every imaginable rude comment. I am a little afraid to cruise by myself, but I refuse to die waiting to go on a cruise with someone else. Besides, I love the idea of doing what I want to do....for the first time ever. As I'm a teacher, I've gotten "How can you afford to do that?" I do scrimp and save every single month. I am on a budget. I do have to choose the cheapest cruise possible. But it is SO worth it because cruising is my favorite vacation. Thanks for all of your inspiring stories! I am looking forward to my first solo cruise!

Kathi, I hope you have a wonderful time:) and I am sorry your folks disapprove:(....my folks are gone but I remember

my Dad thinking it was wonderful that I had that "travel gene";p and he always thought it was neat that I went on my own.

He knew me..knew it was easy for me to meet people. My mom has been gone for many more years and she never

saw me going solo but I think she would have supported my decision too. Most folks want their kids to be happy and

if this makes you happy, maybe they will see that:)

Loved to Cruise: My spouse and I found our cruises to have been some of the travel highlights of our lives. He was gone nearly three years when I went on my first cruise, solo. It was a little bittersweet at moments...but in a good way. So much of the time I felt he was with me, that we were still sharing a good experience. And I really felt some moments of 'closure' in a way that I had not at any time since his passing. I hope you have a wonderful time and that it's the start of making a new set of memories for yourself. Bon voyage!

You're going to be just fine! I've been on a few solo cruises and many land vacations by myself. My next cruise is to Alaska and since I booked a balcony and already paid for a second passengers, I decided to gift a dear friend who's going through a rough divorce and take her with me. I'd be dishonest if I said I haven't had second thoughts a few times since I invited her! LOL. That's how much I love cruising solo. As long as you're open to it (people can tell) fellow passengers will strike up conversations with you and there are also the solo meet-ups where you'll find people to have dinner with it if you don't want to dine alone. Also, be sure to check out your roll call and if there's a meet and greet, you'll meet other Cruise Critic members on board.

Few of my friends have called me brave (it's usually strangers) because my friends know how much I love to cruise and how independent I am. :D

Thanks so much for that encouragement. I am really excited about it! I'm already saving for my next cruise! I've recently had a friend tell me she wanted to go. (Everyone seems to think I need company!) I had to tell her that I "needed to do this for myself". I'm looking forward to participating in lots of activities- my ex never wanted to participate even though I was active in my roll-calls. I think I'm most looking forward to having a neat, organized room! I hope you have an amazing time in Alaska. That's on my list!

Thanks so much for that encouragement. I am really excited about it! I'm already saving for my next cruise! I've recently had a friend tell me she wanted to go. (Everyone seems to think I need company!) I had to tell her that I "needed to do this for myself". I'm looking forward to participating in lots of activities- my ex never wanted to participate even though I was active in my roll-calls. I think I'm most looking forward to having a neat, organized room! I hope you have an amazing time in Alaska. That's on my list!

My ex is the same way! That's why cruising was the perfect vacation for us. Our daughter and I would go into the ports and have fun together and he would just stay on the ship. But, we both enjoyed it--we just enjoyed different things. Cruising solo is perfect for me because I can socialize when i feel like it and be alone when I want to. It's really a great way to travel solo. :)

Hi. I'm the OP. To all those who are about to dip their toes into cruising solo for the first time - dont be nervous (although that's natural) - just go for it - you will be surprised how much you will enjoy it and how friendly other cruisers are. And having a whole cabin to yourselves is bliss!

I enjoyed my first solo so much - I have just gone and booked another 10 day solo cruise. Can't wait.

Hi. I'm the OP. To all those who are about to dip their toes into cruising solo for the first time - dont be nervous (although that's natural) - just go for it - you will be surprised how much you will enjoy it and how friendly other cruisers are. And having a whole cabin to yourselves is bliss!

I enjoyed my first solo so much - I have just gone and booked another 10 day solo cruise. Can't wait.

So glad you had a great time! Now we can all say, "told you so!" ;)

I just finished my first solo cruise too. Loved it and booked the next one while still onboard [emoji3]

I loved having a cabin to myself as well. It made it not seem quite as small!

I was nervous and actually that was worse on the second day. I was questioning why I had gone. But those feelings went away pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums