Labadee - Seapass Card

Beachammo

Your lunch will be provided and all your drinks you can use sea pass card. There are many locals and local shopping and you will need cash.

In fact, bring small bills because many of the items are very low cost and if you bring out a $20 or god forbid a $50.00 dollar bill they will not have change or raise the prices since they see you have money to spend. Bring lots of $1.00 and $5.00

Will be visiting Labadee for the first time next week. Can I use the Seapass card for purchases on the island or do I need to bring cash.

Thanx

The SeaPass card will work for most purchases, but you will need cash to buy items from the local vendors such as those in the straw market.

Edited by clarea

Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody remember years ago when you purchased "Labadee Dollars" on the ship to use to buy drinks on shore? Still have one or two of them...Wonder what they're worth today!;)

Thanks for the low down on Labadee

I got some old "Disney Dollars" that are worth much more than I paid for them.

Will be visiting Labadee for the first time next week. Can I use the Seapass card for purchases on the island or do I need to bring cash.

Thanx

You use your Seapass card for beverages, the coster, but bring a few dollars to tip the beach attendents if you get a beach chair. Also there are local vendors who only take cash.

also, the vendors in the straw market; while kind, are extremely aggressive. Hard to blame them for trying to make a living and we did make purchases but it was very uncomfortable for me and my son. They hand you items over and over again, they will make it difficult to leave their booths and when you don't want to buy they tell you a sad story. I really struggled during my visit but maybe I just have a very tender heart

Just don't go to the straw market...and if you do....don't be "friendly" unless you want a "hard sell"....These "locals" have been doing this aggressiveness for YEARS and they know that some of us are going to buy just to get rid of them. Why RCI allows this, I don't know! Avoid it, if you don't enjoy this sort of "shopping"!

Just don't go to the straw market...and if you do....don't be "friendly" unless you want a "hard sell"....These "locals" have been doing this aggressiveness for YEARS and they know that some of us are going to buy just to get rid of them. Why RCI allows this, I don't know! Avoid it, if you don't enjoy this sort of "shopping"!

Years ago they were worse and in the first years they could not be avoided. Labelee is has been redone a couple of times over the years. In the current configuration the aggressive vendors have been placed so they can be avoided. I am sure that was done because of complaints.

Years ago they were worse and in the first years they could not be avoided. Labelee is has been redone a couple of times over the years. In the current configuration the aggressive vendors have been placed so they can be avoided. I am sure that was done because of complaints.

So tell me how to avoid them please!

So tell me how to avoid them please!

By not going to their area. The stalls of the agressive vendors are in the Artisan Village which is seperated off the road to Columbus Cove so you would have to go off the road to visit their stalls. In other words you would have to make a concious decision that you want to shop there. There is also the Artisan Market in the Town Square which is in a building. In the Artisan Market they are not agressive at all. They even take credit cards. The prices will be higher in the Artisan Market than the Artisan Village, in the village you bargain with the vendors.