Caviar in the Surf @ Meditterenean

stan1980

Hi Fellow cruisers,

First time Seabourner here.

Booked on the June 25th Odyssey cruise from Athens to Istanbul.

Ports of call: Athens - Crete - Marmaris - Kusadasi - Patmos - Mykonos - Bozcaada - Istanbul.

Will there likely be a Caviar in the Surf event on this cruise? :D

Thanx,

Stan

There almost definitely will *not* be a Caviar in the Surf event - there is only a small handful of locations where Seabourn can put on such an event due to the logistics involved.

You almost definitely will have a Caviar in the Pool event though and will be able to enjoy caviar whenever you want while on board.

Most of my cruises on SB have been in the Med and I have never encountered Caviar in the Surf -- only done that in Thailand and the Caribbean. And I seem to recall on my Med cruises the couple of times it was done it was on a sea day. Our upcoming 14 day Istanbul to Athens to Venice cruise does not have any sea days so I doubt we will see this event. Stan, does you cruise have any sea days?

We have done many Mediterranean cruises on Seabourn, and have never had caviar in the surf or the pool. There will certainly be caviar-related events, but I think almost certainly just on deck, like the Officer's epicurean evening.

Personally, I think the best way to enjoy caviar if you like it is to order it - for instance in the Club before dinner, when it is easier to handle and enjoy sitting down, with a table. It is, of course, free, or should I say, included.

Most of my cruises on SB have been in the Med and I have never encountered Caviar in the Surf -- only done that in Thailand and the Caribbean. And I seem to recall on my Med cruises the couple of times it was done it was on a sea day. Our upcoming 14 day Istanbul to Athens to Venice cruise does not have any sea days so I doubt we will see this event. Stan, does you cruise have any sea days?

No, there's no sea day on our itinerary (unfortunately, I like them, they're relaxing).

So I guess I'll just order the caviar then. ;)

In my experiences there are certain highlights or signature events depending on the region. In the Caribbean, you have the beach barbecue with caviar in the surf. In the Med, what used to be the deck barbecue with dancing under the stars has now been replaced by the epicurean event. Dancing under the stars is combined with dessert served on deck on a different evening.

I have also seen caviar served off of a surfboard in the Med on marina day. Rather gimmicky and not at all luxurious, I think it was an exception and not the norm. I haven't seen it repeated, but then again I can't remember the last time I participated in marina day activities, they always seem to get cancelled and I have lost interest. After witnessing 2 pax needing to be rescued on separate occassions off the back of The Windsurf, and myself coming close to needing assistance off the back of SeaDream, the novelty has worn off.

Enjoy your caviar in the Observation lounge, in your cabin or in the MDR. That is a much more luxurious experience. However, and this is a plea to everyone out there, please don't overdo the caviar experience. I'm hoping that this special treat will still be available for years to come on Seabourn. All the other luxury cruise lines now charge extra for caviar certainly due to overzealous passengers.

Without wishing to rain on anyone's parade I find the Caviar in the pool event pretty tacky.Its a very pale shadow of the iconic signature event.

A postage stamp pool, folk who have had too much sun,fizz or both and the unfortunate crew members who have drawn the short straw huddling at one end. Then an unseemly scramble to shove as much of the black stuff down the gullet in the shortest possible time.

Lacks class and IMHO Seabourn should stick to the real thing on an equatorial beach(if possible) or not at all.

Stan1980 - I just reread your original post. You mentioned that Kusadasei is one of your ports of call. There you will have a very special event, though not caviar related, it is definitely something to look forward to - an evening at Ephesus. Have a great cruise.

I think that the Caviar in the Pool is now a "signature" event along with the block party. We've had one on every sailing I've done with the exception of the one with Caviar in the Surf in the Caribbean. I think the "in the Pool" version is rather silly - but then I always hear passengers get excited that "yay, we will have caviar" and realize than many don't know they can have it whenever they want.

Stan1980 - I just reread your original post. You mentioned that Kusadasei is one of your ports of call. There you will have a very special event, though not caviar related, it is definitely something to look forward to - an evening at Ephesus. Have a great cruise.

Thank you for that info! Looking forward to it!:)

Thanx everybody for getting back on my question.

I do agree with most of you that caviar-events should remain exclusive, and not to be approached as "how much caviar can someone guzzle down in the least amount of time".

These kind of guests will most probably spoil this Seabourn-thing for future cruisers. :(

I think I'm just gonna order my caviar pre-dinner, on my verandah, after a busy portday, with a nice glass of champagne watching the sun set into the sea.

Thats luxury to me. ;)

WE just returned from a trip on the Odyssey from Barcelona to Istanbul. The most fun we had was the last night when we joined three Brits for dinner in the main dining room. We all wanted some caviar so we each received a full serving with all the condiments as our appetizer! It was wonderful fun!

:)

... I think the "in the Pool" version is rather silly - but then I always hear passengers get excited that "yay, we will have caviar" and realize than many don't know they can have it whenever they want.
We had Caviar in the Pool on our recent Odyssey cruise and we thought it was great fun! Many people seemed to know that caviar was always available. It was a rare day that we didn't see it delivered to the Club, the OB, the MDR and even poolside. We ordered it several times, including to our room on our final day aboard. The room service guy told us they were very busy with caviar orders that day and were expecting many more orders the next day. I expressed surprise since the next day was disembarkation. He then told us that many people order caviar for their final breakfast aboard! Who knew?

We had Caviar in the Pool on our recent Odyssey cruise and we thought it was great fun! Many people seemed to know that caviar was always available. It was a rare day that we didn't see it delivered to the Club, the OB, the MDR and even poolside. We ordered it several times, including to our room on our final day aboard. The room service guy told us they were very busy with caviar orders that day and were expecting many more orders the next day. I expressed surprise since the next day was disembarkation. He then told us that many people order caviar for their final breakfast aboard! Who knew?

We were also on The Odyssey, for 3 months, and had Caviar in the Pool on a couple of occasions. I agree, it was good fun. We didn't actually get into the pool, but thoroughly enjoyed watching everyone else having a great time. The crew don't "draw the short straw", they also enjoy it. Some people just don't seem to know how to enjoy themselves, or get enjoyment out of others having fun. So far I have seen the words, tacky, classless, silly, and "shoving the black stuff down the gullet"........don't agree with any of those comments!

I agree that the best way to enjoy caviar is on my own veranda with a glass of Champagne after a nice day ashore or at the pool, but I also love it at other events. Count me also as one who orders it for breakfast the final day. A special treat!

There almost definitely will *not* be a Caviar in the Surf event - there is only a small handful of locations where Seabourn can put on such an event due to the logistics involved.

You almost definitely will have a Caviar in the Pool event though and will be able to enjoy caviar whenever you want while on board.

It seems they may also forgo the caviar in the wherever event and just serve it with the epicurean tables or whatever the market galley lunch replacement that the serve right before dinner is called.

… The crew don't "draw the short straw", they also enjoy it...
So true. Staff participating in our event included HD, CD, F&B Manager and Restaurant Manager. I'm pretty sure they didn't pull the short straw and could have gotten out of it if they wanted! But rather they seemed to be having as much fun as the rest of us.