Baltic on Aurora 2nd July

tokyo

Just a few questions about ports of call.

We are due to dock at the West Harbour of Helsinki. I don't know if there are going to be shuttle busses. How long would it take to walk to the city centre ?

In Tallinn, what is the best way to get to the old town ?

Thanks. Tokyo

Its quite a way from West Harbour - the P &O info (see sticky at top of the page) suggests it is about 3.5 km. , but that shuttle buses are provided.

When we docked there a few years ago we got the shuttle bus, and it was well worth it!

Tallin is easily walkable....cant remeber how long it took but wasnt that long. Its a lovely place.

Thanks Mysticalmother, We arrive in Helsinki at around 8am, so if they are running shuttle busses that would be great. I have to be back to Aurora by 12.30pm as my wife and I have a ships excursion booked which leaves at 1 pm.

As for Tallinn,My wife has mobility problems so has to use a walker when walking, so we will give it a try walking to the old town. She knows her limits and never pushes herself to do things. That is why I will go into Helsinki on my own.

tokyo

I have limited mobility and found Tallin the most difficult port of call on our Baltic cruise. We took a taxi to the top of Toompea Hill and walked down to the main square. It cost 10 Euros.

There are a lot of cobblestones and uneven pavements. There is a Dotto train that goes from the square around the old town, which is traffic free.

Just back from the same cruise on Azura.

My experience was that if they are charging for the shuttlebus its easily walkable unless you have mobility issues. If the bus is free then the distance is greater and may or may not even be achievable in the given time.

The west harbour in Helsinki is about 10 mins walk from the terminal to the tram which then takes around 10 minutes into town. Helsinki is a very pleasant city and well worth a wander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The west harbour in Helsinki is about 10 mins walk from the terminal to the tram which then takes around 10 minutes into town. Helsinki is a very pleasant city and well worth a wander.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers Kev.

We were on Arcadia a few years back and one of the ship's excursions in Talinn was in a minibus which was allowed into the old town. The driver was very good and we stopped for photo opportunities and found it ideal for those unable to walk distances.

I concur that if you have mobility problems Tallinn is not the place to go walking. A friend who is perfectly fit and well went there a few years ago, and even she complained that it was hard on the knees and feet with all the cobbles and uneven surfaces.