First Time at Port Canaveral

loungingBear85

whats up everyone!

We have a cruise booked for Oct 16, 2017 to the Bahamas leaving Port. Canaveral (Monday-Friday) with Royal Caribbean. I have a few questions i would like some help with.

Before you asked here our quick 411:

Young couple in our early 30's

No kids on this trip

We both drink / I love cigars she doesn't yet lol

we have this time frame off ( Friday 10/13 - Sunday 10/22 )

WE are not want to renting a car

Questions:

Any hotels you recommend in the Port Canaveral area?

Any good restaurants ?

best way of transportation (to/from hotel,Port and etc.)

Any good cigar spots?

THANK YOU in advance and stay cruising friends!

We always drive to Port Canaveral and other FL ports. It is usually a total 10 hour drive for us from NC coast (and it takes us 2 1/2 hours to get to 95) to Cocoa. We stay at what is now America's Best Value Inn (it used to be an Econo Lodge) in Cocoa, the night before our cruise.

We park for free but pay the $10 shuttle fee for both ways. Rooms are clean and they have a simple breakfast each morning.They can be reached at 321-632-4561 or abvportcanaveral@yahoo.com.

We get off 95 at exit 205, the one after our GSP tells us to. Why? Because we pass a Publix and stop there for subs for dinner they make while I wait. We used to always go to a restaurant but we are tired from the drive and a restaurant takes up time before we can go to bed! We also pass a Wal-Mart if we need anything we forgot.

On most ships now there is one area for cigar smoking, usually the right (starboard) side of the lido/pool deck. You can ask about this at Guest Services.

You can get a drink package but you must drink 8-9 drinks a day to make it worthwhile. And the 15% tip is added later, not included in what you pay for the package. On some ships everyone in the cabin MUST buy it. And if you have it only you can buy a drink. You can't buy anyone else a drink- and the waiters watch for that!

We don't drink during the day, never 8-9, a day so we just pay per drink.

Edited by Bonnie J.

The nicest hotel in the Port Canaveral area is the Hilton located in Coco Beach about sixteen minutes away by car.

If you'd like to combine your trip with a nice hotel stay, you're better off staying at a nice resort in the Orlando area which about an hour away by car.

We have previously stayed in the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress which is an absolutely beautifully manicured property with tons of activities and complementary shuttles to the major theme parks.

You can easily get cabs here to take you to a host of very good restaurants nearby. I did some research and we visited several of the top restaurants in Disneyworld like the incredible California Grill atop the Contemporary Hotel in the Magic Kingdom.

If you're interested in cigars, good food and a nice resort you're much better off staying in the Orlando area and taking a car service to Port Canaveral.

Jonathan

We always drive to Port Canaveral and other FL ports. It is usually a total 10 hour drive for us from NC coast (and it takes us 2 1/2 hours to get to 95) to Cocoa. We stay at what is now America's Best Value Inn (it used to be an Econo Lodge) in Cocoa, the night before our cruise.

We park for free but pay the $10 shuttle fee for both ways. Rooms are clean and they have a simple breakfast each morning.They can be reached at 321-632-4561 or abvportcanaveral@yahoo.com.

We get off 95 at exit 205, the one after our GSP tells us to. Why? Because we pass a Publix and stop there for subs for dinner they make while I wait. We used to always go to a restaurant but we are tired from the drive and a restaurant takes up time before we can go to bed! We also pass a Wal-Mart if we need anything we forgot.

On most ships now there is one area for cigar smoking, usually the right (starboard) side of the lido/pool deck. You can ask about this at Guest Services.

You can get a drink package but you must drink 8-9 drinks a day to make it worthwhile. And the 15% tip is added later, not included in what you pay for the package. On some ships everyone in the cabin MUST buy it. And if you have it only you can buy a drink. You can't buy anyone else a drink- and the waiters watch for that!

We don't drink during the day, never 8-9, a day so we just pay per drink.

Thank you Bonnie for the suggestions. We live in Connecticut so it would be a 19+ hour drive for us. I drive for work and i don't want to drive that long for a vacation lol . but definitely will be looking into the Best America Value inn as a possibility. we are still debating if we want to fly in the day before or two-three days prior..

The nicest hotel in the Port Canaveral area is the Hilton located in Coco Beach about sixteen minutes away by car.

If you'd like to combine your trip with a nice hotel stay, you're better off staying at a nice resort in the Orlando area which about an hour away by car.

We have previously stayed in the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress which is an absolutely beautifully manicured property with tons of activities and complementary shuttles to the major theme parks.

You can easily get cabs here to take you to a host of very good restaurants nearby. I did some research and we visited several of the top restaurants in Disneyworld like the incredible California Grill atop the Contemporary Hotel in the Magic Kingdom.

If you're interested in cigars, good food and a nice resort you're much better off staying in the Orlando area and taking a car service to Port Canaveral.

Jonathan

Thank you jonathan for the idea. Will definitely look into the Orlando area hotels and things to do. I really want to enjoy myself and do nothing to wild.

Thank you Bonnie for the suggestions. We live in Connecticut so it would be a 19+ hour drive for us. I drive for work and i don't want to drive that long for a vacation lol . but definitely will be looking into the Best America Value inn as a possibility. we are still debating if we want to fly in the day before or two-three days prior..

I would rethink staying at that motel. You closer than you think to a very bad area. I live one more exit down on 95 and I would NEVER stay there. Better options near the port or in Cocoa Beach.

We have stayed there for many years for our cruises in FL. Never had a problem or saw any problems.

If you fly, you fly into Orlando, about 50 miles from the port. Think about coming a few days ahead of your cruise and going to Disney World, Sea world, etc. before your cruise.

Friends flying back to MI, took advantage of Carnivals' offer. They left their bags outside their door the last night. Carnival collected them, took them to the airport and checked them on our friend's plane. Don't remember the cost but they got their luggage when they got to the Detroit airport!

Again, I live in the area and I personally would not stay there. I'm glad that you've never had an issue but the area directly behind the hotel is a high crime area and it's not unheard for someone to get shot at the Waffle House.

Just stayed at this property this past December. Hot a 5 Star but it was clean for an older hotel and it's cheap ( booked thru Hotels.com) good hot breakfast included and a shuttle was available but it didn't leave till 12:30. I'd suggest a hotel closer to the beach if you want to upgrade.